*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914736-Outmaneuvered
Rated: E · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #1914736
A prologue introducing two characters while setting the scene for a mystery to unfold.
OUTMANEUVERED

Prologue

Susan Richards,originally a country girl, grew up with a deep understanding of local farmers' concerns. Her parents still live on a large sheep-raising farm, in an agricultural town near the township of Binda. New South Wales,

When old enough for high school Susan was sent to a Boarding School in Goulburn. After excelling in her studies,life found her moving on to Sydney where she successfully completed a University Course in Business Management. She emerged a self-reliant, articulate and attractive, young woman.

Pleased by her accomplishments she confidently accepted a position in a large rural city working for Joe Ferguson, a likeable and hard-working business man.

Her job is twofold, firstly as Joe's personal secretary and secondly as the Administrative Officer for Joe's business.

Joe likes her. She is efficient and organized.and she is not hard to look at either. His rugged yet handsome face broke into a grin as he watched the slender, elegant girl go about her tasks with apparent ease. The office is running well and in a short period of time she has gained trust and respect from her work colleagues. In fact, the whole office seems to work like clockwork with Susan at the helm.

On Monday a large transaction will be complete. Contracts are drawn up and ready for signing. He knows that this business deal is so good that it will no doubt increase the already fine reputation of his company.

Susan conscientiously worked many long hours over the past few weeks in readiness for Joe's business deal on Monday. Joe is aware and appreciative of her diligence.

Not knowing how this is about to change, he walked towards Susan, saying "Well that's it Susan, I'm finished for the day. Time to go home. Noticing her rather surprised expression, he continued,  "Oh! have you got much to do? Please don't work too late, all is ready for Monday, isn't it?".

Tossing back her blond hair, looking politely towards him, she replied, "Yes we are set to go on Monday but I still have a few  things to do before I leave for the day. I'll lock up Joe. I won't be long and my car is not far away."Having no idea of what is to occur, Susan happily continued. "I parked in my favourite spot in the car-park this morning. I won't have far to walk".

" I appreciate the extra time you've been putting in recently. Don't make it too late. Everyone will think you have a tough boss. See you on Monday."  With Joe's sincere words ringing in her ears she beamed her pretty smile at him as he departed for the day.

Susan laughed as she registered a quick look of approval, flash over Joe's face as he departed.

Grateful for the peace that engulfed the office after the other workers left for the day,Susan set about finishing up her last few tasks. It always amazed her how much she could achieve when all was quiet. The prepared contracts were together in a folder and she sighed in satisfaction as she picked it up, thinking,Thank goodness everything is ready for Monday. These past few weeks have been so hectic. Glad it's over. Just realizing how tired I am.

Taking the folder into Joe's office, she locked the documents safely into a drawer of Joe's desk. Removing the key, she opened the safe and deposited the key onto a hook. After locking the safe-door she stood for for a few moments, deep in contemplation. That's it!  I'm off. Time to go home Her thoughts raced as she grabbed her bag and headed out of the office. Stopping briefly to check that the office-door was locked she headed off towards the car park.

Much can happen to ruin the deal. Even the best made plans can easily be destroyed in a moment when unforeseen circumstances come into play.



© Copyright 2013 Cherry Mac (cherylbaker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914736-Outmaneuvered