*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925165-One-Who-Knows
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by NYPen
Rated: E · Chapter · Crime/Gangster · #1925165
3rd chapter of my novel.
        I walked into the bathroom not knowing what was going to become of today until

        I saw the shaving cream note on the mirror.  The note said I love you and good luck with IAB which made me think of where my future was heading.  I knew that Internal Affairs was one of the issues I was going to have to deal with today, but maybe they would have another case that was more important than my alleged leaked information.  I leaned forward looking into the mirror smiling knowing Loretta tried to encourage me with the note.  I got dressed and made my way down to the kitchen finding Loretta and Rena eating breakfast. 

         Loretta looked up from a forkful of eggs.  “Did you like my message?” 

         I grabbed a plate scooping some eggs out of the pan.  “I appreciated the message.”

         Rena shoved a bagel bite into her mouth.  “Dad, if you go up the road to the big house make sure you leave me a years allowance.” 

         I walked over to Loretta putting my arms around her and looking back at Rena.  “I’m taking the money with me.” 

         Loretta laid her head back on my shoulder.  “I don’t think so.” 

         Rena gathered her plate putting it into the sink and hugged me and Loretta. 

         I turned away from Loretta and hugged Rena handing her a dollar. 

         Loretta started washing dishes.  “I love you honey and I will think of you at your interview.” 

         Blowing her a kiss I collected my stuff and walked out the door gathering my thoughts. 





         The ride to the precinct was a long one not making my headache any better.  I pulled into my spot, turned off the car and sat for a few minutes.  I’m not religious as  heard people say, but I put my head on the steering wheel and said a short prayer.  I don’t know if the prayer reached because I don’t pray much, but getting out of the car I felt a little better. 

         I stepped into the area where my desk was and saw Gabe busy at his desk. 

         Gabe looked up and saluted me.  “You’re a little slow today, but I’m getting a jump on our investigation.” 

         I clapped Gabe on the back.  “Don’t mess with me, I’ve got a lot on my plate today.” 

         Gabe stood up and put up his hands in a surrender position.  “Oh, yeah, you’ve got IAB waiting for you.” 

         I poked Gabe in the side.  “Put your hands down because I don’t need any more attention.” 

         Gabe put his hands down and grabbed his side.  “I understand and it looks like one of the IAB guys is making his way over to us.”

         I turned away from Gabe and looked at the suit coming towards me.  “Here we go.”

         The suit was tall, domineering and even taller with the short flat top, but that didn’t bother me.  I tightened my belt, straightened my tie and held out my hand waiting for the suit to extend his hand.  I looked at him and crunched my brow trying to get an idea of where he was coming from. 

         The suit finally acknowledged my hand and shook it.  “I’m Donald Tranting, IAB and you need to follow me.”

         I looked at Donald.  “Let’s get this done.” 

         Donald didn’t respond and turned away from me.

         I chuckled and looked at Gabe trying to make light of the situation. 

         Donald turned, rigidity etching his face.  “What do you find so funny?  I don’t think there is a lot to be joking about.  My partner and I could be dealing with other things, but we have to deal with your sorry behind.”

         I shook my head at Donald’s attitude.  “I’m just trying to break the tension and have a positive outlook and my sorry behind has nothing to do with your job.” 

         Donald didn’t find Chris’s comments anything to write home about.  “Get your butt in that room and take a seat.”

         I entered and walked around the table pulling a chair out.  The chairs scraping noise didn’t bother the other IAB guy sitting at the table already.  He looked at me with cold blue eyes, no smile.

         Donald walked around the table behind Chris trying to unsettle him by stopping beside him, bending down and staring at him.

         I leaned back in my chair and placed my hands behind my head.  “I wish you’d stop trying to intimidate me with your games and ask the questions.” 

         Donald raised up and looked at the guy across from me.  “Louis, could you go get us some coffee?” 

         Louis found out how I liked my coffee and stepped out of the room. 

         I released my hands away from the back of my head and grabbed the table.  I moved my chair back and forth trying to make the scraping sound which I knew would get on Donald’s nerves.  I wasn’t really in the mood for Donald’s attitude and was hoping I could get him to relax. 

         Louis returned with three coffees, handed one to Donald and slid one to me. 

         Donald sat down across from me staring, drumming his fingers on the table.  “I have here in front of me files in reference to the Midnight killer which you investigated ten years ago.  Do you remember?”

         I twisted my wedding ring on my finger.  “Yeah, that was about Roger Shambley, who entered women’s homes at midnight, raping them and hanging them.  I will never forget the last victim, Kristen Insley, a tech analyst, who had her fingers and toes chopped off.  During the investigation I found the body parts under his pillow which Roger said sexually aroused him.”

© Copyright 2013 NYPen (nypen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925165-One-Who-Knows