*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918792-From-Writer-to-Author
by ahholt
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Writing · #1918792
How to revise, polish and prepare your manuscript for presentation to editor or publisher


From Writer to Author begins with an expanded outline reviewing the building blocks of a story, fiction or non-fiction. Following this outline are sections discussing common problem words, punctuation, errors and omissions in story structure, character development and plotting. As an added bonus, the last sections offer some rules on writing a query letter and “pitching” your story to an agent or editor. After all, the ultimate purpose of all this work in polishing your manuscript is to reach your readers. Query and pitch are two of the primary tools you will use to find an agent or publisher.
No matter how hard writers try to produce a “clean” manuscript, most of us discover to our chagrin, that our finished manuscripts reveal at least a few errors. No matter how carefully we revise or how many times we proof read our work it seems impossible to eliminate every mistake, every omission or typographical error. Many writing books will tell you to hire an editor to prepare your manuscript for publication, but editors are expensive and they often have their own ideas about punctuation and syntax. A writer who plans to become a published author must learn to recognize errors and polish a manuscript.
It will help any writer, novice or professional, to study the tips offered in this book when they are ready to begin a writing project. Many errors and omissions noted are elementary, but reading and re-reading them will serve as helpful reminders. It is a good idea to refer back to the rules as many times as needed during the writing process and then carefully study them a final time before beginning the process of revising and rewriting.
Every writer develops at least one quirk, a repeated word or phrase that constantly appears in their work. I have one you may discover as you read this work and you will have one. Repeatedly studying the basics will help you pinpoint yours and learn to avoid it often enough to prevent its becoming annoying to a reader.
It makes no real difference if a writer is a beginner or a seasoned professional. Your work may be long or short, but errors and omissions creep in, and it is easy for you or for any writer to become “caught up in the story” when revising your own work. When you do, you will read over errors.
When a writer submits work for publication, the editor or agent who reads each submission will watch for the exact problems outlined in this book. Each editor or agent develops a list of specific errors and omissions he or she particularly notices or dislikes. I know a few who actually work with checklists, noting each instance of a perceived error https://www.amazon.com/author/ahholt
© Copyright 2013 ahholt (ahholt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918792-From-Writer-to-Author