*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928558-Weasel-Wrangling-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #1928558
Henry and Andy contemplated how to get rid of the varmint.
“The whole thing don’t amount to spit,” Henry ascertained.

Andy examined the sprung trap. “Dang weasel chewed right through da back. Looky here.” He slipped his whole fist in and out of the hole.

“We ain’t never gonna catch that little dude. He’s too smart. Maybe we should try something different.”

“What you got in mind?” Andy stuck a long weed between his teeth, as he liked to do.

“Food source. My granddad said they like mice and berries.”

“Is your granddaddy that guy hunged up above your stove?”

“It’s called a portrait, ya moron. Yup. That’s him.”

“You must’ve taken after your mama’s side. He looks too good to be your relation.”

Henry grunted. He picked a few berries and examined them. “Yeah. I think these will do. These are plenty pungent and should cover the smell of the poison.” He took a skull and cross-bone flask from his pocket and doused the berries. Andy tinkered at fixing the trap.

Henry carefully placed the berries at the entrance to a rodent hole.

“Now, a weasel will go for the rodent. If he’s unsuccessful, maybe he goes to the alternative. Damn thing. Gnaws through everything. Just a nuisance critter.”

“Let’s sit yonder and see what happens,” Andy piped, “We can smoke a little downwind.” He pulled a pack of cigs from his pocket. Henry nodded.

They sat on a convenient boulder and peered through the bushes.

“Ever seen the little beast?” Andy asked.

“Nope. Ain’t nothing else can chew holes like that.”

Andy glanced through the bushes and waved Henry closer. “Something’s moving,” he whispered.

They watched a small creature emerge. It spread a pair of wings inordinately larger than it’s small body, snatched the berries in its talons, and flew off.

Andy turned to Henry. “That weren’t no weasel.”



Flash Story
300 words
Must contain: trap, portrait, wings
© Copyright 2013 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1928558-Weasel-Wrangling-1st-Place