*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916103-Review-For-MyValentinesDaySurprise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Review · Opinion · #1916103
A Review of "My Valentine's Day Surprise" by dblameck for Round-50 of The WEEKLY QUICKIE
Thank you for entering Round 50 of The Weekly Quickie, I hope you enjoyed the experience and here is my review...


Entry Title: My Valentine's Day Surprise
Author: dblameck
My Gut-Level Reaction: A vividly descriptive narrative loaded with salacious detail!


Review:

This entry was all about the prompt, immersing us immediately into a Valentine's Day excursion that channeled thematic elements we could all embrace. The limo, the white bearskin rug, making love by the fireplace...iconic features as familiar and readily consumed as comfort foods. I read this as if being taken along through a journal or diary entry, enjoying the intimacy of one person's memories of a special time with a special person that might no longer be present. I thought there was a poignancy interlaced with the sensuality and joy giving depth to what might otherwise be seen as cliche. Another thing about this perception is that a diary entry is a period piece so the story does not bear the burden of being current, within a memory what seems outdated by our standards can be accepted as "new" for whatever time it was written. Nostalgia cements the connection between your story and the audience while absence of character names inspires us to fill in the blanks, possibly with names we already have a connection to!

My points of critique would be in some conflicts I saw between present and past tense and errors involving missing words and floating letters. Principally editing glitches, unfortunately they were enough to make the difference between 2nd and 3rd Place. I also could not give you full prompt credit because the story did not actually say the characters were not or could not be together on the actual Valentine's Day, a requirement that constituted half the prompt...





Rating: *Star**Star**Star**Star* ( 4.1 )


3rd Place!


© Copyright 2013 Onyx: a PURPLE MANIAC! (onyxgemini22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916103-Review-For-MyValentinesDaySurprise