*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921841-Learning-from-Birthdays
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #1921841
Time flies when you're learning your trade.
I can hardly believe that eleven years have passed since I signed up as a member of the then very new site called Writing.com. In the decade plus that has passed, the site has grown incredibly, adding amenities that make writing more friendly, and giving access to people and ideas of a unique fashion. The site has many more people than when I signed up, and each an every one is an attribute to what writers need to cope and produce.

I began here, confident of my ability to write. I majored in English and History at The University of Texas. I had taught many levels of English in public schools, and I even went back and became certified to teach English as a Second Language. My twelve years of teaching English taught me things one doesn't learn in a book. My reading, writing, and reviewing of my peers creations has added to my skills, confidence and experience.

I'm ready to do it now--publication! I have arranged with Author House to self-publish my first book. I've been working, sometimes at a vigorous pace, sometimes at a snail's pace, and my manuscript is basically finished. It's been sitting and simmering for a couple of months. My ears are always open about writing, as well as what people are reading. I caught part of a "Nightline" episode recently, and realized that my book will be more marketable if I "up" the sensuality and sex in my essays. I need to force myself beyond my comfort level for my readers, as it is they who will be doing the reading, and I want to write what will keep them reading my work.

I'm having trouble deciding on the order of my chapters, and where to insert my poetry. I'm calling my book Bipolar Daydreams and it consists of essays about my bipolar experiences, as well as lots of poetry that examines the feelings associated with meandering and often spontaneous mood eruptions. I've read lots of what's on the market in my particular genre, and my book will be different from anything that's out in the published world now.

My friends, peers, associates, and critics have helped me in dragging myself over the proverbial coals. Some reviews make me wonder if what I'm trying to do is worth it--for me and for my potential readers. But mostly, I receive encouragement, and messages from other writers who wish they were as far along in the process as I am. Writing is a process, and editing is a necessary chore.

I'm still kind of piddling along in editing, and formatting the final result to send in for publication. I've learned from the experience of others about self-publication, and more importantly what is necessary for marketing and sales. I've heard tales of good and bad experiences, and have an idea of some publication companies I would rather work with, and others I want to stay away from. In the 90s, when I received my bipolar diagnosis, I thought I would never be able to accomplish what I had dreamed on. In the meantime, I have met other bipolar writers here, and we all strive to improve our position, no matter what roadblocks we face.

In the beginning, I fell for the Poetry.com "opportunities, and pricing demons, and paid for the experience and faux thrill of vanity publishing. It was, however, a place to start. I learned what I needed to know, and I have documented my experiences, both good and bad along the way.

Of course most all writers want to write a book, but there are other options for writers. I gained a lot of confidence writing web content, and actually getting paid, just a little for my efforts. I've found sites for freelancer jobs, and completed a few contracts. At one stage I was writing for academic sites, or rather sites that have you write papers that students need. Those clients were American, from the Philippines, and all over the world. I found out that publishers in India are very friendly to the idea of publishing works of American writers. My "before book," called Harvests of the New Millennium" put my poetry before a world wide audience. "Theatre of the Mind" contains one of my poems, and I don't know how that UK publisher found me. If you write enough, and throw it out to the public, you can receive miraculous opportunities.

In the past few days, I found out that three different publishing companies are following me on Twitter. To be honest, I haven't delved into the opportunities that may await me there.

I would not have found the confidence to keep forging ahead without the support of my peers at writing.com. I admit, I'm kind of a come and go member, but I can always find someone to talk to about writing in general, and my writing problems specifically. And due to the great organization, and the site's willingness to have members involved in what members need, I have conducted a couple of fiction workshops. I had fewer than 20 in each of the groups, but I was thrilled to know that what I had to say was writer's meat for a student in the UK, a writer doing missionary type work in the area of Cambodia, and a young man with lots of talent in India.

I value Writing.com beyond and above all other resources. I subscribe to a few writing magazines, and I have a constantly expanding personal library of writing books, published by those who have gone beyond my personal experience.

I'm at that last cliff, to jump off of, to be a published writer. My own fear is holding me back. But, I KNOW I can do it. My manuscript just needs to simmer a bit longer, and my devotion to the cause needs a period of hard personal and emotional devotion.

I would still be scribbling poems on notebook paper, and stashing them in secret places, were it now for the advantages of being a member of writing.com. I wish those members, who have not been here eleven years--yet--to keep writing, and get involved in all the activities and contests that interest you. We often learn more from our mistakes, than from our beautiful prosaic creations. Nevertheless, beautiful creations deserve personal rewards. You know how to best reward yourself if you think about it. You may need a book, a workbook, or an eavesdropping session at a local diner. Look for things that interest you to write about, and inspire you to actually do it—even if it’s scribbled on a napkin. Write what you know, and can learn more about by reading and writing about your general subject--or reading a style entirely different to your own.

As Writing.com wishes me a happy 11th birthday, I want to spread my cheer and confidence with my peer members. There is no better place for an aspiring writer than Writing.com. Thank you all for being there for me--and others. I love you all, in a professional manner, of course.


And Many happy returns to all!
© Copyright 2013 a Sunflower in Texas (patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1921841-Learning-from-Birthdays