*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1919270-Stage-Fright
by OOT™
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Teen · #1919270
How will Ben get over his stage fright?
Photo for a story.


After years of missed opportunities, Ben had finally mustered the courage to audition for "Teen Idol". The cast of the show came to his town annually, but his shyness and stage fright prevented him from trying out earlier. Instead, he'd watch the shows from the comfort and security of his bedroom and mentally kick himself because he sounded so much better than the singers in the competition. This year would be different, though. He was certain he'd be the new Teen Idol a year from now. At seventeen, he wouldn't be a teenage much longer, so it was now or never.

The day of the tryouts came, and Ben became progressively more nervous as the day went on. He was stuck in a large room with hundreds of other prospects, and the noise and closeness of the crowd were causing him to have second thoughts. By the time it was his turn to go in front of the judges, he was a bundle of nerves. With his pounding heart and sweaty palms, he hesitantly walked in the room. Please just grant me one wish. Let me... Before he could finish his silent wish to do well, one of the judges spoke to him.

"Why do you think you're the next Teen Idol?" The only male judge was rather rude sounding. Ben was instantly intimidated.

"Because I'm a really good singer," he squeaked.

"Really good isn't going to cut it. We're looking for the best."

Ben turned his attention to the two female judges, but they appeared smitten with the male judge. His confidence plummeted.

"What are you going to sing for us?" Ben had always had a slight crush on the older female judge, but from this distance, she looked like she had led a rough life. The lines on her face couldn't be airbrushed away, and too many years of partying had taken their toll.

"Ummm..." Ben couldn't remember the name of the song! He stood there stammering.

"Get on with it!" The male judge was getting impatient.

Ben couldn't even find his voice as the judges stared at him. I wish I would just disappear, he thought. Suddenly, his entire body started to tingle. Fearful that he was going to pass out, he turned to the judges for help. They, however, were sitting there aghast.

"Where did he go?" the male judge turned to the females, but neither could offer an explanation. They sat there a moment longer, mouths open, not knowing what to say. Finally, the male judge collected himself enough to get on with things and yelled, "Next." Ben stood there sobbing as the next prospect came in and walked right through him on her way to the microphone.
© Copyright 2013 OOT™ (outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1919270-Stage-Fright