*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1926792-The-Old-Man-and-the-Coin
by PATTY
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Drama · #1926792
Old Man get's lucky
Happy Birthday Maurice 4/1/2013

Maurice was an old man, lines of life upon his face. He walked every day to keep his mobility. On one particular Sunday in spring of 2013 he was walking down his usual route, when something strange happened to him. He saw a coin on the ground and stooped to pick it up. Well that wasn’t so strange but what happened next is.

He looked at the coin, a bright and shiny quarter, remembering a time when he was a young boy in winter of 1945 his mother gave him a quarter to buy some food for the family (a quarter went a long way then.) He got to the store and realized he had lost it and began to cry as his family could hardly afford the quarter.

A young man stopped and came up to Maurice asking him why he was crying. When he told the young man what had happened, the young man gave him two quarters and told him to buy a little more at the store.

(It was like he lost the coin and he found it)
~~~~~

Maurice put the coin in his pocket, and on the way home he purchased a lottery ticket.

He thought if he wins he’ll donate it to his favorite charity.

That night he waited to get the lottery results on his modest television. He didn’t win the jackpot but he got 5 numbers. A MILLION DOLLARS!



From WDC writing prompts
© Copyright 2013 PATTY (artiste616 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1926792-The-Old-Man-and-the-Coin