*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914123-Sometimes-the-Beach-revision-2
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1914123
The 2nd revision I am doing for my children's picture book titled Sometimes the Beach
Sometimes the Beach…
 
by Scott C. Johnson


Morning Beach

        Sometimes, the beach… is quiet.  The morning sky brightens slowly from the east.    The air is cool, and smells fresh and salty.  Only the Caw! Caw! of flying birds and the ocean tide can be heard.  Pigeons line the sandy walkways looking for food.  Tiny seashells rest in the cool beach sand.  Soon the sun will rise, bringing light to the leafy palm trees.

Mom gives us oatmeal and apple slices for breakfast.  I put on my cap and get ready to play.


Sunny Beach
 
          Sometimes the beach is sunny!  Soft clouds glide through the bright blue sky.  The ocean sparkles in the sun.  Whoosh!  Light waves splash against the seashore, washing the sand to and fro.  Dry sand is warm and cozy; wet sand squishes between my toes!  Palm trees shade us from the sun, and sometimes a gentle breeze brushes against my face.

Mom helps me put on my swimming gear and sun block so I can play in the ocean...barefoot!


Cloudy Beach
 
          Sometimes, the beach is cloudy.  The taste of salt fills the cool misty air. The bright sun hides in the thick white clouds, and sometimes it peeks out for a while.    Ocean waves crash up against the rocks.  Splash!  Dry sand is cool now, wet sand is cold!  A soft wind rustles the palm tree leaves.  Seagulls glide gracefully through the air.

My shadow is faded and hard to find.  "No swimming this time", says Mom, "We'll walk the pier today." 

I toss breadcrumbs to the seagulls.  They swoop down and gobble them up!

Stormy Beach
 
          Sometimes the beach is stormy! Dark grey clouds cover the sky. The Crack! Crack! Crack! of thunder rumbles in the distance. Palm trees bend in the rushing wind. Sea mist flies through the air.  Raindrops fall from the clouds above and waves crash hard against the shore. All the sand is wet now.

A news man leans in the rushing wind and reports on the weather.  Seaweed washes up on the beach.  Sometimes lightning flashes!

Mom says the storm helps the plants to grow.  It also cleans the air so it is cool and fresh.  I look out the window and watch the rain pour.  We will have to wait until the storm ends to play at the beach again.



Sunset Beach
 
          Sometimes the beach is dreamy.  The dark blue sky is filled with color: orange, pink, red, yellow, and purple.  The sun sinks slowly in the west. Long shadows fall from the leafy palm trees. My shadow is taller than me! 

A few boats sail distant on the ocean.  The tide is coming in.  Everything seems to slow down now, like a dream.

Mom paints the sunset as I run along the seashore.  “Yah!”  I toss a beach ball far into the ocean.  And the waves push it right back to me.  I am playing catch with the sea!

Moonlit Beach

          Sometimes the beach is starry.  The bright white moon hangs high above the ocean.  The air is cool and a crisp breeze comes and goes.  Tiny stars Blink! Blink! like glitter above the dark palm trees.  Moonlight dances on the distant waves.  Bright lights shine from the amphitheater, where a band is playing in concert. 

Mom brings us blankets and hot cocoa to keep us warm.  We snuggle close, and enjoy the tunes of the night.

I love my times at the beach.  I want to stay all the time. But now Mom says we must go home and wave the beach goodbye. 

Sometimes, the palm trees wave back.

© Copyright 2013 scottcjohnson (scottcjohnson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914123-Sometimes-the-Beach-revision-2