*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903161-A-Kiss-In-The-Moonlight---Chapter-Four
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Romance/Love · #1903161
Chapter Four of A Kiss In The Moonlight
A Kiss In The Moonlight - Chapter Four


Melanie blushed as she looked over at Angela and waited to hear what else she had to say.

“Come on Melanie, if you two are a couple he deserves a better kiss than that. Kiss him like you mean it.” Snickered Angela with a hint of malice in her voice as she looked straight into Melanie’s eyes.

Zack grabbed Melanie and pulled her into his warm embrace. He lifted her face to meet his as he brought his lips to hers and began to nibble on her bottom lip.

Lucas saw this and was about to stop Zack when Angela turned to him, “Looks like they really are a couple. I didn’t believe it at first, but now I’m convinced.”

Lily stood next to Lucas and turned her body completely towards Angela, “Why would you doubt their relationship? That doesn’t make sense.”

“I really thought Melanie was after Viktor.”

Lucas turned to Angela, “My sister isn’t interested in Viktor, not even a little bit. Her heart is clearly with Zack.”

Angela looked at Lucas for a few seconds before she answered, “I guess its easier to blame Melanie.” She let out a long breath and watched as Melanie and Zack were still kissing. “I guess I want someone to kiss me the way Zack is kissing Melanie.

Lucas cleared his throat hoping the two of them would end their kiss but no such luck. Finally he walked over and said, “Enough, come up for air.”

Melanie immediately pulled out of the kiss and put her head down, “I’m um, well, oh, um, yeah.”

Zack laughed, “Yeah, what she said.”

Lily moved next to Melanie, “Girl, that was probably the longest kiss in history. So, how was it?”

Melanie blushed and put her head down staring at the boots her mother bought her. After a few seconds she swallowed her pride and found her nerve and smiled, “It was honestly amazing. Perfect really.”

Zack looked at Angela, “Still doubt that Melanie is my girlfriend?”

“Seriously? One little kiss and suddenly I’m supposed to be a believer. I’ll believe it when I see you two together all the time.” said Angela clearly being spiteful and slightly envious.

“If Zack isn’t really Melanie’s boyfriend, I’ll be.” said Frankie as he moved closer to Melanie trying to wrap his arm around her.

Zack shoved Frankie, “Dude, don’t start something you can’t finish. Melanie is my girlfriend and it’s not up for debate.”

“Oh my bad.” said Frankie, “I thought you were just playing around.”

Zack stepped directly in front of Frankie, “Since when do I play around about something as serious as this?”

“Um, never I, um, guess.”

Zack turned and was ready to continue his conversation with Melanie but she wasn’t where he last saw her. He walked over to Lucas, “Dude, where’s Melanie?”

“What are you talking about? She was with you the last time I checked.” said Lucas as he began to scan the entire area.

Zack began to call Melanie’s cell phone and listened for the sound and took off like a bat out of hell.

“I’m serious, Zack really is my boyfriend. Now can I please pass?” asked Melanie over to Viktor.

“No. Not until you tell me what I want to hear.” Growled Viktor as he closed the distance between the two of them.

Melanie looked up at Viktor, “I don’t understand what you want to hear, aren’t you with someone?”

“I don’t care about her, I wanted you the first moment I saw you, but you had to have known that.”

“Really? This is crazy talk Viktor. I need to get back to my boyfriend before he thinks the worst.” said Melanie as she tried her best to push past Viktor.

Viktor grabbed Melanie and turned her to him, “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” said Zack as he walked over to Viktor and pulled Melanie towards him. He looked at her and felt her shaking, “Seriously, what is your obsession with my girl? Look at her, she’s terrified right now. Great job Viktor.”
Viktor put his hands in his pocket and looked at Melanie and actually felt really bad, “I swear I didn’t mean to scare you. I just really like you. I liked you from that first moment I saw you walk out of the restaurant and sit in your truck crying. It did something to me. Hell, I almost punched your brother in the face for upsetting you like that.”

Zack wrapped his arms around Melanie, “Come on, let’s go get something to eat before we head home.”

Melanie turned and looked up at Zack and smiled, “I’d like that.”

Zack smiled and took her hand as they walked toward Lucas, “I’m taking Melanie to go get something to eat.”

Lucas looked at Melanie and raised his eyebrow, “Um, you just ate not even two hours ago.”

Melanie smiled, “So, I’ll eat again, besides my boyfriend is hungry.”

Zack smiled as he looked at Melanie loving the way that sounded, “Yeah, her boyfriend’s hungry.”

Lucas turned to Lily, “Will you come with us to get something to eat?”

Lily looked up at Lucas and smiled shyly, “Sure, why not, come to think of it, I’m a little hungry.”

“Perfect. Why don’t you drop your car off at home and ride with me?” asked Lucas.

Zack took Melanie’s hand and led her to his truck and helped her in. He got in and began to drive and kept glancing over at Melanie.

“What’s wrong?” asked Zack.

“Don’t you think this charade is kind of silly? Won’t people pick up on the fact that you and I aren’t really boyfriend and girlfriend?” asked Melanie as she looked over at Zack.

“What are you talking about? You are my girlfriend, I wasn’t joking. Tell me you didn’t feel something when I kissed you.” asked Zack as he reached over and took Melanie’s hand in his.

Melanie blushed, “That kiss shouldn’t have happened. It was a mistake.”

“That wasn’t a mistake Melanie, you know it and I know it and now everyone else knows it. Just relax and go with the flow.”

“Relax? Are you kidding me? I don’t want a boyfriend, I haven’t even had a chance to really talk to anyone else before you up and sealed my fate.”

Zack glanced over at Melanie, “Trust me, not one of the guys at school are even worth your time. I’m the best choice plus your only choice. Get used to it, because I’m going to let you know you’re mine every chance I get.”

“Not really sure how my parents are going to take this news.” said Melanie looking for any excuse to get out of the current situation.

“Listen Melanie, if there was going to be a problem with you being my girl don’t you think Lucas would have spoke up? I mean come on.”

Melanie inhaled and let her breath out slowly as she digested all that Zack just said. “Okay, but how about how I feel? You called yourself Saint Peter for crying out loud. Who does that kind of stuff?”

Zack did his best to control his laughter, “Come on, that was classic and you know it.”

Melanie relaxed a little and laughed, “It was really funny, I’ll give you that.”

“Jesus, you were practically naked and that was all I could come up with, well besides.”

“Don’t say it. Don’t even think it.” said Melanie covering her ears, “I’m not trying to hear any of that.”

Zack laughed at Melanie as he pulled into the parking lot for the restaurant. He turned off the engine and quickly got out and helped her. As he did, he couldn’t help himself and kissed her gently on her cheek and smiled as he noticed her blushing.

“I couldn’t seem to help myself.”

“Just don’t make it a habbit and we’ll be just fine.” said Melanie as she stepped away from Zack.

“I’m your boyfriend, I plan on kissing you whenever I want.”

“Stop saying that Zack!”

“Why? It’s true Melanie.” said Zack as he gently moved Melanie’s hair away from her face. “Repeat after me, I’m Zack’s girlfriend.” as soon as he said that he pulled Melanie towards him and waited for her to repeat it.”

“Don’t be ridiculous I’m not repeating that.” said Melanie.

Zack smirked at Melanie, “I know that I’ll have you saying that one of these days.”

“Good lord, now you’re a fortune teller too, that’s quite a resume you have for someone so young.”

“Go ahead Miss Southern Belle, have your fun now, I can guarantee that you will be saying you’re my girlfriend over and over again.”

Melanie blushed and rolled her eyes at Zack’s comment as she pushed him away from her, “I thought you were hungry,”

He smirked at her, “I know I’m getting to you.” He casually slipped his arm around her waist and led her into the diner. The second he walked in a woman in her mid twenties smiled over at them and made her way over to assist them.

“Hi, may we have a booth please? There will be four of us.” said Zack pulling Melanie a little closer to him once he spotted a bunch of guys sitting at a round table.

The table of guys watched as Zack and Melanie were seated and made comments about Melanie as she walked by. Zack did his best and tried to ignore it but the comments got louder and became quite vulgar. They made it to their booth and were seated. At first Zack sat across from Melanie but quickly moved next to her making sure he moved extra close.

Melanie moved as close to the wall as possible and still Zack was extremely close to her. She looked at him out of her peripheral vision and realized how big he really is. She moved over a little more to give him room but it didn’t matter, he was still directly next to her.

“Want me to sit on the other side so you have more room?” asked Melanie as she knew she couldn’t move any closer to the wall.

Zack moved his arm and placed it around her as he slowly turned to face her, “No, I don’t want you on the other side, I want you right next to me.” as he said that he heard one of the guys saying something extra loud about Melanie, “Excuse me for one second, I need to take care of something.” He jumped up and walked over to the guy with the big mouth. Words were exchanged but his point was made and understood. He made his way back to Melanie, sat down and began looking at the menu that arrived while he walked away.

“Everything okay?” asked Melanie.

“Yes, everythings fine.”

Melanie’s phone beeped, she pulled out her phone and quickly responded and watched the door for her brother and Lily.

“My brother just parked.”

Zack smiled over at Melanie, “You were nervous for me when I went over to set those clowns straight, weren’t you?”

Melanie sat there staring at the placemat in front of her like it was the holy grail and just stared at it for a good thirty seconds before she finally turned to Zack, “If you must know, I was slightly worried about you. There’s like six of them and only one of you.”

“So you counted them?” asked Zack with an unreadable expression.

“It’s really not that difficult to do Zack, especially when they keep making comments about me. What would you do if that were a table of girls saying hot, sexy things about you?” asked Melanie feeling like she one upped him.

“I’d wrap my arms around you and kiss you the way we kissed earlier. That’ll give them something to talk about.” said Zack as he possessively pulled her into his arms and did exactly that. When the kiss ended he purposely pulled her bottom lip with his teeth, “Now those fools know you are truly mine. I just marked my territory.”

Melanie blushed as she put her eyes in the downcast position, “Please stop doing that.”

“No Melanie, I don’t ever plan to stop kissing you.” as he said that he lifted her chin and gently brought her face to meet his, “Kissing you is amazing.”

Lucas spotted both Zack and Melanie as he and Lily made their way over to the table.

“Hope we’re not interrupting something.” said Lucas as he looked at both Zack and Melanie.

Zack smiled, “Nope, not at all.”

From the table across the way, “Hey Lily, does mom know you’re here?”

Lily blushed, “Excuse me, I need to go speak to my brother.”

Melanie’s jaw dropped, “Your brother?” as she looked at the guy that was saying such rude things now talking to Lily.
Zack felt Melanie tense up and whispered, “I promise I won’t let anyone bother you, even when you aren’t with me. Everyone will know you’re mine and will leave you alone.”

Lucas looked at his sister, “What’s wrong?”

“Lily’s brother was saying some really rude things loud enough for your sister and I to hear.” said Zack as he looked over at Lily’s brother as he explained things to Lucas.

Lily walked over, “Sorry about that, my brother was asking me a bunch of questions.” said Lily as she smiled over at Melanie. “My mom wants you to come over tomorrow for breakfast, since I’m spending the entire day with you.” she moved to the inside of the booth and scooted directly across from Melanie, “Would that be alright with you?”

Zack felt his blood boil as he listened to Lily invite Melanie over to her house. He gently moved Melanie’s hair away from her face so he could see her face and waited to hear how she would respond.

“Lily,” said Melanie as she moved a little closer, “I don’t mean to be rude or start any problems, but I’m almost positive I heard your brother say some very inappropriate things about me in front of his friends and I kind of feel uncomfortable going to your house now. I don’t want to make any problems, I mean, I just met you, but I’m sure Zack would probably be climbing the walls if I went.”

Zack let out a collective breath and actually did the dance of joy in his mind while he waited to hear how Lily would respond.

“Wait, my brother?” asked Lily as she looked over at him. “Are you sure?”

“I’m as close to positive as I can be. Zack went over and said something to him so ask Zack.”

Lily waited for Zack to confirm and watched as he nodded his head. She looked at Lucas, “Please excuse me for a minute I need a word with my brother.”

Lucas looked at Lily, “Listen, let it go, don’t do it now this isn’t the time or the place.”

Lily smiled up at Lucas, “Fine, but when I get home he and I are going to have it out.” She looked at Melanie, “I’m really sorry that happened but I promise it won’t happen again. It would really mean a lot to me if you come and meet my parents tomorrow.”

“Sure, what time?”

“We usually have breakfast around ten.”

Lucas wrapped his arm around Lily, “Is this just a girl thing? Where’s my invitation?”

“Sorry, I don’t really want my mom to know about you yet so its just us girls.” said Lily as she shook her head and smiled.

“Just keep your brother away from my sister, I don’t want to have to bail Zack out of jail or anything.” said Lucas looking out for his sister and helping out a fellow dude at the same time.

Zack and Lucas pounded their fists while the girls laughed. They all looked at the menu’s and placed their orders, as soon as the waitress walked away Lily’s brother walked over with his friends.

He didn’t look at his sister just kept his eyes directly on Melanie, “So you’re the new girl in town that everyone’s been talking about.”

Melanie blushed and shyly looked away.

“Ah look, she’s blushing.” said one of his friends, “You’re right, she really is gorgeous.

Zack punched the table and Melanie immediately took his hand in her’s and squeezed it tight.

Lily looked at her brother with a look of utter disappointment. He winked at his sister and pulled his friends away from the table and left the restaurant.

“Sorry about that, I’m going to talk to my brother when I get home.” said Lily as she looked across the table at Melanie.

The waitress came over and began putting down everyone’s food. Melanie looked over at Zack, smiled as she reached her right hand out to gently touch his face and move it so he would look at her. She felt him begin to smile as she placed a soft kiss on his cheek.

“What was that for?” he asked as he placed his right hand on her left thigh.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“I just felt like doing that.” said Melanie as she looked at him but blushed.

Zack smiled, “You are simply beautiful, but you know that already.”

Lucas wanted to liven up the moment, “Please, if her head gets any bigger she won’t fit through doorways. I mean really.”

Lily started laughing, “Leave her alone, she can’t help the fact that she’s beautiful, don’t hate.”

“Yeah, don’t hate.” said Melanie as she lifted up her soda and began to take a sip.

Zack watched Melanie as she moved her ice cream sundae in front of her, “Are you going to eat that all by yourself.”

“That’s the plan.”

“Can I have a bite?” asked Zack as he watched Melanie scoop up some ice cream on her spoon.

She looked over at him, “Well, bring your mouth over here.”

Zack winked at Melanie, “You don’t have to say that to me twice.” Instead of bringing his mouth to the spoon she held out for him he quickly opened his mouth and kissed her then took the ice cream off the spoon, smiling the entire time.

Lucas shook his head, “Gotta say Mel, you left yourself open for that one.” He laughed as he looked over at Lily.

“Don’t even think about it, I do not share my food.”

“Oh god Lily, that was the wrong thing to say to my brother.” She rolled her eyes and shook her head as she looked at her ice cream then up at Lily again, “You just invited him to steal your food every chance he gets.”

“Yup. You sure did.” said Lucas as he moved his plate even closer to Lily and watched her cover her food with her arms. “I hope you don’t think that is going to stop me.” whispered Lucas as he stole three french fries right off her plate and quickly shoved them in his mouth.

“Is nothing sacred around here? This is mine, that’s yours. If you really must have a bite I will do my best to share but with a brother like mine its not easy.” She looked over at Melanie and winked.

Everyone ate their food and made small talk. The waitress walked over,  “I’m sorry, which one of you is the new girl?”

Zack looked up at the waitress, “She is why?”
“One of the guys from the roudy table left this for you.” she said as she handed Melanie an envelope with hearts drawn all over it.

“Thank you.” said Melanie as she smiled at the waitress and quickly put the envelope in her purse and looked over at Lily.

“I’m going to talk to my brother when I get home. I’ll get to the bottom of it. I promise.” said Lily, “I don’t know what’s got into him, he never acts like that.”

“Its because Melanie’s with me, come on, you know it and I know it and so does this entire town. I’m the worse possible person for her according to everyone.”

Lucas looked at Zack, “Dude, what are you talking about? Why does everyone seem to hate you?”

Zack let out a long collective breath and shook his head, “There’s been a bunch of things that have happened in this town and I was always the last person seen and somehow I end up getting blamed.”

“Like what?”

Zack looked out the window and stared out for a few seconds before he decided to answer, “A few years ago, the town had a huge party at the old abandoned barn. A bunch of us were all having fun, drinking and joking around. Sometime during the night the entire barn went on fire and burnt to a crisp leaving nothing. Firefighters were injured, police were called and they deemed it arsen.”

Lily looked over at Lucas and took his hand, “Zack got blamed because he was so drunk that night and was dancing around, kissing all the ladies, and basically being a nusance.”

Zack looked at Lily, “Thanks for reminding me. Anyway, all the guys that I thought were my friends began to point their fingers at me. I became an out cast and everywhere I go people whisper and talk about me. But there is no evidence that I ever started that fire. Nothing.”

“I still don’t believe it was you. I’ve always thought it was something Viktor would do. That whole thing has his name all over it.” said Lily as she looked over at Zack.

Zack ran both his hands through his hair, “I don’t know but I do know that the truth always has a way of coming out. It’s not something I would ever do, drunk, hi, or drugged, fire is not my thing.”

“Wow.” said Melanie, “I can’t believe my boyfriend is a pyro.” and she started laughing. “isn’t Pryo a character in a movie or something?”

Lucas looked at sister, “Yeah, X-Men. Let’s watch the whole series tomorrow.” As he said that he looked at Zack, “Listen, did anyone die from that accident?”

Zack shook his head, “No.”

“That’s a good thing,” said Lucas, “listen, we don’t have the right to pass judgement on anyone, my parents are firm believers of that and have been preaching it to us since we were babies.” as he said that he stuffed a french fry in his mouth, “I’m with Lily, my money’s on that snake Viktor. I didn’t like him the moment I saw him stalking my sister, neither did my father and he likes everyone.”

“Really? I didn’t know that.” asked Melanie.

“Why do you think I was outside? He was having a cow in the restaurant about his little Princess being stalked.” said Lucas in an odd voice.

Lily laughed, “So I take it you’re your daddy’s little girl too. It’s fun, but pisses off my brother all the time.”

“Yeah, I can relate.” said Lucas as he looked over at Zack, “Melanie has my father wrapped around her pinky.”

“That’s right, don’t hate.” said Melanie as she stuck her tongue out at her brother.

Zack looked at Melanie, “So let me get this straight, the town bad boy is dating daddy’s little Princess? I have a feeling this isn’t going to go over to well with pops once he hears about all the bad things I’ve done.”

“I would worry more about me than my father.” said Melanie as she looked directly at Zack with a huge smile.

“Really?” asked Zack as he looked at Melanie and felt his heart pick up speed from nerves all of a sudden.

“Yes really. I hope all this chatter and gossip about you isn’t as bad as everyone is making it sound.” said Melanie doing her best to keep a straight face but once she noticed Zack’s expression change she took his hand, “I’m only kidding.”

Everyone at the table let out their breath at the exact same time.

“That wasn’t funny Princess, not funny at all.” said Zack as he pulled her into him and squeezed her, “You hurt my feelings.”

“Ah, I’m sorry.” said Melanie as she went to kiss him on the cheek but Zack quickly turned his face so he got her lips.

She shook her head, “Would you excuse me, I just need to use the ladies room.” said Melanie as she looked at Zack.

“Sure, it’s right over there.” He said as he pointed for her as he stood up and helped her out. She made her way inside and quickly took care of business and as she washed her hands the waitress walked in.

“Listen, I’ve lived in this town for a real long time.” she paused, “My name is Lucy by the way.”

“Melanie, nice to meet you.”

“There’s a bunch of rumors floating around town about me too, I just ignore them. But I don’t believe it was Zack that caused any of the problems he’s accused of. I just wanted you to hear this from someone older and also an outcast.”

“Jesus, what kind of town did my father move us to?” asked Melanie as she looked in her purse and pulled out her lip gloss and began applying it.

“It’s an extremely wealthy town with old money, affairs, jealousy, deceit, and greed. Just watch yourself, you’re beautiful, the women and their daughters in this town will be extremely jealous of you and won’t hesitate to link you in a rumor or scandal.”

“Wow. That’s so sad.” said Melanie as she looked at the waitress. “I’m sorry both you and Zack were the punching bag for this town, hopefully I’ll be here for a year and a half and go off to college. My family is against rumors and gossip it’s mean and hurtful.”

“I better get going. Nice to meet you Melanie, I hope to see you again and if you ever need a shoulder to cry on, I’m here.”

“Thank you Lucy.” said Melanie as she looked at the envelope in her purse and decided against opening it. She made her way back to the table and saw Zack talking to an older man. She went to sit down but her brother stood up the second he noticed her.

“Come on, I have to get Lily home. Go say good night to Zack and meet me outside.” said Lucas as he took Lily’s hand and walked her to his truck.

Melanie walked over to where Zack was and waited a few seconds but didn’t want to be rude and disturb him so she quietly made her way out of the diner and straight to her brothers truck and got in.

She paid attention to her surroundings so she would remember how to get to Lily’s house tomorrow and was already planning her outfit in her mind.

Lucas stopped in front of Lily’s house and watched her walk inside and waited until she closed the door. While he watched, Melanie jumped in the front seat and buckled up.

“This was an interesting evening, don’t you think?” asked Melanie as her and her brother headed home.”

“Interesting is an understatement.” said Lucas as he concentrated on driving on the dark, winding roads. “I really like Lily, she seems amazing.”

“Yeah, she does. Just have to get used to their way of speaking though, it seems so different.”

Lucas laughed, “They’re probably saying that about us. We sound so different, I don’t even want to talk half the time.”

“That’ll be a first brother dear.” said Melanie as the two of them made it home and made their way inside.

“Hey kids, did you have fun tonight?” asked their mom.

“Dad, prepare yourself your little Princess has a boyfriend now.”

Their father looked up from reading his paper, “Excuse me? What?”

“Yup, Melanie has a boyfriend.” said Lucas being a trouble maker.

“That’s great.” said their mother as she hugged her little girl. “Is he handsome?”

Melanie blushed, “He is mom.”

“You’ll meet him tomorrow.” said Lucas as he made his way downstairs to his room and closed the door.

“Princess, he better treat you right or I’m going to have a problem with him.” said her father as he looked at his daughter.

“I know daddy. I’m going to bed, I have to get up early tomorrow.” said Melanie as she walked over and kissed her dad good night. Her mother smiled as her daughter kissed her, “My baby has a boyfriend. Wow.”

“Oh mom, don’t listen to Lucas, he’s such a trouble maker.” She made her way upstairs and turned on the light and was just about to make her way into the living room when she heard something outside. She looked out the window but didn’t see anything and turned on the television.

Her phone ring and by the time she found it in her purse she missed the call. She looked at the screen and saw that she had twelve missed calls. She looked to see who was trying to reach her and read, Zack with hearts after his name. She shook her head and put her phone down and pulled out the envelope and finally opened it.

She unfolded the piece of loose leaf and read, ‘I think you are absolutely beautiful and plan on making you mine real soon. Gregory’

Her phone rang just as she heard something outside. She answered it right away,

“Hello.”

“Open the door Melanie.” said Zack as he waited outside on her enormous deck.

“What? Where are you?” asked Melanie clearly confused.

“I’m at your back door. You left without saying good night. I need to see you.” said Zack as he found a spot and got comfortable.

Melanie opened up the back door and saw Zack leaning against the railing with his legs apart and his arms folded across his chest. She paused for a minute and turned off the light so no one heard them.

“What are you doing here Zack?” whispered Melanie as she looked up at him and did her best to remain calm.

“Why did you leave like that? You didn’t even bother to say goodbye to me.”

“You were busy and I didn’t wish to disturb you. From where I was standing it looked like you and that man were in an extremely deep conversation.” said Melanie as she started to feel a little chilly and began to rub her arms up and down.

Zack watched her and pulled her over to him, “Look up Melanie.”

She looked up and noticed a beautiful full moon and smiled at Zack. “It’s a full moon.”

“Yes it is.” said Zack as he lowered himself and wrapped Melanie in his arms.

“Is that why you came here? I’m still confused.”

“Melanie, you left and I didn’t get to kiss you. Now press your lips to mine and kiss me.”

Melanie kissed Zack and as she did he pulled her into him and deepened the kiss. Her heart rate tripled as she felt herself respond to the kiss. When the kiss finally ended Zack kissed Melanie again,

“Jesus, I think I fall into a trance whenever I kiss you and could probably completely lose myself.”

Melanie blushed as she tried to move a little further from Zack, “Your kisses are really something else. Wow.” She looked up at him and watched as he moved closer to her and pulled her back against him.

“I like you close to me.” He said as he moved her silky long dark hair out of her face and placed it behind her ear, “So, tell me what was in that envelope. I’m curious.”

Melanie went to pull away from Zack but he wrapped his arms around her and locked his fingers together, keeping her there.

“Nothing you need to concern yourself with.”

“Answer me Beautiful, don’t make me beat it out of your new friends brother.”

“You would do that?”

“Why not? I supposedly do everything else around here, beating up Greg for disrespecting me is nothing compared to everything else.”

“Maybe you and I aren’t such a good idea Zack. I can’t have you leaving a trail of bodies from every guy that talks to me. Thats not cool.”

“Show me the letter Melanie. I’m only asking this one time. If you don’t show it to me, you can plan on seeing me at breakfast tomorrow morning. Trust me, it won’t be pretty.”

“Come inside, but keep your voice down.” said Melanie as she turned to Zack and bumped right into his solid abs.

He smiled down at Melanie, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Come on. No, wait. What are you going to do once I show you what was inside the envelope?”

Zack pulled Melanie into his arms, “You’re my girlfriend, one day, two days, a year, it doesn’t matter. I’m going to set everyone straight, I’ve had it with being disrespected Mel. It’s enough already.”

“Look at me Zack.” said Melanie as she reached up and touched Zack’s face and gently moved it so he was looking at her, “I’m only here two days, why don’t I just make it easy for you and end this. I can’t stand to see what is happening, it’s horrible.”

“No. That’s not happening. I finally met someone that I like and can’t take my eyes off of or my lips for that matter. No, there’s no way I’m going to watch you kiss someone else. Not happening.”

“Kiss someone else? You think I would break up with you to date someone else?” asked Melanie as she looked directly into Zack’s amber eyes.

“That’s not what I meant, just forget it. Either way, it’s not happening. Now show me what I want to see.”

As they walked into the living room Zack saw the piece of loose leaf and grabbed it and just as he did Lucas came in. “What’s going on? I got your message as soon as I hung up with Lily.”

“I came to say good night to Melanie and I also wanted to see what that idiot left for her.” He said as he crumbled up the piece of paper and put it in his pocket.

“Dude, do me a favor, don’t go over there now. There’s a huge commotion going on at Lily’s house. I think she told her parents what her brother did and her father is going off. I heard it, she never had a chance to hang up with me.” said Lucas as he looked at Zack.

Zack looked at Melanie, “Listen to me, that guy Greg is a lot older, he’s either twenty-one or twenty-two, so just be careful around him.”

“Stop worrying about something that hasn’t even happend yet.” said Lucas, “If he touches my sister, he’ll have my father to deal with so everyone relax.”

Just as Lucas said that their mother came upstairs, “Um, is everything okay up here? Your father wanted me to come check things out.”

“I’m sorry to worry both you and dad, this is Zack, Zack this is my mother Sarah.”

“Hi Zack, is everything okay?” she asked as she looked at the three of them knowing something just wasn’t right.

“I apologize for any inconvenience I’ve caused but I needed to see Melanie right away about a very upsetting matter.” said Zack doing his best to sound polite and convincing.

“What’s going on?” asked Sarah as she made herself comfortable on the couch in the living room.

Melanie sat down next to her mother and watched her pick up the empty envelope with hearts all over it. “Am I right if I’m guessing this is part of the problem?”

“You’re right Miss Sarah.” said Zack as he took out the piece of paper in his pocket and began to unfold it.

“Really Zack, you may call me Sarah, I don’t mind.”

He smiled shyly as he handed her the crumbled mess and waited for her to read it.

“Excuse me kids.” said Sarah as she got up from the couch and called her husband, “Jonathan, can you come upstairs for a minute, please.”

Without another word Jonathan Leighton climbed the stairs and was instantly at his wife’s side. “What’s going on Sarah?” he asked with concern in his voice.

She showed him the crumbled piece of paper and waited for him to look up.

“Okay, tell me what’s going on.” said Jonathan Leighton as he made his way into the living room and sat down.

“Hi Sir, I’m Zack and I apologize for disturbing both you and your wife but I’m really concerned about Melanie right now.”

“Let me guess, you’re the new boyfriend?”

“Yes, I am.” said Zack as he looked at Jonathan Leighton nervously.

“Well thank you for coming here and bringing something important to our attention. Anything that could be a threat to my Princess is a priority.”

“Yes sir, I agree. The person that wrote this is her new friend’s brother. The thing that worries me is that he’s either twenty-one or twenty-two years old.”

Melanie’s father’s jaw began to clench as his leg began to tremble. He crumbled up the paper and tossed it onto the table, “Well I thank you for caring enough to bring this to all of our attention. Zack, right?”

“Yes sir, Zack.” he said nervously.

“You son are welcome in this home. In my entire life I never thought I would have to face something like this. The question is, how do I handle this?” Jonathan Leighton jumped off the couch and began pacing.

Lucas finally stopped his father, “Listen, it’s just a stupid piece of paper, let’s not make a mountain out of a mole hill. If he happens to make a move on Melanie, we’ll deal with it then and only then. Okay?”

“You’re right Lucas, but I can’t stand the thought of anything happening to my little girl, I can’t even think it.”

“Daddy, relax, I can handle myself.” said Melanie.

“Really?” asked her father as he grabbed Melanie and held her tight, “Can you get out of my grip?”

Melanie struggled but it was useless, she finally stopped, “No daddy, it’s impossible.”

“Baby, I didn’t even use a fraction of my strength.” said her father as he let her go.

Melanie’s mother held out her arms for her daughter and enclosed them the second she made it to them.

“Honestly, I hate being me.” said Melanie as a stray tear traveled down her face, “I’m so freaking small, a mouse could probably over power me.”

Zack was shocked to hear that from Melanie, “Don’t say the Melanie, you are the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. Don’t you remember me telling you that good things come in small packages? It’s true.”

Melanie’s father quickly agreed with Zack, “Sweetie, look at your mother, I can over power her in a second too. It’s not only you baby.”

Melanie dried her eyes and stood up, “But I wouldn’t even have a chance daddy, at least mom would be able to hold her own.”

“No sweetie, she wouldn’t.” said her father as he stood up and hugged his daugher. “Lucas is right, let’s not count our chickens before they hatch. So far all we have is that little note he wrote you. You don’t even know if it was really him or one of his friends either.”

“That’s true.” said melanie as she stood there staring out into the darkness.

Jonathan turned to both Lucas and Zack, “I’m relying on the two of you to make sure nothing happens to Melanie.” He turned towards Zack, “Is this older guy known to be a womanizer?”

Zack looked at Melanie’s father with concern, “All I know is that every one of those guys are in their twenties.”

Jonathan stood up and wrapped his arm around Zack, “Thank you son, I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Melanie is beautiful and attracts a lot of attention.”

“Daddy.” said Melanie as she stood there blushing.

“I’m sorry Princess, it’s true. I’d be lying to myself if I didn’t take notice.”

Lucas groaned, “I’m tired, I’m going to bed. Good night everyone.”

Melanie walked over to her brother and hugged him, “Good night Lucas, I love you.”

“I love you too brat.” joked Lucas.

Zack looked at Melanie’s parents, “I need to get going too. I’m truly sorry for bringing over news like this, especially so late at night but I just couldn’t keep myself away.”

Both Jonathan and Sarah thanked Zack and watched as he kissed Melanie on the cheek and said good night.

Melanie walked Zack to the door, “Good night.”

“Good night beautiful, I’ll call you in the morning. I’m driving you to Lily’s house. So I’ll be outside around 9:30.” He winked at her and walked outside and disappeared.

“I like that boy.” said Sarah, “He was worried about you, called your brother and had your brother tell us something was going on. That’s a good person.”

“I agree.” said her father as he hugged his baby girl. “As much as I hate the fact that my baby is growing up, I’m glad you have someone besides your brother to look out for you.”

“Thank you.” said Melanie as she hugged her mother and gave her a kiss. “Good night, I’ll see you in the morning.”

As they walked downstairs Melanie walked in her room and immediately got ready for bed. She snuggled into her blankets and closed her eyes and instantly fell asleep.

She slept soundly and woke up around 8:30 am, showered and began to get ready. She fixed her hair and make-up and walked into her closet and pulled out a pair of skinny jeans and a cute form fitted blue sweater and put on her knee length boots and made her way downstairs.

She looked at the time, and quickly grabbed her purse and keys and made her way outside and stopped instantly as she noticed someone kneeling down near her passenger tire.
© Copyright 2012 DecemberRein (decemberrein at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903161-A-Kiss-In-The-Moonlight---Chapter-Four