*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931133-The-House-Across-The-Street
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #1931133
A teenage girl pays for her curiosity.
Marsha Randall was walking home from school when she noticed a moving truck in front of the house directly across from where she lived.“Oh great, new neighbors, she thought to herself”

She opened the door to her house and yelled up the stairs, “Mom I’m home!”

She threw her backpack down on the couch, and looked for the remote for the TV. She found it stuck down in the cushion. She flopped down on the couch and flipped on the TV.

From where she was sitting, she could watch the activities across the street.
There was a slim woman with short blonde hair supervising the furniture coming out of the truck.

However, what caught her eye was the tall good looking guy wiping down a red convertible mustang. He had almost shoulder length blonde hair, wide shoulders, and long lean physic.

“Wow”. Marsha thought. “What a hottie.” She had to meet this guy.

She ran up the stairs and stood inside the doorway to her mothers’ room. Her mother, Cathy, was working at her desk, but after hearing Marsha, looked up from her computer, “And to what do I owe this pleasure?” Cathy asked peering at Marsha over her glasses.

“Mom did you see the moving truck across the street? It looks like we are to have new neighbors. Maybe we should bake some cookies and take them over and introduce ourselves.”

Her mother looked at her oddly and asked, “Since when are you so interested in the neighbors?”

“Gee Mom; you’re the one that is always telling me I should take an interest in people.” Marsha said exasperated.

“Okay her mother laughed, “You go make the cookies and I will walk over there with you”.

Marsha went down to the kitchen and started making the cookies. She decided on chocolate chip. You could never go wrong with chocolate chip cookies.

While they were baking she stood at the front window watching the boy. “Just wait till Alisha gets a load of him,” she sighed.

Alisha was her best friend. She had been since second grade. They did everything together and never kept secrets from each other.

The timer went off on the oven so Marsha ran in, took the cookies out, and laid them on the cutting board to cool off.

She walked back up to the window to check on the progress across the street. The boy was helping his mother carry a bed out of the truck and into the house. Marsha noticed the muscles rippling under his t-shirt.

She ran half way up the stairs and hollered at her mother to come down so they could get going. She picked out the best plate they had. It was one of the plates her mother used when they had company, and she arranged the cookies to her satisfaction.

Her mother came down stairs and put on her sweater to leave.

“That’s not what your wearing is it?” asked Marsha, rolling her eyes.

“Marsha, they’re just neighbors,” replied Cathy. “It’s not like I’m going to meet the Queen of Sheba. Forever more! What is wrong with you?”

“Nothing, I just want to make a good impression like you tell me to all the time,” said Marsha ducking her chin.

They walked across the street and up to the door which was open. Marsha’s mother knocked on the door. A few seconds later the blonde woman came to the door. Marsha's mother introduced herself and Marsha and explained that they lived across the street.
The woman who was very pretty, smiled and said, “I am Janet Gorman. Won’t you come in?”

The house was big and very stylish. The man who had lived there before had been an architect, so the design was beautiful.

“You have to excuse the house, we’re still unpacking.” She said.

“Don’t worry about it. My daughter baked some cookies for you, to welcome you to the neighbor hood.”

“Why thank you Marsha,” She smiled, “My son will love these. Let me call him downstairs to meet you.”

She walked over and called up the stairs.

A few seconds later, the boy came down the stairs and his mother introduced him as Josh. He zeroed in on the cookies and Janet laughed and explained that Marsha had made them. He was even better looking up close. Marsha felt tongue tied.

Cathy asked Janet if she could use any help unpacking and Janet said she could really use some help in the kitchen.

“Why don’t you take Marsha upstairs and show her your room.” Janet said.

Josh looked at Marsha for the first time and looked her up and down with appreciation in his eyes. “Do you get the feeling they are trying to get rid of us?” Marsha said to him. It broke the tension and Marsha laughed and said, “It’s alright with me, I don’t like unpacking”.

Josh led the way upstairs and invited Marsha to sit down. Marsha noticed he didn’t have a lot in his room. There were a few rock n roll posters on his wall. But none of the things that she had seen in the boys rooms she knew. There was nothing that looked like it was school associated.

She told him that they would probably be going to the same high school. He kind of looked down and said, “I don’t go to public school.” I am home schooled. I take classes on the internet.” We have to move around a lot because of my mothers work.” He didn’t volunteer what that was and she didn’t ask.

“I could show you around if you like.” Marsha offered.

“That would be cool,” he said a little shyly.

They made small talk for a while until Cathy called up the stairs to tell Marsha they had to go. Marsha found out that they were both 17.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you around.” Marsha said.

“Thanks for the cookies,” he smiled, “They are really good.”

“No problem, and welcome to the neighborhood.” Marsha said backing out of the room to leave.

Marsha and her mom left and walked back across the street. Marsha felt someone’s eyes on them and glanced back to see the curtain moving in Josh’s window.

“Janet seems nice,” her mother commented. “And after getting a look at Josh I understand why you were so interested in going over there. He’s quite good looking” She nudged Marsha in the ribs and Marsha blushed. “We will have to invite them over for dinner.” She is a single parent too. I saw a couple of boxes that looked like they had toys and stuff for a little girl, but she said it was just her and Josh.”

That night Marsha stood at her window watching the house across the street. She wondered what Josh’s deal was. His personality didn’t really fit his looks. He seemed nice enough though.

As she stood there Josh and his mother left in a van and came back a little while later. They opened up the back of the van, Josh got a dolly out of the garage and him, and his mother unloaded a large crate from out of the van and moved it into the house. They kept looking around as if to see if anyone was watching. Josh glanced up at Marsha's window and she ducked behind the curtain. She peeked out again but they had already gone in the house.

Marsha wondered what was in the crate and why it wasn’t delivered on the moving truck that day. The way they had been acting as they unloaded it was weird. It was as if they were trying to hide something.

Marsha called Alisha and caught her up on the recent events. “Maybe there was a dead body in that crate’. Alisha said. Marsha laughed. “I think our imagination is running away with us. He seems like a nice guy. I gotta go I can hear my mother coming to tell me to get off the phone and go to bed. I’ll talk to you at school tomorrow.”

After school Marsha decided to go ask Josh if he wanted to walk up to the park down the street and hangout for a little while.

She knocked on the door and when there wasn’t any answer, she knocked harder.Finally Josh opened the door a crack and Marsha asked if he wanted to get out of the house. He acted real nervous. Marsha heard a crash in the background and asked him if everything was okay. He said it was just the TV and asked her if she could come back in an hour that his mother would be there then. “Look you have to leave now. I’ll see you in an hour.” He shut the door quickly and Marsha heard the lock click.

Marsha went home and did her homework which took about an hour, then decided to go over to Joshes again. She noticed that the car was in the driveway, so Janet must be home.

She knocked again. This time Janet answered the door. She was real nice and said she was sure Josh would want to walk up to the park. She called him and he came to the door and joined Marsha on the porch.

“Don’t stay out too late Josh, his mother told him. I won’t,” he said.

He was real quiet on the way to the park. When they got there they sat on the swings and talked. Marsha noticed a scratch and a bruise on his head, and asked him if he was all right. He said he was and that he had just fallen over some boxes. “If you ever need someone to talk to I’m here,” Marsha told him.” He replied, “Thanks you’re nice.”

Marsha did most of the talking. She told him about school and Alisha. Before they realized, it had started getting dark. He walked her to her door and asked if she wanted to stop by tomorrow. She said sure and she would see him then.

It kind of became a regular occurrence, her stopping by after school. He helped her with her homework. Even though he was homeschooled he was way ahead of her in academics. Marsha noticed that Josh didn’t ever have any other friends visit.

There had been several days like the first one, when he acted strange and wouldn’t let her in. He always seemed to have scratches on his arms. One day Marsha asked him if he had a cat, and he just shook his head and so she dropped it.

Then there came a day when Josh had gone to the kitchen to fix some snacks and Marsha wandered around the house, exploring. She found a door under the stairs and opened it. It was dark so she felt for a light switch, and turned it on. She was at the top of a flight of stairs. “Must be the basement,” she thought. She climbed down and found another switch with a string hanging down. So she pulled it and the room lit up. There was just the usual stuff. It had a laundry space, some boxes stored, and some tools. She walked a little further in and noticed a door with a padlock on it. Then she heard some soft singing. She was just about to look in the little window when she heard Josh calling from upstairs. She turned the lights out and hurried back upstairs. She went into the kitchen and acted as though nothing had happened.

That evening she couldn’t get the door out of her mind. What in the world did they have in that room that they had to padlock it, and did she hear singing or was it just her imagination.

She called Alisha and told her everything and Alisha said they should just sneak over there, when Josh and Janet were gone and see what was in that room. “But that is breaking and entering,” said Marsha.

“Look it’s the only way to find out, Alisha said excitedly. “They could be serial killers or something.”

“Oh right! That’s ridiculous,” said Marsha.” Josh is sweet, a little weird at times, but sweet.”

The next day Marsha and Josh was sitting at his kitchen table, when his mom came in and made two trays of food. She asked them if they wanted anything and they told her no that they already had a snack. She walked out with the two trays and Marsha asked Josh if his mother had company. He was quiet for a moment, and then said, “I have chores to do. You better leave. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay said Marsha. Are you sure you don’t want me to stay and help?”

“No, he said, I got it.”

He walked her to the door, then shut it behind her and she heard the click of the lock. She had started down the stairs when she heard voices raised in anger coming from inside. She hurried across the street, wondering what in the world they could have been arguing about. She couldn’t find any more excuses for Joshes peculiar behavior.

Marsha called Alisha when she got home and told her what happened. She told her about the two trays of food Janet had fixed just for herself. “See, I told you there was something odd about them.” I’m coming over there tonight and we are going to find out what is going on with those two.”

Later that evening Alisha came over and showed Marsha her supplies she had gathered. “Gee, you look like a cat burglar laughed Marsha.” They watched out the window until they saw Janet and Josh come out and get into the car and leave. They crept across the street and walked along side the house trying to look into the windows.

“Maybe we can get into one of the windows,” Alisha said.

“No they are all nailed shut from the inside,” said Marsha.

“See there is another suspicious thing to add to the list, remarked Alisha.”

They came up to the back door and Alisha told Marsha to get ready to be impressed.

“Here hold the flashlight for me.” Alisha said, shoving the flashlight into Marsha's hand.
“Hold still and quit shaking Alisha said.”

“I can’t help it, I’m nervous". Marsha replied. "Breaking into someone’s house is not something I do everyday.”

All of a sudden she heard a click and Alisha pushed the door open. They looked at each other for a couple of seconds but then there was no going back. They walked into the dark kitchen and down the hall way. There was only one light on in the house and it was a table lamp in the living room.

Marsha led Alisha over to the door to the basement, but when she tried to turn the knob it was locked. “Okay well that’s it lets go,” she said.”

“Oh no, we’re not quitting now Alisha quipped, "Move out of the way.”

She did her lock picking trick again and got the door open.

“Where is the light switch, asked Alisha?”

“No don’t turn on the light the neighbors might see it and call the cops. Just use that huge flashlight you got there. You can see for miles with that thing.”

“Yeah cool huh? It’s my dads camping lantern.”

Marsha led the way to the door she had discovered. It must have been a wine cellar at one time. She walked up to the little window. There looked to be a soft florescent ceiling light. It was so dim you could barely see anything. She peered in and at first all she saw was a twin bed then some toys lying around on the floor. There were some dirty plastic dishes. The blankets had been torn off the bed, onto the floor. She backed up so Alisha could take a look.

Alisha whispered. “It looks like a kid’s room. Maybe they kidnap kids.”

“It’s padlocked; we can’t get in there to see.” Marsha worried.

Alisha raised her hand, felt along the top edge of the door frame, and found something. She opened her hand to reveal a key. She smiled and said “Marsh you just give up too easy.”

“Alisha, I don’t know if I really want to go in there. This is all too bizarre.”

“If there’s someone in there, we have to help them,” said Alisha, already fumbling with the lock. Alisha pulled the lock off and slowly opened the door. I was a metal door and heavy. It creaked as they pulled it open.

Alisha stepped in with Marsha right behind her. Marsha covered her nose and said, “Gross, what is that horrible smell?” All of a sudden Alisha slipped and fell right in front of her.

“Shine the light down here. I am sitting in something wet and gooey, whined Alisha.”

Marsha pointed the light down showing Alisha trying to rub something off her hands.
“Oh God Marsha I think this is poo. It’s all over the place. I think I’m going to puke.”

Marsha shined the light around the room. The whole floor was a stinking mess. She swung the flashlight over in a corner and gasped. There looked to be a little girl about six or seven years old crouching down on the floor, her hair was matted and sticking out everywhere.

Alisha started to walk slowly toward her saying, “Little girl, are you all right little girl?”

The girl just kept her head down and whimpered. Alisha got closer and squatted down.
“We’re going to help you.” Alisha held out her hand. “Can you take my hand?”

As quick as lightening the girl grabbed Alisha’s hand and started biting it, making growling sounds. Then she jumped at her knocking her to the ground all the time biting and scratching. She picked up a broken kids chair and started beating Alisha over the head with it.

Alisha screamed for Marsha to help her so without thinking Marsha raised the flashlight and hit the girl in the head. It must have stunned her because she fell off Alisha and lay still.

Marsha looked down at Alisha and started crying. Alisha was covered with blood.Marsha shook her, telling her to get up. “Please be alive Alisha.”

Alisha groaned softly so Marsha started dragging her out of the room. She was almost out of the door when the girl flung herself at her and pushed her down. Marsha tried to push her off but she was crazed and strong. Marsha was screaming and fighting to get her off. She finally saw the girls face through her hair. She had a horrible snarl and her eyes were wild and evil looking. Marsha fumbled for the flash light, and started hitting out at the girl. One of her swings connected with the girls face and she yelped and scooted off on all fours into the darkness.

Marsha scrambled up, grabbed Alisha by the shoulders, and dragged her up the stairs, and out into the yard. She hid her in the bushes, told her she would be back with help then ran around the house.

Marsha ran along side of the house to the front yard just in time to see Janet and Josh drive up in the driveway. They got out of the car and Josh yelled her name.

Marsha kept running until Josh ran up, tackled her to the ground, and sat on her. She fought back, screaming, “Let me go, let me go”.

Josh held her down and yelled, “Marsha what’s wrong?”

Janet screamed at Josh and pointed back at the house where the little girl was scooting around on the front porch throwing chairs and breaking windows.

He looked down and just said, “Oh Marsha, no.” Then he got off her and took off after the girl.

Marsha got up and ran across the street and into her house screaming for her mother. Cathy came in and grabbed Marsha as she fell into her arms, saying “Oh my God Marsha what’s wrong, what happened to you?”

Marsha tried to catch her breath. “Mom you have to call the police and the ambulance, NOW! Alisha could be dead.”

A few minutes later the cops and the ambulance arrived. Marsha showed the EMT’s where she had hidden Alisha. They put her on a stretcher and rushed her into the ambulance. The EMT told Marsha they thought Alisha would make it. They treated Marsha for some cuts and scratches, and then left her in her mother’s care.

Marsha and her mother stood in their front yard and watched the chaos across the street. The cops had run down the girl and had darted her because they couldn’t get close enough to subdue her because she was so violent. They loaded her in the back seat of the cop car.

Josh was holding back his mother. She was crying, “Don’t take my baby girl, please don’t take my baby girl”.

Janet saw Marsha across the street and yelled at her. “This is all your fault. You did this”,

Marsha buried her face in her mother’s shoulder and sobbed. Cathy hugged her, took her in the house, and laid her on the couch with her head in Cathy’s lap. Marsha finally fell asleep.

The next day a police woman came by to check on Marsha and to get her statement. They found out that Alisha was all right thanks to Marsha.The officer told them that the girl was Josh’s little sister and that she was psychotic. “The state had her committed before for killing animals around their neighborhood. They had put her in a facility up state somewhere but the mother had kidnapped her. So they had moved around a lot and tried to keep the girl a secret. They had been keeping the girl locked up the whole time. Evidently she had become so violent that they couldn’t even go into the room and handle her anymore without sedating her,” explained the officer. She told Marsha and Cathy that the girl would be put in a sanitary place where she would get treatment.

Marsha asked the officer what would happen to Janet and Josh. “Well the mother will probably get charged with kidnapping and endangerment. However, Josh should be okay now that everything is out in the open. He was just following his mothers ‘orders. “Must have been a heavy burden for a boy of his age,” said the officer.

She looked at Marsha and remarked, “And young lady, if I were you, I wouldn’t be investigating any locked doors again”.

“Don’t worry,” said Marsha “I have learned my lesson.”

Two months afterwards, Marsha saw another moving truck across the street. When she came in her mother asked if she wanted to go with her to meet the new neighbors. Marsha looked at her and plainly said, “NO WAY”.





© Copyright 2013 sisterwolf (nomafaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931133-The-House-Across-The-Street