*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916128-OutmaneuveredChapter-oneThe-Abduction
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #1916128
A crime is committed and a mystery unfolds in this first chapter.
A dull amber light is the first thing Susan saw as she opened her eyes. A slow, steady glow. Where am I? She wondered looking frantically around the room? Shaking in terror, her eyes registered the slight beam of light while thinking, What now? What's going to happen next?

Can't do much with my hands so tightly bound. Ow! That rope is so tight it's biting into my flesh and this lumpy,old couch is so floppy I am falling right into it. How am I going to be able to move?  Oh! it hurts. My poor wrists, they must be red-raw. How am I going to get up?
                                                                               

She began to wonder, Where is he?  Is he here in the house somewhere? He must be. Carefully turning her head, she bit hard on her lip to keep from crying out. Oh! Oh!,Ow! My poor wrists.

My head is thumping  Susan grimaced.Then seeing a gash on her left upper arm, winced. Looking closer she noticed congealed blood, dried where the gash had bled and run in streams down her arm. { i}Can't do much about that now but at least the bleeding has stopped. What a mess! As if that matters. All I want to do right now is get out of here. These were thoughts, racing around in her troubled mind. I'm so uncomfortable. Oh,! Ow! It hurts to move.

Gingerly,almost straining her eyes she began to peer around the shabby room. From the couch she could see two huge, old-fashioned armchairs, a bookcase containing a few tattered books and what appeared to be an antique coffee table.  That old coach-lamp standing on the table has seen better days. belongs to some bygone era. Such a dull light, but at least it's something. Lights up the room just enough for me to work out the furniture in the room. That threadbare Turkish rug seems to cover most of the floor, but oh! it's hopeless I cant see anything else..

Wonder where that archway leads? Could be the kitchen, I guess.That must be a refrigerator I can see, she thought spying a section of a kitchen appliance gleaming whitely.

I'm worried. Why can't I hear him? He's not in this room but is he in the house? I want to get away but what if he comes in.

"Oh! Oh!" Susan cried. Involuntary sounds escaping her lips as she moved. That hurts but I've got be careful, I don't want him to hear me. I want to have a go at sitting up. It's awkward and painful but I am going to try. Using her hands still bound together tightly behind her back, she began struggling, pushing herself against the back of the settee laboriously, writhing and floundering until at last her feet were touching the floor.  Hauling herself into a sitting position. she moaned.I wish I could scream. That really hurt. Oh! Oh I feel giddy, the room is spinning and my head is aching badly. There must be a lump on the back of my head, bumped when he threw me into the van.I think it must have knocked me out.

While sitting, Susan could see around her more easily. Noticing a clock in the top shelf of the bookcase she looked at the time. 5:15 it read. It's morning. That's good,it will be light soon.

I'm glad the room has stopped spinning.but my head hurts. Still,I suppose I should be pleased because it's stopped pounding. Feeling  anxious, Susan gritted her teeth and gradually stood up. That wasn't so bad, she reflected. Tentatively, taking a few hesitant steps she walked towards the kitchen still looking around her cautiously. Her perpetrator could come in at any moment. It is essential that I don't make a single sound. Oh, I hope he doesn't hear me. He's probably in another room

Reaching the small kitchen Susan briefly glanced at the sink cluttered with used dishes. A grimy looking stove stood in the corner with a kettle on it's back burner. Walking towards the cluttered mess, she stopped to peer out of the window above the sink.Good, a glimmer of daylight. Gradually it began emerging, announcing a brand new morning. While gazing out Susan could see a driveway heading away from the house towards a much larger, modern dwelling. I wonder where I am? she thought.

Not seeing a parked car outside, gave her a glimmer of hope. Don't think he's here. Wonder where he's gone? Should I try to escape? Want to get away. These were the thoughts passing through her mind as she stood near the sink. I'm not taking anything for granted. His van may be parked at the front of the building..I've got to be patient.

Feeling somewhat pleased she realised walking was becoming a little easier .My legs are not as wobbly and I feel steadier. That ache in my head is still there but it's subsiding. Susan's thoughts wandered back to the events since last evening. I wish I could remember what happened after he pushed me into the van. It's hopeless, I can't recall a thing.

Susan allowed herself to think back over the events leading up to last evening.

She remembered being the last person to leave her office, working late in order to have everything in readiness for Monday. It is all so confusing  Perspiration formed on her brow now, her breaths coming in short gasps, when thinking of what occurred.next. Her boss Joe Ferguson, a Land Developer is in the final stage of completing a huge contract. Susan is also involved, working along side her boss on every step of the project and she knows that Joe is on the brink of acquiring land from several farmers..

Joe's a good guy but this has been no easy acquisition. Negotiations are complex. Many land owners are suffering loss of income due to drought and government changes. Most of them know Joe's offer is generous, yet others feel they have no choice but to sell.

Susan racked her brains to consider,I know there's still some lingering resentment but could there anyone she knew who would want to harm me?

At first, some of the townsfolk openly opposed to the proposition, loudly voicing their opinions at the town meetings. It has taken many months of town meetings with the local council, businessmen, representatives from the community and of course, the landowners. Now at last, the land has finally been zoned 'residential'. There is to be a brand new housing estate complete with a shopping mall and a school.

Next Monday the contracts will be signed. The many extra hours worked over the past few weeks have been worth it. The contracts are ready for signing and Susan is feeling pleased because her mammoth task is almost complete. Everything is in readiness for Monday at 11:00 am.

After locking the office door she had hurried towards her white Camry, parked on the far side of the car park, her favourite spot. The car park, a large concrete slab backed many offices and shops.

Holding her keys in her hand she bent to open the door of her car, Abruptly a rough hand reached out grabbing her from behind. Startled, Susan yelled, while struggled trying to break free.."Please! Let go of me! What are you doing? Take your hands off me, Let go of me."

Without warning a hand clamped firmly over her mouth and a wad of cotton rag shoved roughly between her teeth while another piece of grubby cloth tied the gag into place. Feeling like she could not breath, Susan recalled wriggling and struggling, trying to break loose but it was hopeless she could not do a thing, He was too strong and she could not get away.

As her abductor savagely pushed her, she stumbled, almost falling to the ground. She shuddered as she recalled his nasty tone, mumbling between clenched teeth, "You are making me mad. Just shut up. If you know what's good for you, you'll keep your trap shut. That way, no harm will come to you.but if you keep making a racket like you are now, I'll make sure you shut up.".

Still trembling, shocked and scared by the traumatic events she was recalling, Susan continued thinking hard trying to work out who he could be.

The jacket with the hood worn over his head,obscured much of his face, masking his features. The dark made it harder for me to see anything  but I swear I noticed a small dark beard. Who do I know with a beard? Can't think of anyone. Must be a stranger but why pick me?

She remember him grabbing some heavy twine from the pocket of his hooded, black jacket,then deftly tying her hands behind her back. Susan vividly recalled gasping in pain. Susan flinched now thinking of how much it hurt when he tightened the knot. It's still there, cutting into my wrists and it hurts. He brutally shoved her, pushing her unmercifully towards his van parked next to Susan's Camry. Why did he have to be so rough I wonder what he wants with me. I don't want him to hurt me any more. I am feeling sick, I'm so scared.

She remembered seeing  the back door of his van wide open before grabbing her like a sack of potatoes, he literally tossed her into the back.
This was Susan's last memory before waking up in this dingy room.

I'm frightened, she thought while looking out the window. Why would someone want to kidnap me? What is he going to do with me?  I'm glad  he removed that gag, it was choking me. I wonder why he removed it? Oh! Oh! My mouth is so sore from where it was tied.

Want to get out of here but I don't know where I am?  Susan's thoughts engulfed her while attempting to figure out what she should do next.







© Copyright 2013 Cherry Mac (cherylbaker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916128-OutmaneuveredChapter-oneThe-Abduction