*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918317-Outmaneuvered-Chapter-two-Motives
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #1918317
Susan is is confused. Up till now she does not know the identity of her kidnapper.
Susan stood looking out of the kitchen window. With daybreak dawning, she realized that soon it would be light enough for her to distinguish her surroundings. How painful and irritating it is, with my hands bound together behind my back.

It is all so damned confusing. I feel perplexed. Why me? Why abduct.me? she reflected. I'm angry too, furious when I think about what's happening to me. Poor Darren, what must he be thinking. Where's my handbag and my cell phone, too? I want to ring Darren but damn, I couldn't do it anyway,could I? Not with my hands still tied behind my back."

Yesterday, Susan and Darren  planned an evening together. Earlier in the day she spoke to him saying, "Darren, I will be working late tonight. Everything has to be perfect for Monday. I can't take a chance on leaving anything till the last moment. It's all got to be finished before I leave, today."

Darren, her handsome, lovable boyfriend answered in his carefree way, "Sure, I understand Susan, but I'll be glad when this job is over. You really have been overdoing it lately".

Susan answered, "Yes, I suppose so, but it is such an important project. Joe's business has so much riding on the results of next Monday's exchange of contracts".

"Yes, well he is lucky to have you. I don't know too many secretaries who are as dedicated as you," was Darren's reply. "It'll be fine, Susan, we don't need to go out tonight. I know you're going to be.tired.  I'll cook us a lovely meal instead. Anything you fancy for dinner"?

"Darren, thank you, I will leave that decision for you. Surprise me, you know how much I love your cooking". Susan smiled to herself now, as she recollected their conversation. Darren fancied himself as quite a chef so it was sure to have been a great meal. Her smile quickly vanished at the thought of what he must be thinking.

Shrugging, pushing all those thoughts aside, she thought, I need to figure out a way to get out of here.

Right now though Susan needed to use the bathroom. Turning around she looked beyond the kitchen gazing further into the house.The tinge of morning light showed a hallway. Quietly she walked gingerly along the passage where she discovered the bathroom. Thank goodness, the door is open, Wouldn't be able turn a doorknob with my hands tied behind my back. It is all so frustrating, Wish I could get my hands free. Entering quietly she used her shoulder to push the door gently till it was almost closed. If I close that door I will not be able to get out, was her frantic thought..

Managing to use the toilet proved arduous. Susan was pleased because she'd worn slacks with an elasticized waistband. Adjusting her clothes before and after using the toilet was time consuming and awkward.. Managing to flush the toilet really tested her tenacity. Backing right over the toilet bowl, bending to reach with her firmly bound hands she pulled a lever at the back, near the cistern. Almost impossible but I managed it. Just as well it was positioned that way.  Any higher and I would not have been able to do it.

What I wouldn't give to be able to wash my face and hands but that's not possible. Oh well! There is nothing I can do about it.

My tied-up hands are preventing me from doing anything much. Everything I do is so slow when I want to be moving fast. He could come back at any time. I have got to be as quick as I can. Gradually, with much turning and maneuvering Susan pulled open the bathroom door and began walking back towards the kitchen. She stopped, startled. Out of nowhere, with the screech of breaks and the loud slamming of car doors, he was back. Her abductor opened the back door with a key, and he and a scruffy companion burst into the house.

"Hey! What are you doing up," he bellowed at her. Grabbing her roughly by the arm he pulled her ruthlessly across the room, throwing her mercilessly, like a rag onto the lumpy divan.

Susan whimpered in pain, an inarticulate sound caused by his violent treatment of her. Gaining her composer, almost defiantly she looked at him afresh. I recognize him, she thought. The scoundrel. He is Bobby Brack. Bobby Brack, a money lender with a dubious reputation who has disrupted every preliminary town meeting.  Meetings that have been necessary before Joe Ferguson, her boss could purchase property from the landowners. Bobby wanted to purchase the land himself. For a long time things looked like they were going his way but recently people have been seeing right through his intimidating tactics. Even so, every negotiation has been delayed because of Bobby's disruptions. .

Several landowners owed him money and he has been trying to convince them that he will be doing them a favour by purchasing their land therefore absolving them of the debts they owe. The issue with Bobby Brack is that he has been offering a mere pittance for their properties. He always appears to get much pleasure out of causing disharmony. When others dispute his ideas he sets about creating problems. He is nothing but a trouble maker. No one trusts him now. The whole deal has taken much longer than it normally would, because of Bobby who has been doing his best to discredit anyone involved with trying to promote the land sale.

Joe Ferguson had the ability to see right through Bobby's ploy.and has worked with the authorities to make some excellent offers for the land. On the whole, the majority of sellers are pleased by the deal, accepting it as progress for the town but there are still some who are upset and regretful at losing their homes. However they are glad to be getting value for their properties but it has taken a great effort for Joe Ferguson to gain the trust of the landowners after their experiences with Bobby Brack.

Bobby sat on the arm of one of the over-sized armchairs and his younger companion on the second chair. Leaning around closer to Susan while nodding towards the young man he said,"This is Tommy. This is his place." Moving nearer to her and pointing his finger threateningly at her, he said, "You'll be staying here until we work things out, do you hear? There is no way I will allow this contract to go through. I'd sooner kill you first. Now, you do as you're told, right".

Susan nodded nervously in agreement.       

"Tommy's brought you something to eat." Bobby gestured at a pizza box Tommy plonked on the table.

Susan shuddered. She could not think of anything worse for breakfast, although she had to admit to feeling hungry.

Bobby observed her grimace. He glowered at her, "What! Is that not good enough for you?"

"No! No, that will be fine,"stammered Susan. "Please, just tell me, what is this all about?"

"The less you know, the better," Bobby snarled, "but your boss will not be signing any contracts next week."

Bobby stood up abruptly. He pulled a gun from under his jacket and thrust it into Tommy's unexpected hand. "I'm going now. I've got to set some wheels in motion." Nodding towards Tommy he snapped," If she gives you any trouble, use it."

Tommy asked, "How're you goin' to stop this business transaction?"

Bobby leered at both of them. "You just leave those details to me. We'll see how much Mr Joseph Ferguson cares about his snooty little secretary. Right now I'm going to his plush office to see if I can't locate some papers all ready for signing." he spluttered. He stood as he turned and without another word strode from the room, striding right out through the back door.

Tommy and Susan  listened to the deep rumble of his engine and the screech of tyres as he drove hastily away.

                                                                                                                                             
© Copyright 2013 Cherry Mac (cherylbaker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918317-Outmaneuvered-Chapter-two-Motives