*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927992-Facing-The-Crowd
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1927992
Sometimes facing your past can give you a new outlook on your future.
I swore I'd never come back here again. I hate this town. This is where I'd spent the worst years of my life, but here I am.

After graduation I couldn't wait to get as far away from this town as possible. Everyone around here knew your business, whether it was true or not. If it was whispered at the diner or the beauty shop, it was gospel. So when Joey Macallister told the whole town what we'd done, it didn't matter that he was lying to make himself look studly.

Joey was the kind of guy who could have had any girl in school, except me. I thought he was a jerk. I was the bookworm and never went to any of the sporting events which automatically made me an outcast. I knew it went against the norm but I never knew it would make me a target.

I avoided the popular kids. They'd been a tight group since we were in grade school, but as they all got older, they all got meaner. Even some of the teachers tried to avoid dealing with them, but Joey was the worst. Being the only son of the town's Chief of Police, he pretty much did what he wanted. I'd always prayed that somehow karma would come back around and smack him right in his smug little, pretty-boy face.

It was in my junior year that I found out just how mean he could be. From the first day of school on, he'd actually been somewhat nice to me. He was still a pompous jerk, but he did say hi to me in class and had asked me if I needed a ride home on days when the weather sucked. Normally I'd say no and walk on home, but on that one day I gave in. It was so cold and the snow was really piling up. I didn't have far to walk, but it seemed logical to get a ride home as opposed to freezing to death. It was the dumbest thing I'd ever done.

He didn't even get out of his car. He just pulled in the driveway, waited for me to get into the house, then left. End of story...or so I thought. The next day at school was the beginning of my torture. He'd told all his buddies I'd taken him into my room and allowed him to do anything he wanted. By the end of the week, the entire football team had come up with stories of their own and I'd instantly become the town tramp. I was devastated. Worst of all, my parents believed the stories rather than listening to me. I dealt with it until graduation a year and a half later, but that was the last time I'd set foot in this damn town, until now.

The town hadn't changed much in twenty-five years. There was still only one main road through town. There was the grocery store on the corner and the beauty shop next door. I knew I didn't dare stop in either of those places so I just drove on to my parents home. Though we'd spoken on the phone regularly, things were never the same between them and myself. My sister was their perfect child anyway which is why she and her three kids were living in their basement.

Mom took me up to my room so I could get settled in and told me dinner would be ready soon. She said she'd wanted to sit and talk later, but I knew she'd only skim over the real issues and talk about all the superficial stuff happening in town. Basically the same conversation we could have had over the phone. My sister popped her head in to say hi but I could tell by her tone she wished I wasn't there. The trouble was I didn't want to be there either, but I had to for this occasion.

Though there were pleasantries all around the dinner table, it was obviously forced. My father and I hadn't gotten along in years, but we did talk. My mother had to fill me in on all the latest gossip, most of which I couldn't have cared less about. My sister spent most our conversation hinting at the fact she was Daddy's favorite to which I replied with hints that I wasn't the one with three kids and no husband. By the time I went to bed, I was exhausted.

The next day came and I knew it was time to face the people who had made my teenaged life hell. I had packed my best dress for this occasion, not looking to fancy but not too frumpy either. I knew that this would be the very last time I'd have to deal with these people.

I reached my destination with fear and excitement in my heart. In fact, I was almost giddy. That excitement faded as I walked in. The minute they all saw me, the whispering began. I knew what they were saying, but I didn't care. This was my chance to look him in the face. As I walked past the slew of people I couldn't stand, I became more defiant. Then there he was, dressed in his very best and looking as smug as he had all those years ago.

I stare at him for a moment with mixed feelings. A devilish grin crossed my face as I softly spoke, “Wow, Karma really is a bitch, isn't it Joey”. I then placed the single black rose on the dead man's chest. When I turned around, all I saw was the crowd of people I'd avoided for years. I strode out of the church, got into my car, and drove out of town. I didn't even stop to tell my family good-bye.

I knew it wasn't my personal best, but for the first time in years, I felt as though I'd made an impression that I honestly deserved.
© Copyright 2013 sapheyerblu (sapheyerblu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927992-Facing-The-Crowd