*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909201-Christmas-Letter-2012--Humble-Service
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Religious · #1909201
I take a contemporary Christian Christmas song and apply some meaning for us.
BREATH OF HEAVEN
Lyrics by Chris Eaton and Amy Grant

I have traveled many moonless nights,
Cold and weary with a babe inside,
And I wonder what I've done.
Holy Father, You have come
And chosen me now to carry Your son.

I am waiting in a silent prayer.
I am frightened by the load I bear.
In a world as cold as stone,
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now.  Be with me now.

Do You wonder as You watch my face,
If a wiser one should have had my place,
But I offer all I am for the mercy of Your plan.
Help me be strong.  Help me be.  Help me.

Breath of Heaven, hold me together.
Be forever near me, Breath of Heaven.
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness,
Pour over me Your holiness, for You are holy.
Breath of Heaven.


         In “Breath of Heaven,” Amy Grant sings about what it might have been like for Mary as a young teenage girl, traveling to Bethlehem with Joseph, to have been chosen by God to bear the long-awaited, promised Messiah.  Like Amy, we can only imagine what myriad thoughts and feelings went through Mary's mind:  excitement and eager anticipation; wonder and awe; fear and worry; incredible responsibility and perhaps even inadequacy.  Yet despite everything, I believe that Mary was ultimately confident in God's plan—that He would be with her and give her the strength she needed to become the mother of God's Son.
         What always strikes me the most about Mary's story is what we read in Luke 1:38 after the angel told Mary she would bear the Messiah:  “'I am the Lord's servant,' Mary answered.  'May it be to me as you have said.'  Then the angel left her.”  Upon Mary was bestowed the greatest honor of any Jewish woman at the time, and her response was mere humility.
         Mary serves as example to us all during this busy, hectic Christmas season.  It's so easy to focus on ourselves and what we want, or to frantically look for those perfect gifts for all the people on our lists.  Instead of getting caught up in all the hustle and bustle and the “gimme, gimme” that pervades our society this time of year, may we remember that ultimately, the Christmas season is about God's long-foretold Suffering Servant coming into the world to be Emmanuel.  Like Jesus and like Mary, may we focus not on ourselves and our own gratifications, but on others and how best to serve others and God this holiday season.

Much love to all of you this Christmas season and throughout the coming New Year!
© Copyright 2012 ZukoRocks30 (zukorocks30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909201-Christmas-Letter-2012--Humble-Service