*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914103-The-Invasion
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1914103
We knew they were coming.
The Invasion

We knew it was coming. It was all over the news. If you couldn’t see the signs you were blind. The sky had a different look to it. You could feel it. Something was coming. Then one day… it did.

It started one night. The sky opened up, and they came in waves. There was an anticipation of where they would hit next, but no one really knew for sure. You could hear them at all hours of the day landing on rooftops and cars. The streets were covered with them. We weren’t sure if they were there to harm us or help us. They would leave for brief moments, giving us much needed relief, but then return out of no where with a vengeance.

The invaders didn’t seem to care too much about humans, and for the most part they left us alone. As people became brave enough to move on with their daily lives, the invaders seemed to ignore us. Every now and then you would hear about a victim somewhere in the city, found in a broken heap on the side of the road. Could have been an invader, but no one knew for sure.

Some people were scared and began to store up nonperishable food in case the invasion got worse. In some places, children were forced to stay home. There were a few times I was made to go home from work to make sure I got in before dark. I didn’t dare go back out when the sun went down. It seemed to be more dangerous then.

Our spirits were low. The invasion hadn’t let up and it seemed like it wasn’t going to end. For weeks, life seemed to stand still, and we began to feel like prisoners that were free to roam, but not free to live.

But one day, as quickly as they came, they left. It seemed as though a blanket had been pulled away. We could see blue skies once again. The sun shone through, and we began to come back to life, no longer feeling the constant presence of the invaders at every turn.

Every now and then we would hear about their presence outside of the city in smaller towns. The same panic, and the same words of caution spread. I guess they never really left. They just moved on. I’m sure they will be back.

And we’ll be ready…

With umbrellas, ice scrappers, salted roads, and school closings.

I hate winter weather.
© Copyright 2013 Candra Kongsaysy (cankong12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914103-The-Invasion