*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933261-Origami-Flowers
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1933261
Kathy is amused by classmate Sean and his blue origami flowers.
Kathy was trying to pay attention to Mr. Franklyn's lesson on the Spanish-American War, but was having a hard time keeping focused. She was too busy watching the boy sitting next to her. His name was Sean and he had a reputation for causing trouble. However, all the trouble he caused really only affected himself.

In the first week of school, he leaned back in his chair, causing it to fall over. He had banged his head and had to go to the nurses' office. Then three weeks ago, the class had gone to the library to do some research for a class project. Sean had been acting like James Bond, dashing between aisles of books in a spy-like way, when he ran into a table, knocking it over and causing all the books to fall to the floor in a huge crash. Two weeks ago, he had stuck stickers onto his glasses during class. This silly act had gotten him a lot of laughs, but especially so when Sean realized he could not get the stickers off. He had had to go to the office and wait for the janitor to see if he had any cleaner that took stickers off of glass.

Today Kathy watched Sean as he pulled out a piece of blue paper from his desk and started to fold it, origami style, into a flower. Kathy was impressed with the little flower. To her shock, Sean picked up the flower, popped it into his mouth and started to chew on it.

"Sean," Mr. Franklyn stopped his lecture, "There is no gum chewing in my class. Please spit it out."

"But it's not gum, it's paper," Sean declared.

"Spit it out and don't do that again," Mr. Franklyn pointed to the trash can.

Reluctantly, Sean stood up, went to the front of the room, leaned over the trash can and made a very loud spitting sound. The blue paper made a wet thump noise as it hit the bottom of the trash can. Sean smiled as one of the girls cried out, "Eww, that is so gross."

Sean went back to his seat and Mr. Franklyn went back to his lesson. Several minutes later, Kathy watched as Sean pulled out another sheet of blue paper and began to fold it into another flower. He set it on his desk, pulled out another sheet of paper and folded it into a bird. Kathy had to cover her mouth with her hand to keep from laughing as she watched Sean pop both pieces of folded blue paper into his mouth.

He chewed on the paper, grinning that Mr. Franklyn hadn't seen him. Kathy tried to focus on the lesson. She looked down at her notes and realized she hadn't written anything in a while. She would just have to re-read the textbook chapter for homework.

Kathy looked back over at Sean. He turned to her and smiled. Kathy snorted a laugh. Sean's teeth were blue. She buried her face into her hands, trying hard not to laugh, but she couldn't help but stare at Sean and his blue teeth.

"What?" Sean mouthed at her, but when he did, a dribble of blue ink ran down his chin.

Kathy couldn't keep back her laughter this time. Mr. Franklyn and the rest of the class looked over at Kathy.

Mr. Franklyn looked quite upset. "Kathy, is there something funny you would like to share?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Franklyn, but Sean," Kathy started to laugh and pointed to Sean's face.

Everyone in the class turned to look at Sean and moments later burst into laughter. Even Mr. Franklyn started laughing. Sean's face turned red, except for his teeth and chin, which was now covered in blue ink.

"Sean, you've been eating paper again, even after I asked you not too." Mr. Franklyn couldn't stop smiling.

"Can I go to the bathroom?" Sean asked.

"No, my class has already been interrupted twice because of you. There is only five minutes left in class. You can go wash up after class is over."

"But Mr. Franklyn," Sean began.

"Maybe you will learn not to chew on paper during class." Everyone started laughing again. Mr. Franklyn held up his hand to bring everyone back to his attention so he could finish his lesson. Nothing Mr. Franklyn could say or do kept the class from looking in Sean's direction and giggling. He carried on with his lecture until he was done and was able to assign the homework just as the bell to end class rang.

Sean was the first out the door, his shirt pulled over his mouth. Later in the day, Kathy passed Sean in the hall. She could still see faint stains of blue on his mouth and chin.
© Copyright 2013 Idrylla (idrylla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1933261-Origami-Flowers