*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918581-Whats-my-name
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Family · #1918581
To remember or not to remember that is the question
"What's my name," I ask as I entered the kitchen.

My mother gave me her, It's Sunday morning, time to get ready for church, so let's not have any of your foolish games look. She sighed and then smiled mischievously and said, "Puddin' tame, ask me again and I'll tell you the same. Alicia, I'm not going to go along with any more of your foolishness. Please, sit down at the table so we can eat."

I looked around and since there was no one else in the room, I knew she must be talking to me. She called me, What did she call me, I thought sitting down at the table. Was my name Puddin tame? No, she had called me by another name. What was the other name she called me?

"Mother," I watched as she poured us both coffee and then placed a plate of hotcakes in front of me. "I'm serous! I can't remember my name. What did you just say my name was?"

Mom placed a plate of ham and eggs by her coffee, then she left the kitchen. Her footsteps echoed ominously on the stone floor. I heard the hall closet door open and close, a few minutes later she returned to the kitchen and handed me my purse.

"Check your driver's license, Alicia," she sat down at the table and began eating.

I removed my wallet and took out my driver's license. There was my picture with the name Alicia Beatrice Morgan-Hawthorne at the bottom of the license. I frowned, shook my head, and then took a bite of the hotcakes.

"What's the matter," she glared at me.

"It's just that the name..." I glanced down at the license. "Alicia doesn't seem right. I don't feel like an Alicia."

"All right," she smiled weakly. "Would you rather I called you Beatrice or Bea?"

"No," I frowned, "I don't feel like a Beatrice or a Bea either."

"What name would you like me to call you?"

"By my name, of course," I glanced at the license again. "Are you sure my name is Alicia Beatrice?"

"Yes, dear," by this time she was becoming very irritated. "Your father and I named you together. You're named after your great grandmother Alicia and you great aunt Beatrice." She took a sip of coffee, "Now finish you breakfast so that we can get ready for church. I promised Reverend Clayton we'd be there an hour early. He wants us to be the first to meet his new son-in-law."

"I don't think I'm hungry," I gulped down my coffee, picked up my purse, and got up from the table.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get ready for church," I said as I put my license back in my purse.

"Alicia," she moved quickly to block the kitchen door. "What is wrong with you?"

"I can't remember my name, Mother?" I started to cry.

"Your name is Alicia Beatrice Morgan-Hawthorne!" She frowned, "I can understand you wanting to forget the Hawthorne. When the divorce is final, have the judge change you name back to Alicia Beatrice Morgan."

"Mother," I stopped crying. "I can't remember any of my name!"

"Shit," she looked at her watch. "We don't have time to go to the Emergency Room."

"Mother, I don't want to go to the ER. I just want to know why this has happened to me and what to about it?"

"It's going to be all right, Alicia," she hugged me. "Let's go to church and then after church we'll deal with this. In the mean time, you try to memorize your first name."

"All right," I went to my bedroom and got dressed.

When went out to get in the car, Mom was there waiting for me. "You know, Alicia," she said as I slid into the driver's seat. "You've been acting odd ever since you started divorce proceedings. Are you sure you want to divorce Andrew Hawthorne?"

"Mama," I sighed. "I never want to see that lying cheat again!"



© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow Valentine (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918581-Whats-my-name