*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925628-epic-fantasy-outline
Rated: 18+ · Outline · Fantasy · #1925628
for epic fantasy contest, working on outline of story about battle at fort
This is really for the end of the epic fantasy novel I started writing in 2010. Have a bit over 50,000 words so far but it's not near done yet. The main characters involve a group, but most of the viewpoints are from the two elf characters. This is a rough outline, not sure how it will work as a "story" but will give it a try.


Start of novel, group either enters the Fort or the section of the group is about to see the leader of the Fort is greeting them. Something of that nature. The two elves are keeping their identity hidden, as they are among just humans. Though they have a female dwarf in their group, the nervousness about reaction to their kind makes them keep it hidden. The group has information about an impending attack on the Fort and will expose their identity to the leader.

Maybe the two female humans are with the group, maybe they are exploring areas of the fort while the others meet the leader.

Once they get the attention of the leader, they either ask for private conversation (if they don't have that already), then remove the disguises. The Fort used to have a connection to the elven community before they withdrew from others, and he is aware of such so the leader doesn't mind the elves. He is willing to listen to what they have to offer.

However, he doesn't know anything about a special weapon that is referred to in the information they have about the reason for the impending attack. He ends up accepting their offer to help though the military captain ends up being not happy about it, especially when leader practically puts D-elf (working on fixing names) in charge.

Start to prepare for the upcoming battle. Figuring out where to keep the children and those that can't fight safe, and other things like that along with getting the fort ready to deal with a large attack. Feyn-elf also learns more how to handle his weapons since he's a pretty terrible fighter.

Woman and D-elf get along after he saved her little girl. She's kinda dating the captain, which makes him not like the elf even more.

Feyn struggles with his friendship to the elf, sort of developing feelings but still not open to the fact that he might like males, even though he knows D is gay.

Though he sees woman and D together and starts to wonder about it.

Aside from the regular battle prep stuff, there is a question as to whether they want to do the battle or give in because they haven't fought against such intense odds before. D even offers to let them give him to the overlord that is attacking but they would never give up to anyone. Then D instead admits to his secret, that he can do magic even though it's thought only the elves that were annihilated could do magic.


The day of the battle arrives as last minute preparations are made. A small lad walks by with a sword that is much too large for him. D has someone else take the sword and has the lad join those in the above area. There he has Feyn give the boy his bow and D has him use his.

The enemy arrives. Following protocol a messenger steps forward giving out the message that the fort would be spared if they surrender and hand over any elves that might be there. D stands forward and gives them the response. D has commanded the group not to fire first. The enemy follows protocol and shoots at D first but the arrow bounces off a barrier he put up.

The battle begins.

Sometime during the fight Feyn almost gets hurt. D saves him and in the process ends up getting knocked over the side. Short human pins the creature to the wall and the two look over the edge to see if D is okay. He is unconscious on the ground and one of the creatures gets to him first. Feyn tries to shoot the one carrying him but others keep jumping in the way.

The enemy on a surprise move retreats. Everyone at the fort is celebrating what they believe to be a victory while Feyn and Krystal interrogate the creature that is pinned to the wall. When the fort’s leader and the rest of the group arrive they are surprised to see Feyn and the other two are not happy. When asked why they respond that the battle might have been won but the war was lost. It is realized that D is the weapon that the ruler had been looking for.
© Copyright 2013 Dawn Embers (elfmage7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1925628-epic-fantasy-outline