*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914021-Tiny-Girl
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Reason
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #1914021
Quick drabble about, simply, a tiny girl.
Somewhere along a string of wild flowers is an untouched paradise completely separate from the world in ignorant bliss.



There is no war or hate or anguish, only the soft whisper of the wind and the comforting voices of the birds that flutter past. It is what's outside that slowly creeps in to become one with the dweller inside; the lonely patron that hums a wordless song.



With eyes lidded, she folds the blankets as she leans back and forth to her own rhythm. She was a once-upon-a-time story that never finished. And her story had lost all of its characters. She thought she could remember a comforting face with a smile sweeter than her own, but it had blurred with time and so had any other memories.



Life was a never-changing routine that she never dared to question.



Going outside was an adventure in itself, and she hardly ever dared to go very far. With petals that hung higher than her head and ladybugs that nudged her side with affection, she knew deep within her bones that if she wandered farther she would be forever lost and unshielded from the terrors that hid among the trees.



It was a big, big world that surrounded her but even so, she lived with a smile on her face and a warmth in her heart that never swayed. It was a lonely life, a solitary life, but the songs that the birds would sing gave her comfort, and the ladybugs and butterflies gave her companions.



Tapping at the door caught her attention and she pushed at the marble door that had been there for as long as she remembered. A Bee Hummingbird she calls Lily greets her with a small fluttering of her blue wings before rushing inside. Pulling the door close, she shivered then turned around. She grabbed a few twigs and set them in an iron bowl to set them on fire and warm her house. The chill from outside was prominent after she had opened the door and her body began to shake.



Just a few moments after, Lily was snuggled underneath her softest blanket and she was heating water for a bath. With the fire crackling under her iron bath it took hardly anytime to heat up. She put out the fire before slipping into the warm water and pressing her back into the heated metal.



Lily was the only hummingbird she had ever met, and she was also the most chatty. She would listen to the bird for a while and pretend to hear words telling her of her adventures and all that she's seen.



Climbing out of the bath, she dried and put on the familiar clothes made from cotton and dyed with berries. The familiar blue dress fit her like a glove and she twirled in it to see the ends fly up. She smiled to herself before settling next to Lily and throwing her arms around the birds neck. She hummed her song and drifted to sleep, wishing upon wishes that there was someone else like her.
© Copyright 2013 Reason (dreamstodust at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914021-Tiny-Girl