*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1910956-New-Years-Ball
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1910956
Con meets con...neither knows what's on!
New Year’s Ball


Tammy hoped the cab fare wouldn’t exceed her wallet’s limits and thankfully, it didn’t.She stepped out cautiously in her Jimmy Choo stilettos and trudged towards Mr. Antonio D’Silva’s palace, wearing an Ana Torres evening gown and an exquisite diamond neck-piece and, she was, well, stone-broke!

A housekeeper’s job at a high-flying banker’s in London, ensured Tammy a healthy allowance, but she despised the grind of it. She wanted out, and planned it by stealing small pieces of jewels as the opportunity arose. The banker’s daughter caught her in the act one morning, and they kicked her out the next moment. To avoid a scandal, they kept the police out. Luckily, she’d managed to scoop away the clothes that she now wore and the sparkling neck-piece. They’d probably discover it soon… Thus, she was heading to the New Year’s ball she’d heard her employers discussing.

There has to be someone here who’ll get me outta this city…
she thought. She knew little else about her host other than his recent inheritance of millions from a far away aunt.

A uniformed guard curtsied to her at the gate and said, “Good evening M’am, enjoy the party and have a splendid 2013!”

“Uh….yes, thank you, thank you so much…” The sprawling palace took her breath away. Lit up in gold, it looked resplendent. I can’t do this; they’ll catch me in a second!



“Excuse me, waiter?” Inside the ball-room, a guest called out to Jeff. “Could you please escort me to the washroom?”

“Certainly Sir. This way…” Jeff led him up the stairs, into a corridor and then a room. Before he knew it, Jeff pressed a kerchief to his mouth and soon enough, Jeff swaggered out as the Ambassador of Utopia. 



Tammy tottered towards the ball-room along with other dignitaries, or so they appeared.

There were about two hundred people mingling with each other, and a soft, dreamy number greeted her ears. Gowns and dresses flowed all around her, as did the glasses of wine. She took a drink and began to relax, when someone tapped her shoulder. Her heart lurched. They’ve called the police; they know I’m a con! Oh God…

She turned slowly and saw a blonde woman grinning at her. Before Tammy knew it, the woman grabbed her and gave her an air kiss. Then she giggled, and Tammy saw her belly jiggling too.

“Oh darling, why you look so lost?” She drawled, and sipped her drink, “I’m Mrs. Alexandra O’ Neil, just FYI…Mike O’Neil, the famous barrister?” Tammy had no idea. “He’s my husband!”

“Oh, of course! What a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. O’Neil!”

“You too! Cheer up honey! I’ll just go over to Toni and tell him how lovely the foie gras is. Excuse me!” She sprang on another guest a few feet away from them.

Foie…what? Oh chuck it…
Tammy swirled her glass and flashed smiles at random people when another man strolled over to her. Whoa, the suit looks like an important man’s….

“Hello Madame…” Jeff kissed her hand with practiced confidence. “Ambassador of Utopia.”

“Hello Ambassador, I am…”

Presently, Mr. Antonio joined them. Tammy had seen this rotund, little man prancing about the hall, and speaking to each and every guest, and guessed that he must be the host.

“Oh hello, my lovelies, I hope you’re having a good evening….” He bent forward to peck each of them on the cheek. “This is our great Ambassador of Utopia, of course, and this is our great, umm….”

“Duchess….Duchess of France, Patricia Connelly!” Only I hope she’s not here….

“Oh yes, of course, I’m….I’m surrounded by Royalty all around, you see, it’s a little confusing!  Please do have a lovely evening!” With that he flitted over to lady beside them. Tammy heaved a sigh of relief. It didn’t matter, of course, that Utopia existed only as much as the kingdom of Narnia and that France didn’t have a Duchess…

Jeff turned to Tammy, “So Your Highness, any relations to…Princess Connelly?”

“As a matter of fact, yes!” Jeff’s eyes lit up at that. “She’s my….sister’s brother’s… wife’s… sister-in-law!” …which would’ve been Tammy or her sister, but who cared?

Jeff remembered someone discussing that the Princess was pregnant. Maybe it was time to flaunt the knowledge…

“Oh that’s great! So…any news on the….baby?”

What baby? “Well, the baby’s, umm…Great! We had a screening of the sonography yesterday.” Jeff’s eyes widened in admiration and Tammy smiled. Damn I’m good! “Only for the family members of course! And everything’s great!”

“It’s so good to hear that. Please convey my good wishes to Prince Robert.” Jeff eyed her neck-piece. “Of course, I…I keep meeting him, here and there, you know, but if you meet him any time soon…”

They had moved to a corner of the hall. “Merci, I will. So… mon cher, what’s Utopia like? I’ve never been there.” She touched her bouffant lightly, and felt completely at ease.

“Well, you know… Utopia’s a small nation with a great history. Snoop Lion, you know, hails from there.”

“Oh I didn’t know that!”

So didn’t I…thought Jeff. He might as well have said that Utopia’s citizens hailed from Mars, and she wouldn’t have so much as batted an eye-lid. He was an Ambassador after all!

“Our economy’s not doing very well actually…”  He assumed a grave expression. “Of course our neighbors, Egypt and Australia have been very helpful indeed, so… we’re surviving.” Tammy nodded sympathetically.

“Would you like to dance?” Jeff offered her his hand and Tammy took it. They started swaying to the music, lost in their own thoughts.

Boy, I’ve hit on a gold mine! The friggin’ Duchess of France!
He swirled her around.

Duchess of France! Tammy chuckled. Take me outta London baby; I’ll take you to my palace…..

The clock struck twelve and they hugged heartily; each as broke and happy as the other! 



Word count: 968
© Copyright 2012 lochinver (bebog at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1910956-New-Years-Ball