*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923607-My-Hook
by Karl
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1923607
A Hook written for the Light of Berylon
         For two hundred miles across the Sune River valley the signal towers burned, all the way from Ridell to the frozen escarpment of the Chow – Li Mountains, where an unending horde comes forth from the depths beneath the snow covered sentinels.  Along the length of that line men sprang into action, preparing for war.  There was only one reason that the signal towers would be lit; it was their sole purpose.  Word spread away from the river like wildfire, galvanizing purpose within souls raised on a generation of stories of the last invasion of the dark hordes.  It was understood that the children of the darkness would always covet the light, for that is what truly lay at the heart of the matter.  In farmsteads across the vale, every third son was honor due to protect the realm, and young men arose to confront the approaching storm.  They gathered together in bands of five and ten and twenty, attempting to arm and armor themselves while there was still time.  Many brought old swords and bits of mail that had been passed down from their fathers who had returned from the last goblin war full of tales of horror to curdle the blood.
         In the city of Avidon, the mercenaries of the trader’s guild bore the look of grim resolve.  War was their part and parcel, and peace was no friend of the mercenary.  They oiled their leathers and cleaned their chain mail; sharpened their blades and filled their quivers.  Every tavern and brothel in the city was filled to overflowing in anticipation of battle.  In the city of Turond, the garrison doubled the usual training regimen, its drill sergeant swearing up and down that he was gonna court martial the first one of his boys that got turned into dinner for some damned goblins.  In the village of Belfar they knew nothing of the signal watch flames.  They were too busy trying to weather the illness that swept through the village, leaving its residents covered with pus filled lesions before heading north beneath the dense canopy of the valley below.
         For Belfar, Eno and Dylan are the only hope.  They are sent north to try to find a cure to save their family and friends, but wind up embarking on an adventure that neither of them were prepared for.  Meanwhile, the agents of darkness are moving into position to strike the kingdom one devastating blow after another, drawing attention away from the real danger that is mounting far to the south
         The debut novel of the Berylon Trilogy; The Light of Berylon tells a story of intrigue and deception as two boys rush to save their home, and a king must struggle to save his nation against the approaching darkness.  Both are beset by the forces of chaos as the nation prepares to face the fourth, and hopefully final, goblin war.  Magic and prophesy meet dire destiny in a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat and an ending that will leave you wanting more.
© Copyright 2013 Karl (kweaver1974 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1923607-My-Hook