*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911489-Suspense-at-the-country-cottage
by kat
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1911489
Geoff and Candice have Fled Toronto, now they are surviving by renting a country cottage.
I was happy to be safe in Sara’s old beat up pickup truck. As I drove down the road I thought about all the things that were possible in the near future. We had been trying to catch the boss for over a year now. If Candice were able to help us put the boss away it would be a new cause for celebration. My mind was racing and I was so distracted I drove right past the grocery store and had to drive around the block. When I pulled into the parking lot I glanced around out of habit noting the shiny sedan parked on the south side of the parking lot. I deliberately parked on the north side of the parking lot as close to the doors as I could get.
As I entered the warm building I warily watched everyone I encountered. Leroy wasn’t very bright, but if he knew I had lied about where Candice was he could be looking for me already. I had to be careful however; everything seemed normal as I walked through the aisles of the store checking off things on the list as I put them in the basket and adding things here and there as I passed. I thought Candice might like a little treat so I picked up a box of popcorn and an inexpensive movie. As I checked out I thought about all of the things on the list that I could not get at the grocery store. The temperature was dropping outside and I knew we would have a hard time keeping warm without blankets. I would have to visit the Pawn shop on the edge of town; and probably the Walgreens nearby. I didn’t dare go home in case Leroy was on to me.
I headed to the borrowed truck with trepidation. I felt like someone was watching me as I wheeled the cart the short distance to my borrowed vehicle. I was relieved to get into the driver’s seat and be on my way. I soon realized that I should have gone to the grocery store last as I had bought perishable items; but it was cold enough that the refrigerated and frozen items would be safe in the back. I put the vegetables in the cab with me to keep them from freezing.
Next, I swung into Harry’s Pawn Shop. I was not in uniform and I hoped he would not recognize me. It had been six months since I visited the shop on the burglary investigation. I was able to pick up the electronics that would make life bearable in the little house. I was happy that Harry had been in the back doing inventory and a young kid was at the register.
Next door at Walgreens I was able to find a few inexpensive, but warm, blankets. I also got towels and some toiletries for both of us. I was not sure what kind of toothpaste Candice would prefer but I figured anything was better than nothing. Before I left town I went to the bank, a branch I normally don’t bank at, and pulled out as much cash as they would allow. I was not sure when I would be able to come back to the city and I knew my credit cards could be traced. I had traveled to the opposite side of town in hopes of throwing them off of my scent. From now on we would have to rely on rural stores and obscure sources. I only hoped we could survive.
The old truck rumbled down the country roads and I was surprised to find Candice waiting with a calm aura surrounding her in the kitchen. I could see her sitting in the uncomfortable wooden chair looking out at me. I thought I saw a moment of panic in her calm face, but when I stepped out of the truck and looked at her again she seem relaxed, almost joyous. She raced out of the house and looked into the back of the truck with wonder.
“It’s nothing like the life you had with the boss, but I got us some things to make this house a home.” I said with sarcasm.
She looked at me and smiled. She had a sense of innocence about her that I did not expect.
“Well let’s make the best of it. We have a lot of work to do!” she said as she lifted the VCR out of the back of the truck.
“Alrighty then,” I said, happy that she was not the stuck up snob I had expected her to be. This could turn out well after all.
© Copyright 2013 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911489-Suspense-at-the-country-cottage