*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1908173-Spooky-Spectral---Based-on-a-True-Story
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1908173
Attempt at DFF 121212
Amy gave me her quirky busy-body look. I ignored her and averted my face to block her view of my glasses. No luck, "Hey Melissa, what's up with the new glasses?" Her intended question: 'Why are you wearing those dorky red frames with one lense missing.' I stifled a heavy sigh and moan.

"They're in the shop." I rustled papers, i.e. leave me alone.

"Why, sit on them again?" Though not a violent person, I wanted to slap that sly grin off her face. "You shouldn't leave important things laying around. You lost one lense to those already? You should be more careful with things. Boss might think you're irresponsible with everything..." Attempts to drown out her self-righteous ramblings failed.

"I almost died." She gaped at me with surprise, then skepticism.

"What do you mean almost died?

"I got away, before I was hurt. " She assessed me, I hadn't expected her to believe me.

"Tell me." Perhaps it would help to talk about it...

"I wanted to run before it got dark."

"But it's dark before seven..."

"Keep interrupting and I won't get through half the story." She bit her lip. "Just to the end of the trail and back was the plan. It got dark a quarter mile from Iron Horse Park; you know the one?" She nodded. I really had her going, probably because the fear in my voice wasn't faked. "I was extra careful, looked around whole time. I got all the way to the parking lot when I noticed."

"Noticed what?" Amy blurted.

"I'd lost my glasses. I hadn't heard them drop over the sound of my breathing and heavy heartbeat. I didn't want to go back but I get horrible headaches without them."

"That why you'd rather be seen in those eyesores?" The smirk was back. I narrowed my eyes. "Sorry, continue."

"I turned on my phone's flashlight and retraced my steps. I heard the scratch of every leaf blown against the asphalt, felt the eye of every creature."

"Ooo, and your glasses are brown too! Near impossible to see those amongst all the leaves, sand and twigs."

I eyed her appraisingly. "Exactly! I was starting to get a headache with the concentration, didn't want to overlook my spectacles thinking them foliage. I was nearly back to the lot when I saw it." Amys' eyes widened.

"Saw what?"

"A huge spectral dog on the bridge before the park ramp."

Amy gasped quizzically. "Spectral? Like a ghost?"

"His mouth vapors gathered around him like ghost cloud. It was huge, shaggy, and black!"

"Mhmm, then what?" She no longer believed. I wasn't phased.

"Didn't break eye contact until the baring of teeth; dominance. I slowly walked backwards, not taking my eyes off his form. It tracked me with its' gaze. I back pedaled faster until I heard a sickening crunch underneath my foot, a rock? My glasses. Startled I jumped and looked down, Doggy no likey, he came at me. I swooped up my glasses and ran. I turned halfway to the lot and faced Big Scary, he didn't charge. He stalked again. Assessed me, took slow deliberate strides to my left; backing me into the fence on my right. I thought to shine my flashlight but then my cell died."

"No freakin' way," I had her again.

“He came again. Teeth aimed for my throat. I front kicked him mid-leap then ball kicked him a few times before running like the wind."

"Then what?"

"Then nothing, I made it home safe and sound."

"Ugh, that's the lamest story ever Three Eyes." I chuckled as she stomped away.

----------------------
Amy slammed down into her office chair. Melissa was such a loser sometimes. Black spectral dogs, she couldn't come up with a better story for how she lost her glasses? Dropped them down a sewer most like. She could be such the Mrs. Magoo when she wanted.
She began searching for the latest news articles online. The color drained from her face when she saw the first news story: "Killer dog found dead. Others on the loose, presumably in....Sugarland Falls"
That's where I live, thought Amy

--------------------------
Image credit to come
© Copyright 2012 A*Monaing*Faith (afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1908173-Spooky-Spectral---Based-on-a-True-Story