*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905414-NaNoWriMo-2012
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Entertainment · #1905414
The mystery of Barret has just begun!
Nov 25
Barret and the lady drove down the street in silence for a couple of minutes. Barret looked around to make sure that Zach had not stopped down the street and could have seen him in a car that didn’t look like the car he showed Zach. Radio music was a soft classical style of a string quartet. The young lady was about to change channels when Barret reached ahead of her to turn it off.
“Hey, that piece was ending. I wanted to get some news on the wreck that I saw on television.” The black short haired lady barked.
“Why is a simple freeway accident so important, Nalda?” asked Barret.
“We are expecting a pick up from our agent that might have been in that truck.” She turned and glanced at Barret to look at the expression on his face.
“So? We aren’t involved in anything yet. That part is the responsibility by him.” Barret let out a breath of disappointment.
“Well, our job depends on timing. One hour too late and we might miss a golden opportunity.” Nalda turned from the main road and drove into an area with a couple of subdivisions.
“If you are going to worry too much, you should not have accepted the job.” Barret’s hand made a fist which hit the door of his side. He turned his face away from her and mumbled a few words in another language.
“Look nitwit, I am in charge, in case you do not remember.” She stopped at a stop sign and turned to face him. “My job means my way. Done correctly.” She waited for him to respond. “Is that clear?”
Barret turned around. His face changed from slight contempt to acceptance. “Yes, crystal clear.” He looked straight ahead. “Boss.”
Nalda drove around in the subdivision to a house that she had been in for the last week, cleaning and getting her things organized. Her most important possession was the small computer disk that had the key to plot that was being initiated.
After she had stopped the car and waited to get out. She looked in the mirror and then over her shoulder to see it there was any car that appeared to be following her. She waited to open her door as an old man who was walking his equally old dog, pass by. He stopped to pick up the poop from his dog’s stop.
Across the street were several young children who ran out of the house with a basketball in their hands. They looked like they were going to use a goal that had been installed over their garage.
“Darn. I hope that they don’t play there now.” She half whispered. “Well I told you that you cannot be a young lady any more. You need to continue your roll as my dear old granny. If you want your job to get done,” he started to smile, “you need to be old, fat and ugly dear.”
He opened the door and got out. Before he closed the door he leaned in and said, “But I can be myself. And I might even have a date at a dance soon. In the meantime, you must stay at home.” He closed the door and laughed. He walked to the gate that he used to get into the back of the house.
Nalda gritted her teeth. She noticed that the kids with the basketball had gone down the street. They usually played at a nearby park if they didn’t play at home. She used the remote control to open the garage door and drove into the almost empty garage. Inside the garage were several boxes and a trunk. She got out of the car and locked its door. Quietly she went through the gate.
“A date, huh.” Nalda entered the back yard. “We’ll see.” She walked to the back doorway and looked at the unkempt yard. She thought that the person who had fixed up this residence had promised that the front and back yard would be mowed, edged and fertilized. When she needed to get a release from stress, she would look outside. Somehow, she always found an answer to her problems.
She entered the house and put her keys on the counter. On the counter, near the clock and coffee maker, was an almost empty box of fried chicken. There was pile of napkins and an opened box of soft drinks.
In the next room, a living room, Barret was sitting on the couch, eating a thigh of chicken. He wiped his mouth with a napkin. “Yea, the news just showed the accident. I guess you might have something to worry about.”
Nalda put her finger to her mouth. “Sh. I want to hear the reporter.”
However, the news piece ended with the reporter signing off from his site and sending the news back to the studio.
Nalda turned and went back into the kitchen to get the last piece of chicken. She saw one drumstick and a small styrofoam cup of mashed potatoes. Both seemed a little cold to her. She quickly ate the chicken and only one spoonful of the mashed potatoes. She returned into the living room.
“Hey by the way, why was it so important for me to come home?” Barret asked after he took a sip of his drink. He put the can down on the end table.
Nelda looked at Barret spoke carefully, “You dropped something very important in the back yard.” She held up his cigarette lighter.” She tossed it to him. He caught it and put it in his pocket.
“I don’t think that anyone would have figured it out what it was for.” He said with a slight blush.
“No?” She picked up some trash in the room and headed for the kitchen. “Remember our dear friend, HK?” She waited as he finished the last sip of his drink. He remembered and started to choke on his drink.
“You wouldn’t be going to many dances with girls if you lighter got into the wrong hands.” she said and glided out of the room. Now it was his turn to listen to her sarcastic laughter.
© Copyright 2012 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905414-NaNoWriMo-2012