*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905699-Keeping-college-affordable
by Renge
Rated: E · Essay · Career · #1905699
Essay about why the state of Maryland should keep colleges affordable. 500 word limit
Since elementary school we all have been taught that a college education would open the doors to a successful future. In the midst of a recession many have questioned the promises of higher education. It is understandable that some may have pessimistic views, when access to education and job opportunity seems to be limited by economics rather than by intelligence or ability. There are many students who drop out of college because they cannot afford to pay tuition. There are also those who take out more loans than they can afford to pay back. Even if you have never experienced this yourself, the specter of not being able to afford college is always there.The question of keeping college affordable versus raising tuition to meet budget demands has an obvious answer when we look at the consequences of these actions.

If Maryland universities raise tuition they will contribute to a reduction in campus diversity and career opportunities. Our school in particular is a university that prides itself on the diversity and quality of UMD students and academics. Having people from many different backgrounds improves not only campus experience but also the academic environment. If we are to continue to be such a campus, we cannot close our doors to lower income students. It is the same for all universities; Keeping colleges affordable means allowing many different students to pursue their interests and hone their talents. Equal opportunity to education means opportunity to jobs and career development. This will result in an increase in the number of passionate qualified professionals.It is estimated that between the years 2010 and 2020 the United States will lack the employees needed to fill 24 million jobs essential to the economy. In order words,the United States will need trained professionals in order for the economy to improve. Such a return can only come from investing in the future by providing financial aid and not putting additional financial burdens on students.

All students, no matter what their socioeconomic background, deserve a liveable wage and for many that means getting a college education. Being able to finish college not only means access to more jobs but also more earning potential. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, in 2010 men with a bachelor's degree made about 17,000 more than high school graduates and women college graduates made about 15,000 more. The economic recession continues to negatively affect many in the state of Maryland and nationationwide. Because it has been shown that employees with a college education typically make more money, the opportunity for going to college should be open to those from all economic backgrounds.

In order to continue on the road of recovery we must invest in the future workforce by allowing Maryland’s youth equal opportunities. This is only possible with the right education made affordable through reasonable tuition. We must ask ourselves if raising tuition today is worth the sacrifice of a better tomorrow.
© Copyright 2012 Renge (abon90 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905699-Keeping-college-affordable