*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931771-Wedding
by Aelyah
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1931771
Let's go and tell them then...
Dana took a deep breath and looked again at the clock. As usual, Nick was late and she recognized the same annoyance in everyone present. The snarl on her father's face mocked the worry in her mother's eyes. Her future mother in law looked radiant, however the confusion in her eyes told Dana it wasn't her doing. The priest rubbed his hands while his eyes never left the clock.

Dana braved the looks of pity coming from both sides. Told you so glances from her family, who warned her against marrying into the rich and heartless. Gloating squints expressed the relief that Nick finally got back to his senses. A waft of vodka and sweat mixed into the heavy air and Dana braced herself by instinct.
"You never loved Nick and neither did he love you. It serves you well..."

Tears threatened to fall, however she'd never give that old goat satisfaction. She turned and smiled, all politness.
"Why, uncle Dru, thank you!"

She picked a piece of candy and walked to the back room. She fell on the chair and closed her eyes. The tears stopped when a warm hand touched her shoulder. Em. She'd recognize the feel of his palm and the subtle scent of cinnamon anywhere.

"It's too late, Em."

She struggled against his embrace but not against his kiss. What harm could be a last kiss? She'd push Em away in a little bit, just not right now.

A discrete cough broke the silence and Dana jumped from the chair. She looked in confusion around and everything rushed back to her.

"Nick, we need to talk."

Nick blurted the same words and loosened his necktie with visible discomfort and embarassment . Relief seeped through her and she smiled.

"Let's go and tell them, then..."
© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1931771-Wedding