*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914194-Name-Day
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1914194
A guardian angel gets promoted...
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: Locket, Box and Branch

Name Day

The car was going too fast; it would never stop in time.

Cindy had no understanding of such things. She laughed as she got up from the yard to chase the ball. It had just rolled between two parked cars and into the street.

Just before she stepped off the curb, a rustling up in a nearby tree caught Cindy’s attention. She only hesitated for a moment, but it was enough. The car sped by and Cindy ran out and retrieved her ball, oblivious to what had just happened.

From her perch on the branch overheard, Cindy’s guardian angel smiled with satisfaction.

The little angel loved her job. She’d been a guardian of little girls for centuries. It was rewarding to watch her wards grow from babies, into teens and then on into adulthood. That’s not to say the job was without its challenges. Not every misstep was meant to be avoided. There were lessons to be learned along the way. Each soul had its mission and the job of every guardian was to see those souls grow into that mission.

Being a guardian was the top job among angels.

There was only one higher honor – an honor that no angel could ever have. Angels couldn’t have names.

A distant tingling summoned the angel before the Council of Elders.

A moment later, she fluttered excitedly among them. Her spirit guide stepped forward and gave her a small golden box. This could only mean one thing.

Inside she found the locket she knew would be there. The little angel opened it to see pictures of Ted and Samantha; her new parents. It was time to move on to the next stage of existence.

“It’s a girl!” Ted announced.

“We’ll call her Jessica,” said Samantha.


Word Count 293
© Copyright 2013 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914194-Name-Day