*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906917-The-Regulator-Original-Script
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Action/Adventure · #1906917
A short script for a Zombie Apocalypse story, original version of my book "The Regulator"
The Scene opens as ANDREW sits on the steps of THE SHACK, a building at the camp used for a variety of activities. He sits twiddling a gun in his hand, shaking it around as he thinks. As he sits, a friend, NICK, walks up behind him.

Nick (Coldly)
What's it going to be?

Andrew
(Distant)
I don't know. I really just... don't know.

Nick
Why not?

Andrew
It’s not exactly a situation where I have a lot of options... but its not like either of the two option are easy to take up.

Nick
We have to kill him, there is no other option.

Andrew
(Angrily)
How do we do that though? How do we take the life of.. of a kid who, just a couple of days ago would have been fine? He's thirteen for fucks sake! But your just willing too kill him, not give it a second thought!

Nick
(Annoyed)
He's been bit Andrew. You, me, we all know what happens when you get bit.

Andrew
(Standing and walking up to Nick, looking him right in his face)
So I just shoot him right? Without even a second thought? He's not dead yet, he's not one of them! He's just a sick person, maybe we can help him.

Nick
(Looking down, away from Andrew gaze)
We didn't help the others when they...

Andrew
(Interrupting Nick)
That's because the others died! From the beatings, or blood loss, or maybe just losing the will to live. They died, we couldn't help them. Other than that bite, Zach is fine, and alive, he needs help.

Nick
(More Sympathetically)
Andrew, you've seen him. He’s not “fine” by any definition of the word. No matter what we do, he just gets worse. The fevers burning him up, he screams if we touch him, and can barely speak.

ANDREW turns away, walking a couple steps to look out over the camps field

Nick
(Continued)
I'm not saying kill him because he's a threat. If we could help him, I'd be on board with it, you know that about me. I would be backing you up, just like old times. But we can't help him. This isn't about a potential threat, this is about sympathy.

ANDREW turns his head too look back at NICK

Nick
(Almost pleading)
Andrew... It’s a mercy killing, not a murder.

ANDREW pauses to think. He and NICK stand in silence.

Andrew
I'm gonna go ask him, it's his choice. Not ours.

Nick
Are you serious?

ANDREW wordlessly exits the Shack, walking off down a trail towards the back of the Campgrounds. Nick follows him.

Scene transitions to ANDREW walking along the trail as more and more of the survivors at the camp begin to follow him. As the ever-growing march expands, a little girl, GABI, walks up next to ANDREW

Gabi
What are you doing?

Andrew
Regulating.

GABI stops, ANDREW stops too and looks at her

Gabi
(Curiously)
Your going to kill him aren't you?

Andrew
(Looking away from her, coldly)
It hasn't been decided yet.

ANDREW starts walking again, GABI follows him

Gabi
Then what are you doing?

Andrew
Asking him.

Gabi
But... he's going to want to die! You can’t let him choose!

Andrew
So then he will, it's not my call or yours. It’s his choice. It’s his life.

Gabi
But...
ANDREW grabs GABI and pulls her off to the side of the trail. The crowd following him stops, and keep their distance.

Andrew
I know what your going to say, trust me I do. But I can't debate this with you. We have no say here, only he does.

GABI continues to look at ANDREW with disappointment.

Gabi
(Sternly)
He's a person.

Andrew
(Annoyed)
Do you think I don't know that or something? Because I know. I don't want to do this. I know he's going to want me to kill him, and I know I'm going to have to do it. One thing that's going to make it a lot easier for me though, is if you stop acting disappointed in me. You know I can't live with you thinking that.

Gabi
(Apologetically)
I'm sorry...

GABI hugs ANDREW ANDREW returns the hug, stands up and continues walking. NICK is seen in the background, looking as if he is disappointed in ANDREW. Scene transitions to The Medical Tent, illuminated only by the dying fire outside it. The camp nurse sits outside the tent by the fire. As ANDREW and the crowd approach. ANDREW turns to face the crowd.

Andrew
(Loudly, but Calmly)
Leave now, this isn’t a stage show for you to enjoy.

All of the crowd leaves except for GABI and NICK.

Andrew
(To Gabi and Nick)
Wait here.
(To Nurse)
He's inside?

Nurse
Yup, he's weak, very. He won't be around much longer.

ANDREW looks back at NICK and GABI one last time. NICK has a serious "get it over with" face while GABI gives ANDREW a look of "Have some sympathy for him" ANDREW walks inside the tent. ZACH lies on a cot in the far left corner of the tent. The 13 year old boy lies with a bag of ice over his head, breathing frantically.

Andrew
(With Pseudo-Optimism)
Hey, Zach. How ya feeling?

Zach
(Weakly)
Pain. Lot's of pain.

Andrew
Zach, I should have come here sooner. We both know what has happened to you, what is going to happen to you. I know your in pain, and I want to offer you a choice.

ANDREW steps closer to ZACH, ZACH opens his eyes and looks at ANDREW. ANDREW spins the barrel of his revolver and then locks it into place.

Andrew
(Continued)
Do you want to live as long as you can, or do you want me to kill you and stop you from coming back.

Zach
Well, I thought you’d never ask.

Andrew
(Confused)
What?

Zach
I’ve been lying in this bed for over two days now. My head hurts, i’m constantly hot and sweating. I can’t eat solid food and can only drink water. I know I’m going to die too, I saw what happened to the others, I know it’s going to be no different for me.

Andrew
Who knows, maybe you won’t die. Maybe you’ll be the first who pulls through this. You’ll get close to the brink of death, and then at the last second you’ll snap back.

ZACH smiles

Zach
I think we both know that’s not happening.

Andrew
Call it wishful thinking, but you need to keep hope alive.

The two sit in silence for awhile, and then ZACH turns to ANDREW

Zach
Kill me.

Andrew
(Surprised, with fear and sadness in his voice)
Now listen to me. Are you sure you want me to do that. There is no second chance.

Zach
Andrew, don't bullshit me, I’ve got enough people doing that. I don’t need it from you.... I'm just in too much pain... I'm not coming back from this, and everyone knows it. Just do it.

Andrew
Have you given it any thought at all? Have you considered all possibilities?

Zach
Andrew, I’ve known I was going to die from the start. At first it was sad. Sad beyond comprehension. But then there was this moment of realization. It’s a way out. It’s a way out of my pain and suffering. I don’t want to die anymore, I... just want to be dead. If that makes any sense.

Andrew
(Still unsure)
Yeah, it does.
ZACH sit’s up as much as he can in bed.

Zach
Andrew, listen. It’s mercy... not murder.

ANDREW sighs and puts his handgun to Zach’s head. He hesitates to fire.

Zach
Thank You...

Andrew
(Coldly and Sadly, a tear rolling down his cheek)
Your Welcome.

ANDREW fires, cut to black.

SCENE fade back into a view outside the Medical Tent. GABI and NICK stand outside in the glow of the fires embers, heads down. ANDREW emerges from the tent, and the two raise their heads. ANDREW looks at them, and then turns and walks away.

The Scene changes to ANDREW’s cabin where the kids that he has taken care of since before the Apocalypse, JAMES, IVAN, DANNY, and SETH sit on the porch waiting for him. ANDREW wordlessly approaches the cabin, GABI following behind him.

James
I think Andrew’s coming.

Ivan
You guy’s heard the gunshot right, he’s not going to be happy.

Seth
I don’t think anyone would have expected him too be.

Danny
We should probably just leave him alone when he get’s here.

ANDREW walks up to the Cabin, climbs the stairs, and goes right inside. IVAN runs in front of the door

Ivan
(Shouting)
Well hi!

Seth
(Slaps Ivan)
Jerk, leave him alone. He’s not happy.

Ivan
(Turning away from the door and too a chair on the corner of the deck)
Bet you a 100 bucks nobody is.

GABI approaches the boys and climbs the stairs to the cabin.

Gabi
You guys saw Andrew, right?

Ivan
Yeah, he didn’t seem too happy.

Gabi
You know what he had too do right?

Danny
Off that kid?

Gabi
That’s not exactly a polite way too put it, but yes. Andrew killed Zach out of mercy.

Seth
(Shocked)
Doesn’t sound like mercy to me.

Gabi
(Sarcastically)
Guess it doesn’t make since to an 8 year old.

Ivan
(Annoyed)
Oh so just because he’s eight he can’t understand what mercy is?

Gabi
That’s not what I’m saying, and you should no better too, your 11.

James
(Quietly)
Guys maybe this isn’t the time to fight...

Ivan
(To James)
Shut Up.
(To Gabi)
You to, you’re not in charge. You’re not my boss, plus you’re the same age as me. So I don’t know why you’re trying to talk down too me.

Gabi
Maybe if you would grow up I wouldn’t have too.

Danny
Maybe if you would leave us alone you wouldn’t have to either.

While the other four continue too bicker, JAMES slips off into the cabin to see ANDREW. He find ANDREW sitting on his bed, contemplating the empty bullet casing in the moonlight.

James
(Caring)
You alright?

Andrew
Can you believe it’s already October?

James
(Confused)
What?

Andrew
October. It’s already October. Camp’s normally done by September, than i’ve got a whole 7 months before I see this place again. But no... not this year. This year i’m still here. Battening down the hatches, fixing up all the cabins, getting as much supplies for the winter before it comes. Can you imagine that? A summer day camp having to prepare for a long, unheated winter... And that’s not too mention having too still take care of the kids.

James
Well, it’s because of the monsters right?

Andrew
Yup. Those damn monsters. The ones that come in, destroy everything by rarely touching anything. All they have too do is get close enough to a friend... or a loved one... or just a person in general. Then it’s all over, then theres no hope.

James
This is because of what you had to do today, isn’t?

Andrew
(Ashamed)
Yeah, yeah it is. I looked into his eyes as I held the gun to his head. There was no hope, no light. It was gone, anything that had been there before was gone. And in it’s place was just this thing, hanging between life or death just desperately trying to find a way out. And that’s what the world is now. Just something hanging their in the balance. It’s never gonna shift completely one way, something else has to destroy it first. We can’t save it, and the monsters can’t destroy it. Not totally, not without help.

James
(Hopeful)
Well, what if that help comes? What if it’s a simple as everyone learning too work together.

ANDREW laughs and looks down at the floor, then back at JAMES

Andrew
Look, I’ll make you a deal. If this “help”, no matter what it is, ever comes. Whether it be a permanent safe haven, everyone working together, or just a miracle from god. I promise to take you wherever you want in the world.

James
Wherever?

Andrew
Wherever.

ANDREW stands up and walks towards the door of the cabin, hearing the bickering outside, with intent to stop it. JAMES then speaks up, one more time.

James
Cape Cod, if help comes, I wanna go to Cape Cod.

Andrew
(Turns to James, smiling)
Okay.

ANDREW turns and pushes open the Cabin door, scene cuts too black.

The next Scene fades in. It is now morning and ANDREW is at another part of the camp, the BEACHSIDE TABLES. The area is a circle of tables on the edge of the FIRESIDE LAKE that the camp groups meet at in the mornings. ANDREW, NICK, and a couple other counselors walk to the tables, grabbing clipboards and reading over the information on them. ANDREW looks at his roster of campers, DANNY, JAMES, SETH, ANTHONY, JOSHUA, and NIKO are the names printed on the sheet. IVAN and GABI’s names are handwritten at the bottom of the roster, indicating that they have been recently added to the group.

ANDREW
Now, let’s see what’s on the Schedule today.

Another Counselor sitting at the table next to ANDREW’s, BRANDON, responds to ANDREW

Brandon
The usual amount of complicated, boring games we have to play.

Andrew
Come on man, it’s not that boring.

Brandon
(Chuckles)
You try playing kickball every day for five months, then we can talk about what’s boring.

Andrew
Well, you’ve got me there.

Children talking and laughing can be heard in the distance. ANDREW, NICK, BRANDON, and the other counselors poke their heads up.

Counselor
Here they come.

Girl Counselor
(Sarcastically)
Oh yay!

NICK walks over and quickly sits down next to ANDREW.

Nick
(To Andrew, contemplating)
How much longer do you think we can keep up the charade?

Andrew
That the world hasn’t ended?

Nick
That, yes. But what about the fact that you run the camp. You ever going to tell the campers, or the counselors for that matter, that Monica handed over control of the camp to you?

Andrew
Now’s not really the time to talk about that. But let’s just say this. I’m gonna keep the charade that we are still running a summer camp going as long as I have too, or at least can. And Monica posing as leader of the camp is just another part of that plan. Now get back with your group, we’ve got kids to deal with.

NICK gets up and walks away, while ANDREW’s group of campers approach him. Most of them wear long sleeved shirts and jeans or sweatpants, though a few try to stay in the camp spirit and wear t-shirts and shorts.

Andrew
Good morning guys! How was breakfast?

Danny
Terrible, it was even smaller than yesterdays!

Seth
We only got like, a tiny bowl of cereal!

Andrew
I’m sorry guys, but we have 500 mouths to feed. It’s hard to ration the food sometimes. We’ll probably have to get more soon.

Danny
Probably.

ANDREW begins checking off the names of kids on his lists, he stops at JOSHUA’s name and looks around for him. He sees him standing farther down the trail, paused, looking at something.

Andrew
Niko, can you go get Josh?

Niko
No, he’s being weird again.

Seth
He’s always being weird.

Some of the other boy’s giggle, but ANDREW gets up and starts walking down towards JOSHUA.

Andrew
(Arriving, bends down on one knee next to JOSH)
Hey, Josh. What’s up?

JOSH just looks off into the forest. ANDREW looks to see what he’s looking at. Off in the distance, ANDREW see’s a deer

Andrew
(Continued)
The deer?

JOSH turns to Andrew and smiles.

Andrew
(Cont.)
The Deer is pretty cool huh? What do you like about it?

Josh
Nice

Andrew
Yeah, Deer are nice. Nicer than most thins are in this world now.

ANDREW and JOSH look back towards the Deer, it sees them and suddenly bounds away.

Andrew
(cont.)
Hey, let’s go back to the table and play with the other kids for a little while, okay?

JOSH’s face drops from a smile to a look of indifference.

Andrew
(Cont.)
Oh come on, it’ll be fun. You always have fun with them. They’re your friends!

JOSH shakes his head in resistance, and then Andrew sees, out of the corner of his eye, someone standing next to him.

James
Come on Josh, we are gonna go play with worms and then build a worm highway in the woodchips!

JAMES extends his hand for JOSH’s, JOSH seems at first reluctant, but eventually takes it and walks off with JAMES.

ANDREW starts walking back towards his table, but then stops. He looks over to his group, and see’s everybody but JAMES appear to be avoiding JOSH. Andrew stands still for a moment

Andrew
(Loudly)
Hey guys, come over here real quick. James and Josh, you two can stay, everyone else over here.

DANNY, SETH, ANTHONY, JOSHUA, NIKO, IVAN, and GABI walk over to ANDREW, clustering in front of him.

Andrew
(Leaning in, trying to be meaningful)
I want to make something straight here. Things are tough, the world we live in now... it’s a tough world. We aren’t going to be able to survive in it if we can’t learn to get along.

Anthony
What do you mean?

ANDREW points to NIKO
Andrew
Anthony, Niko is your brother in this world.

ANDREW points to DANNY
Andrew
Niko, Danny is yours.

ANDREW points to IVAN
Danny, Ivan is your brother. We are all brothers here. We are not divided. We work, sleep, survive together as Brothers...

ANDREW looks at GABI
Andrew
(cont.)
And Sister. I guarantee you we wont get anywhere if we don’t become a family.

Seth
But we aren’t a family. We are just a bunch of kids and your a teenager.

Andrew
(Smiles)
See, you missed the point. We are not blood related, yes. In the technical term, we are just a group of 10 people all stuck in the same situation. We need to be more than that. We aren’t a family now, but we need to become one.

ANDREW stops, he can see the kids contemplating his statement

Andrew
(Continues, Points at Josh)
Josh is your brother, no more acting like he’s weird or out of place. He is your brother, you stand by him and help him. And that goes for everyone of us. Understood?

All Kids
Yes, Andrew.

Andrew
Good to hear. But no more serious talk, let’s go play a game.

Scene shifts to later in the day. It is around lunch time, and ANDREW has left the kids temporarily to deal with another issue elsewhere. All the Kids, JAMES, DANNY, SETH, ANTHONY, JOSHUA, NIKO, IVAN, and GABI, are walking together back to the cabin, where they are going to eat lunch.

Niko
What do you think he had to go do?

Ivan
Hopefully, gettin us some more food. I’m starting to starve!

Gabi
Oh quit complaining, at least you get to eat. I bet you there are people out there who don’t even get 1 meal a day anymore. We get 3.

Danny
She’s gotta point, i’d rather have 3 small meals than nothing.

Ivan
(huffs)

Seth
Why do we eat at the cabin now and not at the table?

James
Andrew said something about keeping us safer, don’t know from what.

Anthony
The monsters, James, don’t be stupid.

James
I’m not being stupid, the monsters can’t get us here. Andrew told me.

Ivan
Yeah well he lied to you, the only thing keeping the monsters off camp is an easy to break wooden fence and some guys with guns. Take away those things, and you could easily get grabbed.

Gabi
Ivan, enough....

Ivan
(Ignoring Gabi, Approaching James)
And you know what happens when they get you right?

JAMES stands still, trying to give IVAN a brave look, but showing obvious signs of fear

Ivan
They grab you, pull you back, and bite you. Wherever they please, they don’t care that it will hurt. They will bite you, draw blood, and then leave you too die. And when you die, you become one of them.

Gabi
(Shocked)
Ivan!

Ivan
What? I’m not gonna deal with some dumb kid who doesn’t know what the hell is going on!

Niko
You cursed!

IVAN turns, his face filled with annoyance. He approaches NIKO, getting right in his face

Ivan
I know I fucking cursed.

IVAN back’s off

Ivan
I’m done here, forget you guys. I’m going to the cabin. I’m only in this damn group because I trust Andrew knows how to deal with what’s happening. I’m not here to be your friend.

IVAN storms off towards the cabin

Josh
He was mad.

James
Yeah, he was very, very mad.

The Kids continue their walk through the woods towards the cabin. As they are walking on a path along the lake, a figure suddenly jumps out of the bushes, pushing JOSH into the shallow water

Niko
(Shouting)
Monster!

IVAN meanwhile is ahead of the group, almost back at the cabin. As he is about to step into the Cabin Circle’s clearing, he hears NIKO’s scream. He looks at the direction of the scream, then back at the cabin. His face starts to show signs of fear as he realizes no one is around to help, except himself.

The boys all run and hide behind GABI, who has turned to face the figure. The figure turns, revealing itself to be one of the older boys and a CIT at the camp, a 14 year old named MATT

Matt
(Non-chalant)
Sorry little girl.

Gabi
Matt, what are you doing?

Matt
Can’t let the precious food go to waste on this kid...

MATT gestures to JOSH

Matt
(cont.)
...now can we?

Gabi
It’s not a waste if it keeps him alive.

Matt
(Annoyed grin)
I know this kid, i’ve been watching him. He adds nothing to this camp! He cannot help us survive! Why waste our food on him when we can use it to help keep the rest of the camp alive.

MATT jumps into the water, where JOSH is still laying, watching. MATT stands over him.

Gabi
What are you going to do to him? You can’t kill him.

Matt
I don’t intend too, I just want to let him know who’s better than him.

MATT winds up a punch, and punches JOSH in the face, knocking him into the water.

James
(Shouting)
No! Leave him alone!

Matt
Shut up!

Cut back to IVAN, still standing on the hill. He hears JAMES scream, and his facial expression changes from one of fear to determination. He begins walking back down the hill.

Scene cuts back to the group at the water. MATT winds up and let’s loose another punch.

James
Leave him alone!

Danny
Stop!

Niko
He’s our brother! You leave him alone!

Matt
(Laughs)
Oh ya, who’s gonna help your brother? None of you can take me.

MATT turns back to JOSH

Ivan
(Off-Camera)
Me.

IVAN comes running out of the woods, jumps off the edge of the lake, kicking MATT in the back and knocking him into the water. IVAN then walks over, picks him up by the head, and slams it back into the water. He finishes by kicking MATT in the side of the chest, and then picking his head back up out of the water.

Ivan
You never touch my brother again, do you understand? You don’t touch ANY of my brothers, or my sister. They are off-limits to you.

Matt
(Gasping for breath)
Okay...okay...

IVAN slams MATT’s head back into the water, and kicks him once more for good measure. He then walks over to JOSH, and offers him his hand.

IVAN
Josh, let’s go home.

JOSH, despite now having a black eye, smiles and grabs IVAN’s hand

Josh
Okay, brother.

IVAN and JOSH climb out of the water and walk towards the others. IVAN passes JOSH off to JAMES and DANNY, who take him and begin helping him walk up the hill. IVAN then glances at GABI, who gives him a look that says “Thank You”. As JOSH, JAMES, SETH, DANNY, NIKO, ANTHONY, and GABI begin walking up the hill towards the Cabin Circle, IVAN takes a minute to look at his hands. His Knuckles have small cuts on them from the fight. IVAN lowers his hands and begins following the group up the hill.

Scene shifts to ANDREW, NICK, BRANDON, MONICA, and an older man named EMANUEL standing around a table. They are inside the Companion House, the main building on the camp, standing in a dimly lit meeting room.

Nick
(To Monica)
So you have a list of what you say we need right?

MONICA takes a piece of paper out of her pocket and hands it to NICK

Monica
Gas, generators, warm clothing, non-Perishable food, drinks, weapons, tools, wood, building materials, maybe some educational material, and a couple more miscellaneous things.

Brandon
That’s a pretty long list.

Monica
(Shooting Brandon a look)
You want to get through the Winter right?

Brandon
(Put’s hands up)
I’m just saying, we are trying to minimize risk here. Getting every luxury we can is not minimizing risk.

Monica
None of these are luxuries. We need everything on this list if we are going to live comfortably, let alone through winter.

Andrew
Who said anything about living comfortably?

Everyone gives looks over at ANDREW, MONICA gives him an angry look.

Andrew
(Continued)
Look, we all want to live comfortably, but that’s not whats important anymore. What’s important is surviving. But, with that said, I think everything on Monica’s list IS neccesary for survival, especially come winter.

Nick
In all fairness, Andrew, we still are trying to get this al done with minimal risk. You said it yourself, you aren’t losing more people.

Andrew
I’m not, we are just gonna have to go some place that has all this stuff we need. Wood, clothing, gas, etc.

Nick
And where is that?

Andrew
I’m glad you asked.

ANDREW pulls out a map of the Area and points to a red circle drawn in on the map.

Andrew
West Peakdale Shopping Center, home to Wal-Mart and Home Depot. We go in, we bring a couple pick-up trucks and vans, we load up, we get out. Simple as that. No drama, no death, short span of time, low risk, high reward.

Monica
Done.

Emanuel
Done.

Brandon
Sold.

NICK nods his head approvingly.

Monica
Now we just have one more issue, Andrew, when are you going to tell everyone that you are in charge?

Andrew
Not until the time is right.

Monica
And when do you think that would be? It would seem unwise to lead a group of people through a puppet government for too long.

Andrew
Well as far as they know, I’m not.

Monica
They should know who their leader is.

Andrew
Not right now, right now they need to be comfortable. They are more comfortable with consistency than with change. Too much change has already taken place. Once we pull off this supply retrieval, once we build up that wall, then I’ll tell them. But not until we are safe.

Monica
(Matter of Factly)
What about your little stunt last night? You don’t think people are going to start questioning my leadership if I don’t do something about you killing that kid?

ANDREW looks around the room too NICK and BRANDON

Andrew
(Turning to leave)
Tell them “It was mercy”.

ANDREW begins walking back to the Cabin Circle to catch up with his group for lunch. BRANDON comes running up behind him

Brandon
Hey man, you alright?

Andrew
Kinda weird question to be asking right now, huh?

Brandon
In a way.

The two walk in silence for a bit.

Andrew
You think we’ll be able to get through the winter?

Brandon
Once you tell everyone that you are in charge, yes.

Andrew
I can’t just do that. The idea that this place is still a summer camp is the only thing these people have left of the old world really. Take Monica out of leadership, this isn’t a summer camp. It’s a survivalist colony.

The two walk in silence again.

Andrew
(cont.)
You’re with me on this, right?

Brandon
To an extent. I much more agree with Monica’s intentions though. These people need to know who’s really in charge, in a world like this, they need someone to look up too.

Andrew
And I’m that someone?

Brandon
You proved it that first night. You proved it again last night.

Andrew
I don’t know if killing the first zombie, giving orders, assisting people, and then shooting a child in the head qualify me as a leader.

Brandon
You’re underselling yourself, have some faith.

Andrew
Do you remember when we used to joke about stuff like this. We’d be sitting in the halls of High School, joking about what we’d do in a zombie apocalypse, what role we would play.

Brandon
(distant)
Yeah... feels a lot different than we thought, huh?

Andrew
You remember what role I always ended up getting told I’d be?

Brandon
Martyr...

Andrew
Never leader. I wasn’t charismatic enough, demanding enough, mean enough. Always the Martyr, the first guy to die, inspiring everyone else to survive.

Brandon
Is that why you won’t tell anyone? Do you honestly think you still fit in that role.

The two arrive at ANDREW’s cabin.

Andrew
I’d say it’s up for debate.

ANDREW goes inside, shutting the door behind him.

The Scene shifts to late in the day. ANDREW and his group are in the cabin, resting after a long day. ANDREW sit’s on his bed, while the kids all sit on their sleeping bags.

Niko
Andrew, can we play dodgeball again tomorrow?

Andrew
I don’t know, I don’t want it to get stale.

Ivan
Oh come on! It was fun!

Andrew
You, calm down. You just like inflicting injury on others.

Ivan
(Smiling)
So?

Gabi
I want to do Art’s and Crafts.

Boys
Boo!

Gabi
Really!

Andrew
I agree with Gabi, I think something less violent and energy consuming would actually be good.

Danny
You’re just a lazy bum!

Andrew
(laughs)
And?

DANNY gives him a playful smack.

James
Can we go off camp one day? We haven’t left the camp in like two months.

Seth
Yeah it’d be nice to go somewhere else for like a day.

Andrew
I cannot tell you guys how much I agree with you, but we don’t know if there are any safe places outside the camp.

Seth
Monsters everywhere?

Andrew
Most likely, rather not take chances.

Anthony
Are things ever gonna go back to normal?

It gets really quiet in the room. ANDREW doesn't initially say anything, and the previously happy faces of the children begin to fade away.


James
(Popping Up)
Of course! Everything will get better eventually. We just have to wait, it will come.

Andrew
He's right. We've just got too push a little bit longer. We've been through so much, nothing going to bring us down. Things will get better, I promise you.

Seth
What'll happen when things get better? You know... Most people are d... Gone

ANDREW reaches over and gives SETH a comforting pat on the head.

Andrew
That, my friend, is a conversation for another time. Right now though, it is cold, it is late, and it's time for you all to sleep.

All Kids
Awwwww!

Andrew
No complaining, get a good nights sleep. We'll talk more in the morning.

The Kids all climb into bed, some of them quickly change into pajamas before doing so. ANDREW makes a round, doing a head count and making sure they are all safe. He then walks out too the porch to enjoy the nice night before turning in himself.

Monica
(Outside on the Porch as Andrew comes out)
You really do look out for those kids don't you?

Andrew
(Walking out to the porch and leaning against the side)
Is anyone else going too?

Monica
No, but it still surprises me. Most of the counselors aren't showing the same commitment to their kids that you are showing. I thank you for that.

Andrew
Maybe it's cause they still treat them like kids.

Monica
(Confused)
What do you mean?



Andrew
Every year, you've always given us limits when it comes to the kids. What we can talk about, what we can say, what we can't talk about or say. What we can and can't do. There have always been these limits, completely understandable ones, but limits nonetheless. The limits allow the kids and counselors to become friends, nothing beyond that. If we want to survive, we can't be Campers, Counselors, Directors, and Random Civilians. We have too be one, a family. That's what I've told my group , that's what the other groups have to start doing.

Monica
Isn't that something the other counselors should have already been doing?

Andrew
Yes.

Monica
Then why aren't they doing it?

Andrew
They still look at this as a job. Maybe not Brandon and Nick, but the other Counselors do. They don't realize the true commitment they have to make.

MONICA and ANDREW stand on the porch in silence. The wind blows in the darkness outside the cabin. The two reflect on what Andrew has just said.

Monica
(Breaking the Silence)
This is why you are going to make a good leader. This is what these people need. You keep those kids safe, but understand that this whole camp needs you. You care.

Andrew
(Smiling, turning back to the Cabin door)
I know.
© Copyright 2012 BreakingDead (breakingdead at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906917-The-Regulator-Original-Script