*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921012-Weekend-Getaway
by OOT™
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1921012
Will Joan and Steve work out their differences?
Photo for a story.


Joan's boyfriend, Steve, was taking her on a picnic! They hadn't been getting along well lately, and Joan decided this would be the perfect opportunity to reignite their spark. She waited for the weekend with giddy anticipation. Her days at work seemed to drag by, and she was too excited to sleep well on most nights. She knew their little weekend getaway was going to be phenomenal.

Saturday finally arrived, and the weather was perfect. Even the birds seemed to be singing a sweeter song as Joan and Steve spread out their blanket in the local park. Steve was not one for romantic ideas, so Joan was even more pleased when he pulled a bottle of wine from his picnic basket. The couple ate the chicken Steve had picked up from the local deli and, after a toast, enjoyed the wine. They ate in silence, but Joan decided that it was a comfortable silence. She smiled longingly as she imagined a future with Steve. He looked over at her.

"I'm glad you're in a good mood. There's something I want to talk to you about." His expression was serious.

"Of course," Joan replied as she returned some of the items to the picnic basket.

"This just isn't working anymore. I know you see it, too..." He continued, but Joan stopped listening. She was losing him! Unable to control her emotions, she burst into tears.

Steve continued. "...and I know you'll find someone else and get over me before you know it!"

The nerve of him, acting as though the last six months meant nothing! Joan's despair quickly turned to rage.

"I'll find someone else?!?" she screamed, paying no attention to the people nearby who had stopped what they were doing to enjoy the show. She jumped to her feet. "It isn't like some new guy is just going to fall from the sky and sweep me off my feet. I can't..." Joan was interrupted by someone yelling.

"Look out below!" Before the couple could react, a man in a parachute landed right in the middle of the picnic blanket. He looked up at Joan and smiled a shy smile. He was the most gorgeous man she had ever seen!

"You could be right after all," Joan addressed Steve before turning her attention back to the handsome stranger.
© Copyright 2013 OOT™ (outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921012-Weekend-Getaway