*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925423-The-Reasons-Why-I-love-You
Rated: 13+ · Letter/Memo · Romance/Love · #1925423
This letter was written to my boyfriend, Matt, as a birthday present.
2-27-13

Matt,

         It’s human nature to be curious, to wonder, to ask questions. Everyone does it. With you, it’s usually the same question. “Why do I like you?” We've both thought about it. How can I possibly be attracted to such crazy guy? What do I see in him? Isn't there someone out there who suits me better? Sure we talked about it, but I never truly sat down and answered it. We just asked the question without finding the answer. I figured I owed you at least that, to tell you why I’m so in love with you.

         You have so many amazing qualities, but the one that comes first is your sense of humor. I cannot stress to you how important it is to me for a guy to be funny. And you are hilarious. I will admit that sometimes the line between funny and dirty gets crossed, but even then I can appreciate your jokes. I love that you can make me laugh and make me happy. There are only a few people who have changed my life just by making me giggle, and you’re one of them.

         If there’s anything I admire in anyone it’s intelligence. A guy can only go so far with good looks and humor before he runs out of options. But you won’t have to worry about that, because you have a whole realm of opportunities right between your ears. You are so incredibly smart, and I love that about you. 

         It’s not a big thing, but it has to be mentioned. If there’s anything wrong with me it’s my chronic indecisiveness. I can’t make choices to save my life. So it only makes sense that I would need a guy who knows how to  make a decision. You are that guy. You may not have noticed, or maybe I’m wrong, but you are perfectly decisive, and that is one thing I love about you.

         Just in case you haven’t noticed it yet, let me tell you that I am an awful person. I hate people, and I have no problem speaking about it openly. A lot of guys don’t like that in a girl. For some reason, most guys like girls that are sweet and innocent. When I first met you, I thought you would be one of those guys. I guess I was wrong, because you've never had a problem with me being a horrible person. Maybe you just don’t see it, or maybe you just don’t care. Either way, I love that I can say pretty much whatever I want around you without you being shocked by how evil it is.

         

You may spend a lot of time doing nothing, or doing things that are ultimately just a waste of time(playing Star Wars), but you also spend a lot of time on things that matter. You are so ambitious, and I think that that’s one of the most important qualities a person can have. You have a lot of goals set for yourself, and you are the type of person who will actually try to reach them. I love that you have a plan for your life, and won’t just sit around being lazy forever.

         Some people call it hyperactive, but I call it energized. And you are the epitome of energized. I have never, ever seen you sit still for more than a few minutes. Most people find it annoying, but I find it amazing. I guess that living in the same house as a guy who sleeps most of the time just makes me want a boyfriend who likes to be hyper. Sure it’s not the best thing about you when we’re watching a movie and you won’t be quiet, but it’s still one of the things I love about you.

         I know that if I ever have any problems in life, I have a lot of people I could go to for help, but you would be my first choice. You are a great listener and so very comforting. I can always count on you to be there for me if I need you. Any time I have a problem, I immediately wish you were with me, because I know you could make me feel better. I am so thankful to have a boyfriend who is as devoted to my happiness as you are, and I love that about you.

         There is nothing I love more than an adventure. Be it planned or spontaneous, I really enjoy going to new places and seeing and doing new things. If only there was someone who would love nothing more than to accompany me on an adventure… Oh wait, there is someone…you! You are so open to new things, and willing to try anything. If I ever wanted to go on a random trip, you would be my first-choice travelling companion. You’re the perfect person to take on an unplanned excursion, if that’s what I suddenly wanted to do, and I love that about you.

         Yes, I know I’m beautiful… you've told me 1000 times. Yes, I know I have a nice butt… you've told me 1000 times. Yes, I know I’m the greatest girlfriend in the world… you've told me 1000 times. I don’t really remember when, why, or how it started, but it seems like ever since we started talking you've been an endless fountain of compliments. Some of them have only been shallow observations i.e. “You’re so gorgeous.” But others, the ones that really matter, have gone deeper than you could ever imagine. I heard a joke once that goes something like this: “What’s the one place you can touch a woman that she’ll remember forever?” The answer is her heart. And, funny as that joke may be, it’s very true. If you touch a girl’s heart, she will remember it forever and love you more because of that memory.  Either way, a compliment is a compliment, and they all make me happy, especially coming from you. You have said some of the sweetest things I have ever heard, or in some cases read. It seems like you've used every line in the book 1000 times, but I promise I never get tired of hearing them. I love you because you tell me you love me, over and over and over again.

         There’s an old saying that a girl will marry a guy who’s like her dad. And, surprisingly enough, you and my dad are kind of similar. I’m not saying you’re really close, but definitely close enough that I wonder about it. You have, first and foremost, almost exactly the same sense of humor, which is one of the things I love most about you. You love all of the same movies, which is probably not entirely a good thing, but oh well. Then there’s your very similar pattern of laziness and pretty much doing nothing most of the time. And, only slightly, your excessive eating, which is ok for you but not ok for my dad. There are other similarities, but I know that, no matter how many I list, you’re not going to see it. I’m not suggesting that we’ll get married or anything, but it’s just kind of interesting to think about.

         Like every other girl on this planet, lesbians being the exception, I have an ideal boyfriend in mind. I always have and always will, whether or not I've already found him. I have a criteria for the “perfect boyfriend,” but I can’t tell you what it is because it’s an ever-lengthening list. But I can tell you that, if I wrote it out, the first few qualities on the list would be all of yours. Smart, funny, a good listener, spontaneous, adventurous, sweet, ambitious, tolerant, decisive, talented, athletic, etc. The only “perfect boyfriend” quality you don’t have is the ability to cook at least half-way, but it’s not that important. One of the most important reasons why I love you, is that you’re my everything.

         As much as I hate making a reference to a book, I have to do it. Anyway, there’s this book called The Little Prince, and in the book the prince meets a fox. This fox bears a secret, and he tells it to the prince. He says “One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” In other words, the only things that matter are the things you can’t see. This quote is not only my favorite, but also very true, and applicable to love and relationships. Now, take notice to the fact that all of the qualities about which I wrote, have nothing to do with anything I can physically see. So, my point is that physical attractiveness doesn't matter, and if you wondering why I was yet to mention it, this is why. I don’t love you because of what I see, I love you because of what I feel in my heart.

         My dad’s right, I am a “catastrophic thinker.” And I will admit, that when it comes to optimism, I usually fall short. But no matter how much I think about our future, I don’t come up with any catastrophic, pessimistic outcomes. I only see happiness for us. Sure, we probably won’t end up married or anything, but I don’t see us breaking up anytime soon. Even if we don’t get to see each other very often while you’re at college, I’m pretty sure we can give it a good shot. Who knows, maybe it won’t be so bad. It will definitely be tough, especially at first, but that doesn't mean it’s impossible.





Love Always,

Jordan

P.S. Happy birthday!

         

         

         

         

         

         

© Copyright 2013 Jordan Neighbors (jordyleslie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925423-The-Reasons-Why-I-love-You