*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903838-Through-the-Archway
by Amay
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1903838
Sara Beth runs through the archways. What does that have to do with picture perfect Sarah?
Through the Archway


Sandra sat in a comfortable leather chair, a look of confusion on her perfectly sculpted face. Her plastic surgeon sat behind his desk, his hands tented resting on his desk. His dark hair and beard focused attention on his sparkling icy blue eyes.

“It means you’ve healed perfectly.”

“But,” she shook head; her long blonde highlights shimmered in the sunlight coming in window behind the doctor, “why am I still having the same dreams that I had during the surgery.”

“The dreams have nothing to do with the surgery Ms. Winters. I think you should consider seeing a psychiatrist, or psychologist to delve into what your subconscious is hiding from you. I’ll have Cindy pull some names for you.” He stood. I’ve got other things to do; someone else can hold this loony bird’s hand. I did what she wanted I made her beautiful. “Cindy will meet you at the checkout, here’s your paperwork for today’s visit.”

He pressed a button on his phone.

Sandra stood taking the papers, looked at Dr. Smythe pleadingly, but took the hint when he shooed her to the door.

“Cindy, I need you to meet Ms. Winters at the front desk with a psychiatrist name and number that’s on her insurance’s list, please. She’s on the way out now.” Thank goodness, he sighed. He sat down and opened her screen on the computer. He reviewed her notes, how did I miss such blatant symptoms of paranoia? He continued to type in his observations, this was one file he wanted all the details to be noted and correct.

Dr. Smythe pressed the button again, “Cindy, who did we refer Ms. Winters to?”

“Doctor Mallory, sir.”

“We have her permission to send her file there?”

“Yes, it’s in the paperwork she signed today.”

“Send him the file then. Mack needs the heads up on this one.”

“Yes sir.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mack sat back in his office chair poring over Ms. Winters’s file. He’d read, take copious notes, sit back reflect, edit and then read another section of her file. A knock at his door, pulled him out of his rhythm. “Yes,” he looked up over his glasses.

“Mack, you’re working on the Winters’s file, right?”

“If you already know the answer, why do you ask?” His pen twirled in his hand, old fashioned as it was, he preferred writing his case notes to typing. It helped him focus his attention and energies.

“Because, I love interrupting you and seeing you glare me down over those glasses.” She held a large manila envelope. She tapped it on her hand as she walked across to Mack’s desk. “I’m assuming that this is her patient questionnaire. She leaned over his desk, “Now, what are you willing to pay to see if I’m right?” Grinning sheepishly, she placed her elbows on his desk, in one hand she held the folder, in the other she propped her chin, her back was straight as a board and she swayed from side to side. “Well darling, what’s it going to be,” she wiggled her eye brows, knowing full well that she wanted to go upstairs, home for the evening, and he’d want to stay right here in his office, “the envelope or me in all my radiant glory?”

He smiled broadly leaning back in his office chair, “I’m in trouble, aren’t I.”

Her eyes widened as she nodded. “If you give the wrong answer, you certainly are,”

“I should choose my words wisely then.” He stood up, leaning over the desk and kissed his temptress lightly.

She softly laughed caressing his cheek, tossed the envelope on the desk, and turned to leave the room. “That’s what I thought. You have one hour and you better have your butt upstairs, mister.”

He picked up and started to open the envelope while watching her saunter out of the room. Man, could she sashay, radiant beauty indeed. He looked at the envelope then looked up at his wife standing in the doorway. She blew him a kiss. The envelope fell to his desk; yeah this can wait, as he rushed to catch up.

++++++++++++++++++++

Sitting in the center of the courtyard, the young girl was in full view of her nanny who was sitting by the archway knitting quietly. It was so warm, her crinolines, slips and shift were stifling. All she wanted to do was to go down to the pond and skinny dip with the boys.

Boys were so lucky. They didn’t have to wear crinolines, or slips, or under dresses, or over shifts, or aprons. It was yucky to be a girl, having someone watch you all the time. The blonde haired child plopped back on the grass, and watched the clouds pass overhead. Samson, her Weimaraner, provided her with a lumpy pillow.

Suddenly there was a resounding boom. The girl bolted up, the nanny dropped her knitting and scurried over to the child. “Run, Sara Beth, run to the hiding place.”

Gunfire exploded from her father’s office. She stopped and stared. The nanny turned Sara Beth to face her, “Listen to me child, and listen good. There’s nothing you can do about that now, you have to run and get in the hiding place.” She looked lovingly in the little girls eyes. “No matter what you hear child, don’t look back. You get to the hiding place and be quiet as a church mouse, you hear? I’ll come for you as soon as I can. Now run, Sara Beth, run!”

“Samson, stay. I have a feeling I’ll need you here to cause a little diversion, my friend,” ash she patted his head. He obediently followed the nanny back to her chair, sat alert and waited her command.

Sara Beth ran through the archway, checking and see if the rooms in the house were empty before moving to the next set of windows, just like Father had taught her. She was half way there. She heard her nanny shriek, “Attack, Samson.” She heard more gunfire and a helpless yelp from her furry best friend.

Sara Beth wanted to go to her nanny to see if she could help, but she had to get to the hiding place. She would be safe there; nanny would come and find her and everything would be alright.

Sara Beth ran as hard and fast as her little legs would carry her. She made it to the portico, two more turns and she’d be safe. She scurried under the console table in the grand entry way, pressed the secret panel and disappeared without a trace.

Sara Beth sat huddled in the secret hiding place waiting for nanny to come and get her, but nanny never came.

+++++++++++++++++

Sandra bolted up in her bed. She rocked clutching her knees to her pounding chest. A tear flowed down her cheek; her name was Sara Beth, what does she have to do with me?

Sandra grabbed her robe and headed to the kitchen. She brewed a cup of coffee knowing she wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep. Taking her cup she sat down at her desk. She’d been contracted to design a massive addition for the museum the day before her surgery. Sandra decided not to put the surgery on hold but manage the project from home while she recuperated.

She looked over the preliminary archeological reports on the property the museum had purchased. The reports confirmed there’d been a grand palazzo on site with a courtyard in the center. It apparently burned to the ground at some point. The archeologist had been scouring the site for antiquities for the local museum.

She turned her chair to watch the sun rise over the tree tops. I certainly hope Dr. Mallory can help me get to the bottom of these dreams.

+++++++++++++

Sandra was punctual as always, she knocked on Dr. Mallory’s door two minutes before her session was to begin.

Kristen opened the door. “Good morning, you must be Ms. Winters. I’m Kristen, Dr. Mallory’s humble assistant, and wife.” She extended her hand to shake Sandra’s as she welcomed her into the office part of their home. Kristen shivered slightly, blinked her eyes and stared at Sandra.

Sandra felt the connection immediately, she didn’t understand what it meant, but she felt it anyway.


“Come this way dear.”

“Mack, this is Sandra Winters but honestly honey, she doesn’t need you. She needs me.”

“Really?” He paused, “ Interesting.” He cocked his head slightly, took a deep cleansing breath, “yes my dear, I do believe your right. I feel it too.”

“Feel what?” Sandra asked incredulously.

“Come here and sit down for a minute.”

Sandra complied with a bewildered look on her face.


“I’ll leave you two ladies alone.” With that, Mack took his leave.

“Aren’t I paying him to stay?”

“If you want to pay him, he can stay, but it really isn’t necessary.”

“I’m confused.”

“Let me try to explain, you’ve been having a recurring dream recently. Right? There’s a little girl, and a big house.”

Cautiously, Sandra affirmed the details that Kristen revealed.

“I hear car back firing, something exploding. We need to go, they’re close.”

“What?”

“Mack, we need to go, now! Can you drive us?” Kristen yelled.

“On my way dear.”

Mack pulled their car to the front of the house, and opened the back door for the two ladies. “Sandra, just hold Kristen’s hand, you don’t have to say anything. Everything is going to be alright. My wife is very talented.”
Kristen rolled her eyes. “Just get in and go down to Maple.”

Mack looked in the rear view mirror, “Now what?”

“Left.”

“All right, here we go,” he said as if he’d done this kind of things dozens of times before.

Fifteen minutes later Kristen asked Mack to park the car. She looked around the area to the right of the car. “We’re really close.”

“We’re at the…,” Sandra looked at Mack.

Mack shook his head from side to side put his fingers to his lips in the classic shush sign.

Sandra stopped short. She knew exactly where she was, but didn’t know what it had to do with her, other than work.

Kristen walked to fence blocking her way to the site. She looked at Mack.

“Sandra, is there any way we can get inside?”

“Sure, the gate should be open, the archeologist have four more days before they have to clear out, before they start digging to pour the footings for the addition.”

Mack found the gate, pushed it open and followed Kristen into the lot. “Sandra, you say your dreams started when?”

“They started during my surgery, why?”

“Was that the day they started digging here?” Mack inquired.

“I think so,” she paused, “yes, I know so. I was upset I wasn’t going to be here for the first walk through.”

“I think your archeologists might have uncovered something. Let’s follow Kristen and let her do her thing.” He took her hand gently, and looked into her eyes, “Everything is going to be alright.”

The threesome walked across the lot, dodging people digging, sifting and brushing. Kristen stopped in the middle of the lot. She stood and silently panned around the whole area.

“There was a huge home here, with a grand court yard.”
She closed her eyes, breathing in deeply. “They burst in over there.” She pointed toward where Sandra was standing, moving her hand, she pointed to where a once grand office had stood. “They shot the owner up there.” She continued turning, “The little girl was here in the center of the court yard.”

“Dog slobber yuck. She had a dog, a big dog. He’s waiting for her.” She bent down and touched the ground. “Poor boy, you gave your life to protect her didn’t you? So why don’t you show me where she’s hiding. You know she wants to play with you.”

“Mack,” Sandra whispered, “what is she doing?”

“She’s talking to the dog, obviously.”

“Oh,” Sandra’s eyes widened, “Sure she is.” She nodded as if she really agreed.

Mack turned his attention back to Kristen, and whispered to Sandra, “You have to be quiet, you’ll disturb her and you’ll never know what the dreams are about.”

“Wh…,” she stopped in midword.

Kristen stood up, brushed her knees off and started walking purposefully.

“She really sees the dog?”

“She sees his spirit. Come on, let’s go.”

Mack and Sandra followed Kristen’s path. “There were archways here around the courtyard she pointed to her left and massive window here on the right. She walked at a faster pace, “There was a doorway here, beautiful paintings, and a huge console table here, with a massive flower arrangement on top.”

“Samson is scratching at a wall, right here. Have your men look in this area.”

Mack yelled, “Hey somebody come over here and look.”

Kristen started to shiver.

Mack wrapped his coat around her shoulder. “Getting chilly isn’t it.”

“They’re really close, Samson is having a fit. Bless his heart he’s been waiting for so long.”

He pulled her close to him while they watched the scientists carefully start their search of the area.

Sandra stood in awe as the archeologist unearthed a small skeleton. She felt like a weight had been lifted off of her shoulders.

“There she is boy, you found your master.”

She looked at Kristen, “Is this what all the dreams have been about?”

“Probably, she felt safe here. Apparently, her father prepared it for her, thinking someone would come and let her out if anything happened. She sure does love that dog.” Kristen started to sag against Mack.

“I think it’s time I took my wife home to rest. I’ll drive you back to your car.”

+++++++++++++++

“It was nice to meet you Sandra,” Kristen said as she walked up the front steps of their home.

Mack looked at Sandra, “Why don’t you come by to see us on Friday, at the same time?”

“Is she going to be alright?”

“She’ll be fine once she rests for a bit. It takes a lot out of her.” He watched her walk up the steps. “I’ll see you Friday, then,” and he followed Kristen into the house.

++++++++++++++

She walked through the archway, large windows displaying beautifully ornate rooms on the left and a lush garden courtyard on the right. A fully grown weinmaraner pranced beside her. Sara Beth’s hand gently rubbed his soft brown fur. She threw his ball into the court yard, and he joyously ran to fetch it. She ran after him, her crinolines rustling in the warm spring breeze. She turned and waved slowly fading from view.

Sandra woke, completely at peace, she’d seen through the archway.


wc 2456







© Copyright 2012 Amay (amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903838-Through-the-Archway