*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931280-The-inherited-ring
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1931280
A merman inherited a ring.
Last night I was sentenced to death by the ministry of magic for practicing deadly and forbidden witch craft and causing the death of twelve innocent people. I kept crying and pleading my innocence but it was all in vain. 

I used to be a merman, but seeing humans made me fascinated by their legs and the way they can swim and walk at the same time, I wanted to be like them so I befriended one of them. Crystal, she looked like a normal teenager to me, she was interested in me as I was interested in her. She asked me to take her to the under waters to see where I live and I did, she only lasted five minutes under the water then she started fainting on my back, I took her quickly back up leaving her at the shore. Later on I knew that humans can’t breathe under water, their lungs can’t handle it.  I tried to visit her many times after that but she was gone. Few years later I started to meet other humans, talk to them all inside the water while swimming, trying to hide my merman tail. Until one day I saw her again she looked completely different than what I remembered, I barely recognized her. She was wearing lots of clothes and jewelry; she swam to reach me calling my name.  She said that she was away learning witch craft to be able to breathe underwater. She performed a spell in front of me changing her legs into fins like mine. Diving in the waters, I went after her surprised by her speed with all what she was wearing. I gave her a tour in the under waters showing her different caves, broken ships. I told her I want a tour in her world, at first she refused but I insisted.

She performed a spell and rid me of my fins. With feet, I could venture into her world, the land. "I can only show you my world", she said. Seeing my question, she added, "Humans have many different cultures.".
Later on I found out that she was born to a famous gypsy witch family, they were feared among witches and human communities for their strong spells and magic performance. She took me to visit her parents and grandparents; they were very welcoming and generous offering lots of food and different types of wine. I was so fascinated by the flying creatures they call birds and asked out of curiosity” how were they able to fly?”
“They got wings, you shouldn't dream beyond your limits young man, your legs is a powerful magic my grandchild shouldn't have used.”  Her grandmother answered me with disgust.

I avoided her eyes and changed the subject, thanking them for the food and the drinks and that I should go back to the water. Crystal shook her head, stood up and took my hands into hers forcing me to dance with her, she started singing. The movements were new to me I stumbled and fell. Everyone laughed at me.
“I gave you those legs; I’m not planning to take them back.” Crystal glared at me. “Water creatures are known with their immortality, you aren’t leaving without giving me yours.”

It took me a moment to understand what she was talking about, I never really thought of my immortality, ever since my existence I knew I was different I never knew why people get old but I don’t, why do they burn dead bodies in the water? I always wondered why there were tears.
“I AM IMMORTAL”  I exclaimed as if I finally realized my answer to all the wonders I see and don’t understand they experience things I don’t, they know feelings I never knew.

Crystal started chanting a spell, and I fainted.

When I woke up I was back at the shore, where I first met Crystal except there was nobody there. I tried diving into the water but I realized I had no fins, I struggled to dive deeper into the water, I realized I couldn’t breathe either. what has she done to me? I left the water and the shore looking for Crystal, but she disappeared. I tried going back the place where she took me but I couldn’t find it again. I was totally lost. I spent two years looking for her, until I received a letter from her grandmother.

Dear water creature
         I’m sorry for what my granddaughter did to you, when you get this letter I’ll be dead since it’s my time to go, my granddaughter has gone wild, my ring is the only thing that’s going to stop her, please save her.
Ps. forsake love and all human emotions before wearing that ring or worse is going to happen.
Crystal’s grandmother.


I found the ring attached to the letter. I was overwhelmed by hatred, I was left two years in the streets without shelter, money or anything and she was asking me to save her granddaughter, she must be crazy. what am I going to do with the ring anyway I thought.

I kept starring at the ring and the letter until I decided to find Crystal maybe giving her the ring will give me my life back. I wore the ring on my little finger it was too small for me and I was afraid to lose it.
A sudden lightening appeared and I saw flashes of Crystal face all around me, I heard people running and screaming. I felt changes go through by body, I changed into something bigger, and I turned into brown solid creature. I tried to take off the ring but it was stuck.

During my transformation twelve people died, the ring was cursed, I was suppose to give it to Crystal and not wear it myself, It sucked the feelings out of me and used it against the people around me, that’s why now I’m a prisoner waiting for my execution. 
© Copyright 2013 Nada Philippe (a.k.a: R.H.N) (rhmn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931280-The-inherited-ring