*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930012-Torment
by Pepper
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1930012
Tormented, Jay realizes the choice truly is his.
“Do it,” the voice hissed.

Jay scanned the dark corners of the basement. The light from the partially closed door at the top of the stairs barely reached the third step. The chain to the single bulb dangled to his left, useless.  When he had first entered the dank room, he had pulled on it, but the light had flickered and then shattered.  Jay had ducked as shards of glass had rained down, nicking his skin and embedding themselves in his dark curls.

“Just do it,” repeated the breathless voice.

“Who are you?” 

“I’m your judge and jury, Jay.  We just need an executioner.”

“Come… Come out where I can see you.”   

“Down here.”  A face began to emerge from the shadows. The red eyes glittered and the scaly skin faded in and out of the dark, puckered floor.  Jay felt rather than heard the demon slither up through the cement. An icy band of claws wrapped his leg and circled up around his chest—constricting.

“Do it,” it hissed. “We both know you are guilty.”

“Guilty of what?” Jay shook his head but still lifted the glock, pressing the barrel against his right temple.  He had no memory of carrying the gun down the stairs. “Please, I don’t want—“

“Enough!” boomed the voice. “Do it now.” Jay’s finger began to depress the trigger.  Despite the chill, sweat dripped down the side of his face.  His lips trembled, and a tear leaked from the corner of his eye.

“Daddy?” The door at the top of the stairs swung open.  Lights from the kitchen cast a halo around this three-year-old daughter.  Jay dropped the gun and took his first deep breath in minutes.

“Right here, Jenna.  Daddy will always be right here.”



Word Count 292

© Copyright 2013 Pepper (plscholl2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930012-Torment