*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911423-Nanlandia-a-Growing-Nation
Rated: E · Other · History · #1911423
Fiction Work, part of a school project discussing Imperialism in the late 19th century
In the late 19th century the world was composed of many nations with conflicting political and social views and was considered the Era of Imperialism. Imperialism is the extension of a nations authority by force or threat over another country or territory (Goff, 2008). Imperialism would play a primary role in the events that lead up to the beginning WWI as nations such as Germany, Great Britain and Russia began to seek power over one and other. In the 20th century the term, Imperialism was used to describe the domination of stronger powers through political, economic, cultural or military means (Goff, 2008)
Although there were many struggles in the East, the West dominated the 20th century, leading the world in scientific discoveries and technological advancements as well as significant economic and military power. Economic trends rapidly expanded primarily due to the Industrial Revolution and advances in communication and transportation created the first worldwide economy (Goff, 2008).
During the 20th century, one nation that remained neutral during the events leading up to WWI was the country of Nanlandia. Founded in 1822 by immigrants migrating from Europe, Great Britain and France, the country was growing as one of the world’s great industrial nations. Similar to the Americas, Nanlandia was a nation of growing population as agricultural and industrial labor pools are flooded with settlers looking for work.
The settlers of Nanlandia were united from the beginning, forming a nation based on conservative politics, they looked to create regulation of industry to improve working conditions, ease up on imperialism and let imperial colonies govern themselves to a greater degree. Government polices included the outlaw of abuse toward native peoples and provided all individuals freedom of speech, the right to vote, and the right to bare arms by governing for the people by the people. The policies would work to create a unified common goal while allowing individual groups and states to prosper.
Nanlandia would become an independent nation and not rely on any other country for economic or military support. They built a substantial military, which included a strong navy and well trained ground forces to protect their land and people. They did not feel superior to other nations nor did they engage in imperialism. They avoided creating alliances, which prevented other countries from seeing them as a threat. By maintaining a military force capable of defending their own nation, they removed the need for alliances aiming at military protection from aggressive countries. Other nations such as France were divided by political control and had weak industrial systems, to compensate for these weaknesses they were forced to form alliances with other nations to protect themselves from the stronger militaries of Germany and Austria Hungry who were dominating the East at the time.
The beginning of WWI was triggered by the assassination of the Austrian archduke, Franz Ferdinand (Goff, 2008). While other nations sought to fight for control, power and superiority, Nanlandia remained a neutral nation choosing not to form alliances with the America’s, Canada or the Triple Entente, which was a gentleman’s agreement between France, Russia and Great Britain (Goff, 2008), during the beginning of WWI. They remained true to their settlers who sought independence from the countries they had fled and continued to grow and prosper while protecting themselves against the imperialistic ideals of the world.
© Copyright 2013 2920nan (dnharris22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911423-Nanlandia-a-Growing-Nation