*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930536-ending-of-a-cycle
by Alex
Rated: E · Other · Philosophy · #1930536
this is a brief philosophical story concerning consumerism and happiness.
As a poor man with no food and no home cried on the street, a middle class man in tears came and left a coin in his tin. The poor man asked “Why is it that you cry? You have a house and food, if I had these things I would never have reason to cry again.” The middle class man continued walking down the street, no longer in tears, and came across and upper class man. He asked the upper class man “Why is it that you cry? You have a house, food, and security. If I had security I would never have a reason to cry again. The upper class man continued to walk down the street, no longer in tears, until he came across a rich man who was crying. He asked the rich man “Why is it that you cry? You have a house, food, security, and power, if I had power I would never cry again.” The rich man continued walking down the street, no longer in tears. He continued to walk thinking about what the upper class man had said, until he came across the wealthiest man on earth, and he was in tears. He asked the richest man “Why is it that you cry? You have a house, food, security, and total and dominant power, if I had total and dominant power I would never cry again.” The richest man replied “It has taken me my whole life to achieve these things. It has taken the neglect of my family, of my health, and of my God to reach the level I have reached. I have had to do much harm to many people in order to attain what I have attained.” The rich man then asked, “you have achieved the highest in all things, how is it that you still cry?” The richest man said, “I have caused nothing but harm my own life and feel no remorse except that I have accomplished a goal for which there is not better, there is no greater accomplishment to complete.” The poor man then passed by these men, no longer in tears, exalting to the heavens for receiving a $20 note. The middle class man came rejoicing because he had found a way to ensure his security. The upper class came screaming love into the air, he had found a woman and was expecting to start a family. The rich man returned the next day to speak with the richest man, he told him, “I have given away all of my possessions, and I have never felt happier in my life. But at second look he saw that the richest man sat in his chair dead, beside him a note reading, “I have finished what I have come here to do. I have completed all the goals that have been given to me. I have achieved more than anyone on the earth has achieved, the only way I will ever be happy is to start over.” The following age the poor man became the middle class man, the middle class man a high class man, the high class man a wealthy man, and the wealthy man, having given away all his possessions escaped the cycle of greed and want, and was the only one who led the rest of his life without tears.
© Copyright 2013 Alex (abilligue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1930536-ending-of-a-cycle