*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1932449-Maam-you-forgot-your-cash
Rated: E · Other · Crime/Gangster · #1932449
Reaction to theft in the grocery store
Today before I left for work my wife asked if there was anything she could do for "us".  She's retired, I'm not.  I said, "Yes, do me a favor and cash this check for me."

I registered on-line for a conference using my credit card, and my company reimbursed me.  I was really looking forward to having some cash or "walking around" money as my dad used to call it.  I never keep cash.  It flows through my hands like water, but this month I've been good.  I've watched my budget and was imagining what I could buy with $75.00 

Unfortunately that was not to be.  I got a call at work from my wife.  She decided to put the check in the back and get cash for me at the grocery store.  She used her debit card to pay.  She responded "yes" to cash back and entered $75.00.  She grabbed her groceries and her receipt, but forget the cash for a brief moment.  Upon exiting the store, she quickly remembered her mistake.  She went back to the cash dispenser only to discover that her change had been taken. 

She felt certain that the "lady" behind her took it.  She called me from the parking lot, angry and upset by her carelessness and her fellow customer's dishonesty.  She apologized, calling herself an idiot.  She said, it was her fault and she'd replace my loss.

I disagreed that it wasn't my wife's fault, it was the fault of the thief, the opportunist.  How could I be angry with her?  Don't we all commit careless acts everyday? 

Our family policy is don't sweat the small stuff.  As long as a person wasn't hurt, it is small stuff. 

I told her I hoped the shopper behind her didn't use our money to buy drugs.  She said, "I'm afraid she might have." 

What possible reasons did this lady have for taking what wasn't hers?  Did she need the money more than us?  Did she think our loss was her gain?  Were we an answer to her prayers?  Was her gas gauge on empty?  Was her electricity bill overdue? 

Did she have a sick child at home who needed an office visit?  Did she use the money for formula and diapers? 

Was she an alcoholic in desperate need of a drink?  Was she going to buy pot or barter for someone's prescription drug?  How much methamphetamine does $75.00 buy? 

I'm more curious than angry. Why did she help herself to our cash?  Does she feel any remorse about taking what wasn't hers?  Did she brag to family and friends about her windfall?

What circumstances would induce me to commit this crime? 

Tomorrow, if the  the shopper if front of you leaves $75.00 in the cash dispenser would you do the same?  I hope you'd say, "Ma'am, excuse me, you forgot your cash."

© Copyright 2013 2serious (4fun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1932449-Maam-you-forgot-your-cash