*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916041-Changing
Rated: E · Fiction · Military · #1916041
A veteran reminisces about his times in war and how it has changed his outlook on life
People say its impossible to change. Once you grow up, you never change again. They say that's what high school's for, changing. Well I know for a fact that's not true. I know that certain things can make people change. Things like death. Things like war. I would know because I have changed. I have fought. I have seen what most people will never see in their lives. I am a veteran.



Vietnam is the war I fought in, and let me tell you, it definantly changed me. I remember this one time, I was hiding in the tall grass with my buddy, Josh Stevens. We were silent and on guard. We didn't move, didn't speak, we barley even breathed. But somehow, they found us. Bullets were flying all around us and before Josh could even comprehend what was happening, he was shot. He was hit three times, once in the shoulder, once in the neck, and once in the chest. As I stared down at the blood soaked body that laid at my feet, I couldn't think. At that point, I didn't care weather I lived or died. I bolted to the Jeep that was hidden behind some trees. But by the time I got there to examine him, it was to late. He was gone. This was the one thing that changed my life, changed the way I view the world.



Josh and I grew up in the same town, we went to the same school. Even though he was a couple years older than me, we were still good friends all through out childhood. I was so glad to see he was serving with me, until that day. That day is the day that changed me. For as long as I can remember, I was taught that war was a good thing, as was every kid in that time. I believed it, too, until that day. Now I know the truth. Now I know that war is pointless. Kids now a days don't even know what Vietnam was fought for and honestly, I'm starting to forget myself.



It didn't just change my thoughts, it actually changed my state of mind. I have Vietnam syndrome and every day it makes me less and less sane. I have flash backs all the time, I see myself fighting against the Vietnamese, my enemies. I can't even tell reality from my imagination anymore. No one should have to go through this much pain and confusion. I feel bad for the men and women fighting now, because I know this is what they'll turn out like.



People say its impossible to change. Once you grow up, you'll never change again. Well I know for a fact this isn't true. I am a completely different person.
© Copyright 2013 Beatles1over (beatles1over at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916041-Changing