*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1904597-The-Home-Run
Rated: GC · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1904597
When the Student is Ready, a Teacher Appears
The Home Run - 2988

         The dust, fanfare and excitement had finally receded from her new mayoral offices, and Carolyn luxuriated in a few moments of silence and peace. Alone at last, she thought. Was it worth all the hand-licking, back-biting, sniping and compromise that took place during the campaign?

         Only time would tell, she figured. She’d won the race, and was determined to do something that her predecessors were unable to do; commit to campaign promises. While it didn’t seem like a great deal, based upon the town’s expectations due to years of corruption, she was determined to make the next four years a time of accomplishment and prosperity for a change.

         There was one problem with that plan however, a most vexing and dangerous problem. Carlton Trumbull, the incumbent whom she’d finally beaten that week. He’d virtually owned their town for the past twelve years, and had cleverly slipped in a battalion of cronies and cohorts to keep his small empire of corruption running.

         Finding all of these ‘poison pills’ and eliminating them would most certainly take up too much of her time and energies, and her new and inherited staff members would be hard pressed to keep up with that goal and run the day to day operations of her office simultaneously.

         Reflecting on the difficulties that she’d faced during this whole experience, she still wondered who her ‘secret weapon’ was. It was a note that arrived at her restaurant a year ago that gave her the courage to challenge the then current administration. One of her servers had discovered it on one of the tables and brought it to her. At the time she was fighting city hall over a new ordinance passed in confidence, they said, compelling her particular establishment to comply with almost impossible new standards of safety and health.

         Over the course of the past year, the notes crept into her life with curious regularity, caution in some, revelations in others. Taken as a whole, they represented a strategy; a campaign strategy that would eventually result in her sitting in the very chair that threatened most of the small businesses in town. She could… no; she would change all that this time around.

         But still—it would be wonderful for her to find out who her mysterious benefactor was. The incredibly accurate advice on how to enter and conduct a successful campaign was almost ‘Lincolnesque’, and more to the point, appealed directly to her sense of fairness and justice.

         Now, however, the true task of making things happen was upon her, and she had little idea of how. That’s right; she had no idea how to make these changes take place, and felt that she needed those mysterious notes now more than ever. Quite frankly, she never really thought that this mayoral election would be hers; her participation was more of a symbolic protest against the ‘status quo.’

         Thinking back over the past year, as she’d done many times before, she tried to imagine who it was she might have met, either in her restaurant or elsewhere, who would have been inspired enough to spur her on into running for public office in the first place, and how to actually get there in the next. Nothing popped into her head, and even her closest acquaintances were unable to help her in recalling any possible donors.

         Damn, she thought. She was nearly thirty years old, and aside from a few unsatisfying dates from time to time, she was still unattached, and single. Seriously single. Her biological clock was no longer ticking; it was absolutely banging on her consciousness.

         Carolyn was not a virgin, but her initial introduction to sex was somewhat unremarkable, clumsy at best. There were no bells ringing, no sparks or fireworks. It was awkward and memorable for that reason alone. She’d had an occasional tryst from time to time after that, but nothing measured up to what her girlfriends described as, The Home Run.

         As a matter of fact, it was that extreme conservatism that saved her in the final moments of the election. Old Carlton had panicked when the polls swung wildly in her favor in the closing moments of the election, and he and his aides began to dig frantically for dirt to smear on her reputation. As the election came to a close, they were unable to uncover anything that could have exposed her as a ‘loose woman’ as they’d hoped. In fact they’d damaged their own image by slinging lies and twisted tales of her virtue against the ‘wall’ of public opinion, hoping something would stick.

         She sighed, almost hoping that some of the wild tales they’d told were even remotely true. Not that she wanted to be branded a ‘loose woman’, but evidence that she’d actually had an adventurous life, full of romance and excitement and stuff. But here she was, now responsible for an entire city, for an entire four years if she behaved herself.

         Behaved herself? Like she had a choice, ever! Putting her head in her hands, she was getting over the ‘won the election’ highs, and now began to suffer the ‘what the hell do I do now’ blues.

         It was late, and Carolyn realized that she’d actually fallen asleep, simply because the office was dark and cool. Glancing around, she saw a few remnants of an earlier celebration, but nothing major that needed to be straightened up. Looking at the door, she noticed an envelope on the floor, as if it had been slipped under it during the night.

         Getting off the couch, she picked it up and opened it. Inside she saw a message that sent her heart beating a bit faster. Whoever her secret weapon was, was still working on her behalf. “Congratulations, little lady! Now, your work really begins, but don’t worry; I’ll be with you all the way.”

         As odd as this was, she read the note again, over and over. Somehow, she felt relieved, whoever it might be. That person had been here tonight, she knew. She needed to pay attention from this point on to see who that might be. They were responsible for her position right now, and she needed to ensure that their presence was solidly installed as a member of her staff.

         As the weeks of her new administration went on, she was acutely aware of the hostility and animosity of the old guard implants and of the obstructions put in place to her planning exercises. Every now and then, a note would appear, seldom at the same place, giving her suggestions about how to handle them. Nearly all of the time, the advice was ‘spot on’ and she was able to navigate through the deadlocks successfully.

         But, she dearly wanted to come face to face with her guide, for a couple of important reasons. First of all, she wanted to reward whoever it was for the help that she’d already gotten. Secondly, she wanted to openly share the benefits of her term with her benefactor, and openly acknowledge their importance to the changes taking place.

         Carolyn discovered that the back-stabbing and sniping hadn’t stopped with the election, but continued on in a slightly different venue. Gradually, with the help of the notes, she managed to pluck out the dissident elements of her bureaucracy, one by one, and the hopes and dreams that she’d had when she started her administration began to happen. Her popularity soared. Still, she was lonely; extremely lonely.

         She still owned her family restaurant, and visited it frequently. After all, the mayor of a small city didn’t take up one’s time entirely. And truth be known the restaurant, with its staff and patrons, provided her with a firm anchor to reality and another point of view from which to gauge the success of the city’s new direction.

         Casey, her chief chef of two years, made an unusual visit into the seating area of her restaurant one day, and made an equally unusual request. He had shipmates from his U.S. Navy days visiting him in a week or two, and he wanted to set up a special dinner for them there, hopefully with a little discount from the restaurant.

         Carolyn recalled that Casey had come to her a couple of years previously with his discharge in his hand and a sterling reference from the military regarding his expertise in the culinary arts. He’d been an absolutely vital part of her business since then, taking complete control of the entire enterprise, and generating a loyalty amongst patrons that was legendary. It was said that his equally legendary monastic lifestyle was the result of an unfaithful, now ex-wife while he was in combat overseas.

         Too bad, she thought. He was gorgeous, but he worked for her, and business and pleasure was a ‘no-no’ concept passed down from her parents, who’d owned the place previously. It didn’t take but a moment for her to approve an employee’s discount for the entire group, feeling that the small financial sacrifice was well worth their service.

         As he turned to reenter the kitchen, Casey said, “Thank you, little lady… You’re a class act”.

         Carolyn stopped dead in her tracks. ‘Little lady…?’ That was the salutation on the note that she’d received on the evening of her win. She still had that note, and all the others. Things began to come together in her mind now, and it was time to formulate a serious plan of discovery.

         Secretly she began to investigate the past of her chief chef, and discovered that he’d been attached as a cook to a team assigned to…covert operations. While he’d been decorated profusely for his accomplishments in those operations, little was actually said about his cooking prowess; not that it mattered a great deal at this point.

         After a particularly fierce battle over some city budget matters, which had been resolved primarily because of a ‘social revelation’ provided her by yet another note; she made up her mind to come to a showdown with her mystery benefactor. She was now quite sure who it was, and was resolved to bring everything to a head.

         One evening, watching the cashier tip all of the employees out before auditing the sales for the day, she stayed behind, observing the close of the restaurant. The chief chef was responsible for final rounds, making sure that everything that should be turned off actually was, and the exits were locked.

         Approaching the bar for final lights out, Casey was surprised to see Carolyn sitting at the end, nursing a small wine glass of Merlot.

         “What have you done to me, Casey?” she asked. “Do you think that it’s fair, staying in the background like this, letting me take all the heat?”

         Dropping his gaze to the floor, he sheepishly asked her what she was talking about. It was apparent to Carolyn however, that he knew exactly what she was referring to.

         “Why, Casey?” she insisted.

         Moments passed before he finally responded. “Miss Carolyn, before you read too much into what I’m about to say, understand that you took a big chance on me a couple of years ago, taking me on as chef with no civilian experience. That meant a lot to me. Add to that, you were one of the fairest employers that any of your staff had ever worked for, and your reputation for that was spread pretty widely.”

         He paused for her reaction.

         Seeing none, he continued. “I knew what was happening in this town immediately after I’d settled here, and once I began working for you, I also saw what Carlton was trying to do to you, and your business. It was apparent to me that your intimate connection with this town was the only way to bring him, and his cronies to bay. I just had to convince you to take up the challenge.”

         Still, she remained silent.

         Sighing, Casey went on. “Miss Carolyn, you have more balls than most of the sailors that I’ve served with, and I figured that you could take this asshol—excuse me—crook on and stood a chance of actually beating his butt into the ground. I just had to convince you to take that first step. Begging your pardon, ma’am.”

         More moments passed. “Casey, just where is your heart right now?” she asked.

         “The restaurant, of course.” he replied.

         “Your heart, Casey; not your pocketbook.” She retorted.

         “Don’t you have someone you love, Casey?” she continued. This was a big chance, as he could say anything in response.

         “Yes, ma’am, I do.” He replied.

         “Is she with you now?” she asked.

         His silence was deafening.

         Finally, he whispered, “Yes.”

         Impulsively, she then asked him, “If she were here right now, what would you do?”

         Time dragged on, tick by tick, and Carolyn was suddenly afraid that her little inquiry was about to turn on her. Finally things began to slip into motion.

         He said, “If I had the courage, I’d let her know that I worshipped her, and kiss her.” Having said that, he took a step closer, looking deeply into her eyes.

         Goose-bumps crept up her arms, a knot formed in her stomach, and moisture collected in her groin. This whole situation became surreal. Was she misreading him and his comments?

         Well, HE might not have the courage, but after what she’d just gone through, she did. If she was right, she’d be off on the next great adventure of her life; and if she was wrong…well, she’d at least have the memory of trying.

         “We need a pact, an agreement sealed with something we value most,” she said.

         He nodded.

         Taking a deep breath, Carolyn closed the space between them, and softly pressed her lips against his. His response was immediate and passionate; taking her a bit by surprise. Her mind told her to pull back, but her body refused to obey. Instead, she opened her mouth and allowed him to taste her freely, pressing her tongue deeply into his mouth as well.

         Their embrace was borne of frustration and desperation, each clutching the other as though they were afraid this encounter might fade and disappear. Thankful that the doors were locked and that they were alone, Carolyn decided that she was going to seal their relationship this night, once and for all. As she made this decision, she mentally apologized to her parents, thinking ‘Sorry folks, this one is mine, all mine, and I’m keeping him.’

         To remove any doubt about where their relationship might go from then on, Carolyn decided to become the aggressor, hoping that Casey wouldn’t think badly of her. Throwing caution to the wind, she rubbed herself against his body, clinging to him tightly. She was immediately rewarded, noting his erection pressing snugly against her pubis, revealing his attraction to her as well.

         His shift from desperation to soft, loving caresses, she felt his lips traversing her face in tiny nibbles, causing her sexual energy to run full speed, and her urgency for closure with this man became paramount. She saw a new, better use for the plush couch in the customer waiting area.

         Taking control of their tryst, she pulled the clothing from his body and hers, taking bold liberties with him, making her claim undeniable, and hastening their consummation. Tears poured down her cheeks, and she was momentarily surprised to find that there were tears on his as well.

         He made her feel like a goddess, she thought. His hands and lips played her body like a fine instrument and she felt her erogenous areas bristling with sexual energy. She discovered an entirely new level of confidence in pleasure with this man, and vowed to herself to make this part of her future.

         Her entire body was trembling from the ministrations performed by Casey, and as his focus changed from her breasts to her sex itself, she felt she couldn’t take much more. Suddenly, as his lips pressed onto her clitoris, her mind exploded into the most intense climax she’d ever had, and her body shook from the effects.

         Nearly exhausted, she lay in his arms for a bit before noticing that his erection was still pressed against her body. All this, she thought, and he’d had no relief for himself.

         “Casey?” she whispered.

         “Yes, princess.” He responded.

         “I think I love you…” she finished.

         Moments passed as she waited for his reply, heart racing in her chest.

         Finally, he whispered; “I’ve loved you, Carolyn, from the first moment I met you…” and kissed the tears from her cheek.

         Gripping him tightly, she rolled him onto her body, hissing into his shoulder, “I want you; No! I need you IN me, now!” As she felt him enter her body, she finally felt complete, a feeling enhanced by their synchronous hip movements, each providing the maximum amount of sensual pleasure to their partner.

         Finally, she felt she could hold off no longer, and allowed her climax to continue. As her body began to take over, she suddenly felt Casey begin to pull out of her, and knew why.

         No! He’d taught her the strength of commitment, and she’d committed too much to this engagement to allow him to hold back now. Wrapping her legs around his waist, she secured him to her until the throes of their climax abated. He now belonged to her, she thought; completely.

         Breathing deeply, she mused; ‘This had to be what her girlfriends referred to as The Home Run!

         As it turned out, she was right. He was hers, completely, and they turned out to be the most formidable team this town had ever encountered. Their wedding five months later spelled the eventual doom of corruption and blatant nepotism in the local government.

         The appearance of the third little player nine months afterward…well…again, only time would tell!

         And yes, if you’re curious; they do love, uhm…I mean live, happily ever after…

H – *Anchor*
© Copyright 2012 Hatsuda (jewellr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1904597-The-Home-Run