*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927608-Love-through-the-ages
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #1927608
This is a short story about a dream I had, the theme is reincarnation.
Love through the Ages

It’s 5:00AM and they’re grooming the slopes already; there’s going to be good skiing today. The rumble and clanking of the Snow Kats are waking up Chad and all the other people squeezed in this condo.

I can’t wait to tell him about my amazing dream.

“Good morning Chad, did you sleep well?” “No he replied, I had a really weird dream and don’t know what to make of it.”

“I had a dream too; let me tell you about mine first. It was incredible. It was like I was watching a movie, and we were players in the movie. 

It took place in the old west, possibly New Mexico in the mid 1800s. You were in it, dressed as a cowboy. You were the foreman on the ranch, and I was the rancher’s daughter. There was another person in the dream, my father, who owned the ranch.

The dream started in the parlor of the ranch house. You and I wanted to get married. You were getting up your nerve to ask father’s permission, you took a big gulp of whisky, drew a deep breath, looked my father squarely in the eye and asked for my hand.

Father paused for a second, and then got a big smile on his face when he said yes, and then gave us his blessing. Father broke out his best whisky and we joyfully toasted our wedding.

Meanwhile, a few miles to the west, a band of Comanche warriors were planning to attack.  They hate the white man, cattle ranches, and people that plow the soil. They wanted us all off their land or dead.

Just before dawn the war party quietly made their way on to the ranch, chased off the live stock and set the barn on fire. The flames burned high in the morning sky and were visible for miles.

The neighbors came as fast as they could, to help, but they were too late. All they found were arrow-riddled bodies with their scalps taken.”

Chad wiped the sleep from his eyes and smiled. “It sounds as if my dream was the second act of yours.

We were on a ranch in the old west being attacked by Indians.

When it began, I was a cowboy and you were a cowgirl, your father and two ranch hands were with us when we were swarmed by an Indian war party. They came running in from the burning barn, their war cries were full of hate, with their weapons drawn, and they shoot at us.

Before I knew what was happening there was an arrow in my chest, and I watched myself die. I could see arrows penetrate the ranch hands and then your father; they died quickly.

The Indians looked at you as if they were going to take you to their village to live with them. They argued for a few minute then, they killed you too.

“Chad, I don’t know what this means. Do you believe in reincarnation? Could we have been together in a past life?”

“Liz, when I was young, in church they told us that you are born, you live a good life and when you die you go to heaven or hell, that’s it, there is no second chance, however, our dreams last night made me think that’s not true.

I believe now that death is a gateway for the soul to move from one chapter of life to another. I think that we were together in another life time that it ended abruptly, and that we are here now to take up where we left off.”
© Copyright 2013 Dave Hull (davehull3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927608-Love-through-the-ages