*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903062-Caveman
Rated: E · Fiction · Mystery · #1903062
A flash fiction using the words spear, table and rock.
I awoke to the faint sound of footsteps coming toward me. A bright light filled the hall outside the doorway, the only light I could see. It flickered rapidly back and forth from wall to floor, like a dust cloud reflecting the moonlight. I stopped dead in my tracks and held my breath, rubbing my eyes in a vain attempt to adjust to the lack of light in the rest of the room.

I ducked under a table and looked around, trying to compose myself, searching for something I could use in my defense if the need arose. Where was I? The large mouth of a cave stood behind me, looming and black, smaller rocks and pebbles surrounding its entry. I hurried towards it, my feet sliding along the strangely slick floor, only to find that it was not nearly deep enough to hide me. Panicking and unsure of what was coming for me, I picked up a rock in preparation to hurl it toward the approaching stranger.

As the footsteps grew louder, something glistening caught my eye. I walked towards it, dutifully keeping my eye trained on the light from the hallway as it grew brighter and brighter, footsteps still clunking one after the other. Touching the object, I immediately drew blood, slicing my finger on its piercing stone edge. It was a spear. I picked it up, certain that it could protect me from the fast-approaching invader. With arms extended outward and spear in hand, I prepared to attack.

The gangly silhouette of a man cautiously rounded the corner of the doorway carrying a strange tube in his hand from which the gleaming light shone, brighter than the sun. I grunted at him, loud and guttural, warning him off with my new-found weapon. I could see his mouth drop open in horror.

With eyes wide, the man dropped his tube-light, turned back round and ran for the hall from which he'd just emerged, a piercing scream filling my ears. The loud clatter of footsteps that so frightened me just moments ago faded quickly into the night.

Pleased that I had scared away the invader, I cautiously continued forward. As I passed the tube of light, I was careful not to disturb it; I had no idea how to harness its mystical powers and did not dare attempt to do so just yet. I passed it quickly on the floor and continued beyond the door myself, venturing further into the hall beyond.

Turning around to view my waking spot once again, I noticed a strange carving on the wall, encased between a solid frame of wood. Even though I could not read it, I remember that it said, "C-A-V-E-M-A-N E-X-H-I-B-I-T".
© Copyright 2012 graecyn (graecyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903062-Caveman