*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913041-The-Copper-Kettle
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fanfiction · #1913041
"Think of it as a scavenger hunt, Mr. Spock," Kirk said.
Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock materialized in the center of the market square. It was two hours before planet dawn and the square was almost empty. The only other creatures present was a drunk passed out in the gutter and small yellowish-orange bird pecking scraps on the ground.

"Captain," Spock said, looking more perplexed then normal. "Can you please explain to me again, why we are here?"

"We're looking for a copper kettle."

"I know that, Sir, but why are we looking for one, when we can use the Enterprise create one."

"Think of it as a scavenger hunt, Mr. Spock, " Kirk said.

Raising his eyebrows, Spock followed Kirk to the sidewalk. Stepping around the drunk, they went to the nearest business and rapped on the door. Harcourt Fenton Mudd opened the door, "You're here for the item, I presume."

"Yes, Harry," Kirk scowled. I might have know Harry Mudd was behind this, he thought, I hope Star Fleet Command has a good reason for dealing with this pirate.

"Please, beam the trade items over there," he pointed to the center of the room.

"Scotty," Kirk activated his communications badge, "beam down those bags on my mark." He laid another communicator in the center of the room. Ten minutes later, one hundred one pound bags of salt materialized in the center of the room. Harry opened one of the bags and tasted its contents, then picked up a polished copper tea kettle and handed it to Mr. Spock.

"Could the two of you disappear," said Mudd as someone knocked at the door. "That's my first customer."

"Gladly," Kirk said.

On board the Enterprise, Spock handed the kettle to his mother. "Thank you," she smiled. "You have saved two races from extinction and stopped an intergalactic war."


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913041-The-Copper-Kettle