*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931475-To-whom-it-may-concern
Rated: E · Other · Animal · #1931475
I don't enjoy zoos and here's why.
    To whom it may concern:

        Ha, ha, ha. This is hilarious! Like I see many concerned faces around here. There goes a nice family of homo-hippos! How rrr you doing ladies and gents? Are you much concerned about my well-being?

          Look at me! I’m all skin and bones. I refuse to eat that grub that is passed as meat around here. I live in a cage not longer than your average boa constrictor. I smell all of you filthy, hairless chimpanzees. I also smell food so close, so maddeningly near I could go crazy, I think I already went there and back.

              Do you know what I do all day? I walk. Since this cage isn’t big enough for a light trot even, I walk along the walls the whole day. I carved a path in the grass with my incessant motion but what else can I do in this loony bin? I can’t sit, I can’t sleep, and I can’t eat. I was made for speed. I can outrun your fastest machines and here’s what I’ve been reduced to, a trinket on display.

            There must be a way out. There must be a hole in this fence somewhere. I know it. On my ten millionth round I will see it, that little chink and that’s all that I’ll need. Believe me, my time will come.

            Oh I wish you would know what it’s like for me here. I wish you could share my personal hell. Imagine that you were tied up, gagged and put in the middle of banquet hall. You are invisible. People are strolling by, eating, drinking, laughing, having a ball and no one can see you or hear your muffled moans. Escape is an arm length away but you can do nothing to break free. And so you feel your feet and hands grow cold, your mind gets foggy, you run out of breath, your field of vision is narrowing down to only one point on the distant horizon, the door. That is all you can think about. That chink in the fence, it’s here somewhere I can almost see it, maybe around this corner… 

© Copyright 2013 Chereda (chereda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931475-To-whom-it-may-concern