*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931463-How-Ironic
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Article · Experience · #1931463
Don't you love those ironic moments & situations? Here's one that will make you think!
Those who know about the common symptoms of ADD, they know one of the common ones is 'inability to concentrate, focus, & stay organized'. Those with ADD/ADHD sometimes struggle with staying on task, keeping things organized, remembering important events/appointments, etc. Many people with ADD struggle also battle procrastination, fatigue, as well as motivation. On the other hand, people with ADD also get something called 'hyperfocus'-where your brain zones in on a task, subject, or whatever has your interests. The downside is that hyperfocus can get so strong that time passes without you even realizing it. However, with time & skill-practice, someone with ADD CAN learn how to do these things better than normal.

The irony I'm speaking of here is how a woman (using myself as the example) who has ADD & Sensory Processing Disorder is a full-time Realtor & Writer. These are 2 careers where organization, focus, concentration, keeping track of appointments, and so forth are CRUCIAL to your success. These are also 2 careers where procrastination & lack of motivation can hinder your success, as well as kill your income. As a Realtor &/or writer, you have to keep track of deadlines, appointments, clients & their unique needs/characteristics, etc. You have to keep track of contracts, files, and information; including the information needed for the IRS (ultimate fun). There may be days when you don't feel as motivated to do the things that need to be done; but those are the moments when it is even more important to get it done. Sometimes you have to force yourself to sit down at the computer (or notebook), and write until you break yourself out of it.

What Can Be Done to Help
People with ADD sometimes have to be their best cheerleaders, their strongest encouragement, and self-motivated. A few suggestions for doing this are;
1) Make a "vision" board- Take a poster board (preferrably white or black-no fluorescent colors), find pictures & short sayings either from magazines or printed off the internet. Strategically place them on the board (try not to clutter it) with these images/words. Hang the completed board someplace where you can see it often; whether it be in your room, your home office, etc.
2) Email Calendar- depending on what provider you use for your email, most have a calendar where you can list appointments, set reminders, as well as email others who may need to be reminded of it.
3) Post-it Notes- Thankfully, these are made in a variety of colors, sizes, and shapes. If you're a writer, there are also uses for Post-it Notes. Let's say you're working on a project, and you need to have a reference guide nearby. You're using the APA Manual, and you need to be able to look up certain section quickly for reference. The company that makes Post-it Notes offers them in a tab size where you can put one on a page to mark a certain section you're needing to find, and you can even write on them.
4) Make sure you get enough rest- Many people who battle ADD also sometimes have issues with insomnia (although it can be a blessing for writers). At the same time, a lack of sleep can cause major brain fog, and even feeling like your energy has been drained. This can lead to poor performance, concentration, and completion of tasks.

For many, ADD can have it's good & bad points, its times when it is a blessing & its times when it is the worst curse ever. Being a Writer with ADD you'll probably experience moments when hyperfocus can be a lifesaver, a blessing, something that brings out some amazing work. On the other hand, being a Writer with ADD also means you face having to keep organized, on task, & focused in order to get your jobs done. Just keep in mind the factor of time. When you get focused on something, sometimes time can slip away from you.
© Copyright 2013 Writer Renae (writer_renae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931463-How-Ironic