*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917678-Mirage
by Aelyah
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1917678
An afternoon walk in the sand.
The afternoon looked promising. A steady breeze dampened the heat of the bright sunshine and Dan had wrapped all projects but one. It still hung in balance; however, he could do nothing before next week, when the chairman of the foundation they courted would be back in town.

He could prove himself a good family man and take Ella for a promenade on the beach. He eschewed the business suit in favor of shorts, polo and sunglasses and placed his hi-res phone and wallet under the pile of sweaters in the closet. He walked to the beach, and he smiled at the thought he'd avoid the usual shopping trips. His phone would also be safe from Ella's prying hands.

The sand felt like heaven under Dan's feet. He noticed his wife sitting on a bench with another woman. Exchanging patterns probably he grinned. He gave them a wide berth; however, apparently not wide enough since he heard Ella's voice.

"Dear, could you lend me your phone?"

He gave his well prepared answer and saw disappointment on her face. His wife recovered, smiled brightly and pointed to a man watching the waves.

"I invited Mary, and her husband to dine with us. She and Mr. Carson just returned from their vacation, and she'd love to discuss some patterns with me."

Dan squinted his eyes in appraisal behind his sunglasses. Carson! 'Twas fate, after trying to reach him all week, he thought.

Ella's surprising friendship with Carson's wife would give him the chance of an introduction and with luck perhaps the opportunity to make his pitch. He might be able to cover the phone blunder with a show of generosity. He leaned close and asked.

"Do you have a credit card on you?"

"Oh dear. I thought you were bringing it!"
© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917678-Mirage