*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934037-Endangered-Species
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1934037
Human are an endangered species
Professor Cree set in front of the video console studying the couple in the enclosure. For the past week the cameras had ran 24/7 filming the pairs interactions, recording their every movement. The cameras had recorded the couple doing every human action, except the one human action the Felidae wanted to see. Standing on her hind legs, Cree unsheathed her front claws and stretched her six finger-like paws. Then she walked to the west wall and sharpened them on the hunter green shag carpet attached to the wall.

"Well," said Commander Mala walking into the room without knocking. "Have they performed the mating ritual yet?"

"No, Commander, and I don't think they will," Cree meowed as she walked back to the console and slumped into the chair. "The only things this pair seem to want to do is eat, sleep, defecate, urinate, and primp."

"Are you sure one of them is a male?"

"Yes, Commander," Cree rolled her eyes. "I've seen both of the naked several times. I can assure you that one is female and the other is male."

"Then why won't they mate," Mala growled. "We've only managed to bring three births to term and Doctor Scar thinks only one of those will be fertile. The Doctor thinks the problem is in the artificial wombs, but the technicians can't find anything wrong with wombs themselves." He circled the room three times, stopping at the west wall each time to sharpen his claws. "Cree," he stopped beside the console. "would artificial insemination work?"

"Commander, we've tried that with several different pairs. The problem always comes down to the fertility of the offspring." Cree shook her head, "We can't get them to mate in naturally in captivity and...." She began punching button on the console, within minutes the view on the screen changed. On the screen was a nine hundred year old newscast, "Commander, listen to this," she turned up the sound.

A blond news anchor said, "Breaking new from Global Genetic Laboratories in Las Vegas, Nevada." The anchor paused, "Doctor John McMann of GGL announced today that they have found a way to solve the global population problem." Cree turned the newscast off.

"I think that's the answer to our problem, Commander Mala!"

"What do you mean, Professor Cree?"

"Sir," she smiled. "I think the humans put themselves on the Endangered Species List. I suspect however Global Laboratories solved their overpopulation problem is the root cause of the issues we're having."

"Why didn't I hear about this a week ago?"

"Because, Commander, I just discovered this broadcast this morning when I was reviewing history files. That file footage is the only one of its kind I've found." She studied the expression on Mala's face, "Can you send an archeological team to Las Vegas, Nevada, to find Global Laboratories?"

"Yes, but in the meantime..."

"In the meantime, I will continue the work here."



© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934037-Endangered-Species