*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906904-NaNoWriMo-2012
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Entertainment · #1906904
Is Arlette really going to face the music?
Zach liked driving a certain route to go home. He looked forward to passing by a certain house where his friend, soon to be girlfriend, Alina, lived. His friendship began with Alina when he went over to her house to mow the yard, when her father went overseas for his job for one summer time. The Klimas family had three girls who were not allowed to touch the lawn mower because it might be too dangerous. So one day, when Zach’s mother and Mrs. Klimas were talking, his mother suggested that Farris could use the money and mow their yard. Mrs. Klimas was so happy that she included a lunch with the pay and that allowed Farris to get to know all of the girls.
Alina was the eldest of the four beautiful and polite young ladies in the Klimas household. One would think that each child was the same child but at a different age. The girls all had sandy blond hair. They were so slender that each could be a model. But as much as they were physically alike, they were temperamentally different.
Alina was the energetic, athletic type. She had won the MVP for volleyball for the last two years at high school. During her senior year, she took up swimming and left everyone behind. She not only broke some state records, but put her in high consideration for national competition.
Madison was one year younger than Alina. She was the financial expert of the family. She could tell you computations in her head that most people would need a calculator for. Added to this she was treasurer of the student council and and her business clubs. Most of the adult supervisors in school knew that everything was in good hands with her. At home, she worked with her mother in planning budgets for shopping and a few vacations.
The third child, Kimberly, was the quietest of the three girls. She seemed to enjoy just watching everything until she was four and then she surprised everyone with artistic skills that left her parents speechless. She began with Crayola drawings at her day care center. Then she asked for water colors. Soon her parents saw her looking at books about art and drawing in the library. Now that she was grown, up into a teenager, she did everything from designing the family’s Christmas cards to advising her friends how to put wardrobes together to look as nice as the pictures in the magazines. There was no area in the arts that she wouldn’t put her talents to.
Zach drove down the street where the Klimas lived. Outside their house was a nicely maintained yard that had exquisite flower beds. Mrs. Klimas showed that she could pick out flowers that beautiful. She not only planted the flowers, but kept them well watered and fertilized.
Zach slowed down to see if anyone was home. He did not see any cars in the driveway. The newspaper was not in the yard which meant that someone was at home earlier. On a side of the house was their mailbox which was empty. Since the mail came before noon, that could also mean that it had already been taken in. He continued down the street and turned to go to the next cross street where he could go home. He would say “Hello” to Alina later.
When Zach pulled in to his home’s driveway, he saw that his father had come home. His father had parked in the space which was closer to the door. That usually meant that he had a few things to carry in.
Zach parked his car and went to the front door to see if the mail had been picked up by anyone who was at home. Stuck on the door were a card for curb address painting and a menu for a new restaurant in the neighborhood. It was for a Chinese restaurant that had three coupons for lunch, dinner and take-out. He knew that he would occasionally get a meal and a fortune cookie. He always laughed at the fact the he got the same fortune twice.
He walked into the house and noticed that it was a little quieter than usual. The television was off and there was no music coming from Arlette’s room. He did hear voices coming from the kitchen area. He walked into the kitchen and saw his parents standing near the sink. His mother had a familiar looking letter in her hand. His father appeared to be listening and shaking his head. They both looked up when he came through the doorway.
“Hey guys. What’s up?” he asked as he walked towards the refrigerator.
“If you have forgotten, it was progress report time for high school.” his mother replied.
“And it looks like Arlette has slipped into world of academic difficulties.”
“Really?” Zach’s hand stopped before he opened the refrigerator.
“Yes, she has failed history.” his mother commented.
“That’s funny. She studies a lot and has been doing her homework.” Zach opened the refrigerator and got out a soft drink.
“Hey I’m going to get out some left overs to warm up for lunch. Can you wait about 20 minutes?”
“Okay. But my empty stomach can only wait that long.” He said with a chuckle. “Do you want me to tell Arlette about lunch?”
“No I’ll do it.” His father said. He walked out the kitchen door and headed for the meeting he dreaded.
“Hey mom, isn’t next week the big dance that Arlette planning to go to?”
“Well yes.” She put the paper in her apron’s pocket as she went to the cupboard to get out some dishes. She put them on the counter and then reached in the drawer for some silverware. “I thought that the teacher would have told me before the forms went out.” She stood still and let out a long sigh.
“I bet that there is a good reason for this. Arlette wants to go to the dance and would not want to put that in jeopardy.” He opened the refrigerator door again. “What do you want me to get out for lunch?”
Doreen walked over to the refrigerator to look over the containers that had mashed potatoes, roast beef, and carrots. She put the containers into Zach’s hands and then reached in for some string beans.
They were putting the containers next to the microwave to get ready to warm them up when they heard a loud scream. “You can’t be serious!” was from a panic-stricken Arlette.
© Copyright 2012 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906904-NaNoWriMo-2012