*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917906-The-Promise
by tat
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Friendship · #1917906
From the perspective of a flower during the holocaust.
Dull imprinted in this world, grey grey grey nothing marvelous, at least not anymore. Land destroyed, people destroyed; the world stained red with the crimson of horror. Where was she? Where did she go? I miss her. I waited and waited deep sleep instilled on me. Spring sky’s lulled me awake, the sky regained its blue. The gunshots silenced but still no sign of her. Why did she abandon me? I loved her. I still do love her. I long her to come back to me, to run to me, to sing for me, to speak to me. Just like before, before the noises pierced the sky and embraced the world in flames.

Dark curls bouncing as waves as she ran embracing the joy as she fell. Her laugh cascading through the meadows releasing the love that swirled within her. She was beautiful in her own way. Young, naïve. I knew from the moment her eyes held mine we were meant to be.
Dormant risen from the soil that concealed me, awoken again. Blue took my breath away, so much blue. The world seemed faded dream like. I’d never ever get used to my first day after the long nap, it always seems so magical breathtaking. Miles of faded dark carpet flowing across the land. Rushing of the wild singing their wild song as someone neared. Mesmerizing days pass nights pass all so different from the next. Bright rays shining, darkness, bright lights, water dancing as we rejoiced its touch. I loved the world, I Loved life and then I met her and she made it even better.


“Gänseblümchen.”Sang from her pale lips. Daisy. “blume.” Flower. She spoke as if the world was listening as if no one was listening. She spoke with pride confidence happiness. She recognized me as I was, she sang to me as I was like her. Rhythm kept her flowing through the air hypnotizing me. It was all I could do not to watch her; she was so fresh, different. She visited me. She never missed a day, now she has missed years.

She came one day sadness squeezing the sweet embrace of her happiness. She said she didn’t understand why they were doing this to her, what she did to deserve this, what her family did. I nodded unsure confused, the wind blowing me into a gentle nod. I Loved this girl, I would of done anything for this girl. But she left me.

Soon every day became every second day; soon I was lucky if I saw her once a week. The seconds ticked on with every Rhythm of the wilds song wasted. waiting. waiting. waiting. Then I saw her


A tiny tear trickling along her radiating skin her eyes puffy with sadness. This was not the girl I grew to love. her spark her glow it was gone. What was happening? A star lay pinned to her clothes labeling her. Jude it said. But I never understood what that meant. Was it the star that sent her away. Did she grow tired of our games. Did she think the war incinerated me. I wish she had come back.



The days labored on painfully each day ached for the embrace of her smile, her joy. She was the only thing that could of melted my sadness. I saw her less regularly then. each time her glow faded more and more she was being captured in the darkness. All I wanted was to grow tall and big so I could shelter her and hide her from the sky’s crying with war. Grow into a beanstalk and let her climb to the clouds let her be happy again dance again. Speak with the voice of complete bliss. It killed me to see her like that. It kills me to not see her at all.


Her happiness used to capture me, make me love what I was. I brought a smile to her face as she brought a smile to mine. She made my happiness grow. her joy was her beauty. She was everything that was right in the world she made me feel peace. She had such a glow about her. Her gloom killed me I never understood I still don’t. What was this war doing to her, were the other flowers whispers true?


Then that day came the last I saw of her. The day I’ll never forget. The fear plastered onto her face. The power they had over everything they came near. Even the wilds didn’t sing for them The wilds never sang again, not after this day. she sang to me “Gänseblümchen.” she spoke “ I may have to leave for a while. The wind wildly shook my head in understanding. “war war war.” The birds squawked a single drop of rain thundered from the cloudless sky. I needed her with me. “but I’ll be back.” she promised and then it happened. Silence. Stern faces uniforms. their hands on her shoulders pulling her, dragging her away. “I promise.” echoed through the sky. she screamed and more rain fell. She’ll be back, she promised. She said a while. patience.


Everyday after that was a death sentence. All I could think was she promised, she promised. She’ll be okay she has to be. She’ll be here and everyday she wasn’t I let the tears wrap me in solitude until one day they didn’t fall.
It’s been years as I wait slowly starting to wilt. Next spring she’ll be there, I just wasn’t sure If I would be. I’m sure she’s coming back for me. Men started coming pushing stones into the dirt. I watched hoping she would arise beside them. Hoping to see her lovely face her joy. Then I will wrap around her let her know the war is over that she’s safe. That we can be together now.
But still she didn’t come my sight was starting to fail me and my body didn’t fall straight like it used to it toppled over itself. Melting into the quiet dirt.
Once a girl came dark curls bouncing as waves as she ran embracing joy Her laugh cascading through the meadows releasing the love she was full of.I opened my mouth to sat her name but before my smile could move. she was gone and it started to rain. I closed my eyes.
Surely she didn’t abandon she must of just forgotten. She has to be out there. But why didn’t she come back for me. She promised

She promised was all I could think of as my eyes closed and the only thing I remembered, was the crashing screams and the firing rays of gunshots.


© Copyright 2013 tat (waxdolls at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917906-The-Promise