*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1907017-The-girl-with-five-gold-rings-in-one-ear
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Ghost · #1907017
Gothic urban legend / ghost story
The girl with five gold rings in one ear

After being granted a night off from endless drinking binges that’s resulted in many wild times with the other sexually-frustrated Fraternity boys around Campus, where other college boys entice the freshman girls to drink for free and the more attractive more sexually aggressive women use their feminine whiles, exposing their most valued assets, as a means to get a decent grade on a paper and partying hard in intense competition with other fair-haired College chicks, Tiffany and Britney, a couple of typical College party-goers with long platinum blond curls decided to play a little game one late evening, roughly around midnight.
Both alone in the Delta Beta dormitory; their Fraternity, many empty pizza boxes later, still vainly focused on the devastation the high intake of fattening food will have on their slim hips, calories a serious issue and dreamily mesmerized over dreary poorly scripted late night T.V. like Beverly Hills 90210 or Sunset Beach (their favourite shows) that somehow still seems highly appealing to younger audiences. They turned their attentions to the upstairs bathroom; a single black candle in one hand and a cluster of gold rings in the other, five in total.
“Tiffany? Do we really have to do this? I’m scared”. Britney nervously looked around the room, wide-eyed very on edge; tiny frown lines pinching at her forehead, cautiously crawling up the stairs; one slow drawn out step at a time.
“Don’t worry this is gonna be fun” Tiffany looked back at her grinning slyly; knowing exactly what she what she was trying to do. “Besides, Lilith doesn’t like Scaredy cats. She’ll kill you if she suspects. And she’s especially worse with Cry-babies. You’re not Gonne cry are you?” She eyed up Britney curiously behind her, turning around and grinned to herself in the corner of her mouth.
“No”, she answered back, not amused but still avoiding eye contact with Tiffany; feeling uneasy but still trying to look convincing.
Tiffany laughed erratically. “Oh come on. What are you so afraid of? You seriously don’t believe in ghosts do you?” Tiffany hid her face; hiding her amusement. ‘This is too easy’ she thought to herself.
After pushing away the many thousands of bottles away of beauty products stacked high around the sink with the back of her hand and picking away at glued toothpaste clinging heavily to the sides; both hands at their faces and screaming in disgust. Tiffany arranged the five gold rings around the black candle and lit the wick.
Remaining still in the poorly lit room the atmosphere very oppressive choking almost; the small flicker of candlelight their only source. Tiffany grabbed Britney by the hand, both staring at each other; one expecting no outcome but still strangely curious the other practically in tears beside herself both cried out her name five times. “Lilith, Lilith…” And so on.
A small glimmer of an opportunity opens; a doorway between this reality and that of the spectral plain for Lilith to escape from her hellish torment, a thin greyed wall-like membrane separating both worlds. She stands close to the tear, the supposed impervious fabric between multiple alternate dimensions imperfect, and the taste for freedom ever so alluring. Her hair messed in disarray, her expression blank showing no sign of distress or anguish.
She waits in stilled silence, the perforated mirror image of a teenage girl uncomfortable in her own soul, inwardly unattractive as well as out she sees herself, in death as well as life.
Lilith, the tiny quietly spoken sixteen year old girl, having sliced open her own wrists ten years ago to the senseless bullying she endured; having peers her own age at school teasing her mercilessly. Her alternative fashion sense, nineteenth century Gothic clothing, the result of their amusement on a daily basis. She’s rumoured to return and brutally slay anybody she’s deemed responsible for her misery.
In the tight claustrophobic atmosphere, Lilith spies the two size-zeros girls, still envious and pained by her own image though her facial features now an obvious blur, her mouth and nose disappeared entirely that signifies how she saw herself when she was still alive, a shadow a ghost still alive that moves through their world unnoticed apart from them who made her life a living hell.
She tastes the light of their youth, life growing deep inside them maturing every day, and their scent mouth-watering. She longs to be amongst them again she still wants to be one of them as she did in life. One of the popular girls who got everything she never had; the boys, the expensive cars and most of all acceptances amongst their kind.
She sees a chance to escape from the surrounding madness; a way forward out of her perpetual prison. She steps forward and scares the bimbos half to death; both hurtling down the stairs and towards the front door. The faceless entity of a teenage girl misunderstood caught between the living and the dead in a nightmare from which she can’t wake. She floats in an empty abyss…Purgatory. She steps back into the shadowed light into her eternal life now realising she can’t go back and replenish herself made flesh, retrieve lost fragments to the enigma surrounding Lilith the girl she used to be, her physical self, and this here now is her future and that alone offers some relief light a companion she’s yearned for what seemed like ever in this alternative time and space.

© Copyright 2012 Mrwriter (clued at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1907017-The-girl-with-five-gold-rings-in-one-ear