*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934384-Saving-the-World
by Shaara
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1934384
A six-year plots to overcome his brother's gang.
A Writers' Cramp prompt: (24 hours/1,000 words or less)

Write a story 1000 words or less or a poem 40 lines or less about what happens when a spy plots to take over a powerful organization.


Saving the World




My brother thinks he’s so smart, him and that group of his. They meet in the tree house. Dad says the tree house is half mine, too, but Jason won’t let me up there when his friends are roosting like a bunch of chickens.

Maybe those guys are doing something they shouldn’t. I bet that’s what it is. They’re smoking or drinking or maybe talking about girls. Yick.

I don’t understand why I can’t go up there with them. It’s my tree house, too.

I bet Dad would get mad if he found out Jason was keeping secrets in the tree house. Dad would lean back in his rocker, feet up in the air wearing those house slippers with that hole in the big toe where his sock pokes through, and he’d say, “Now, Jason. You have to be nice to your little brother. He’s only six, and he looks up to you. You let him join you guys now and then.”

At least I think that’s what Dad would say. But if he had a bad day, if one of his customer’s was grouchy and yelled at him, then Dad might say, “Now, Erik, you let your big brother have some time alone. He needs that. You go play. Make some mud pies, or something.”

Mom never lets me make mud pies. I don’t know why Dad always says that. Mom would have a cow and a half if I put dirt in one of her pans. Then she’d make me take off my clothes and get into the tub. Bad enough when I got to take a bath at night. I don’t want to take a bath earlier than I have to.

Sometimes the world’s rigged.

That’s what my best friend, Petey says. His father told him that. I thought the first time he said that it had something to with wigs, but it doesn’t. Petey says it just means that people try to cheat you out of stuff – like tree houses and fun times.

Geez, I wonder what they’re doing up there. Maybe, since it’s all top secret and stuff, maybe they’re planning to rob a candy store. I saw that on T.V. once. Of course those guys robbed a bank, but it’s the same thing. They sat around in secret and planned how to do the badness. Just like I bet my brother and his friends are doing.

Maybe I’ll just go spy on them, see what they really are up to.

Once I saw another movie where the bad guys were going to bomb a building. I don’t remember why they wanted to do that. Dad said it didn’t matter – the why. It was just a very bad thing to do.

But maybe that’s what my brother and them guys are doing. Someone told me bombs are easy to make. You just take baking soda and vinegar, put them together and they explode. I bet that’s what those guys are doing.

If that’s so, I have to spy on them. Dad would tell me to. He’d say it was a matter of gnat security. I think that’s what he called it that time we watched the bomb people.


So, here it goes. I’m going to climb up and spy on them, then I’ll . . . Well, if it’s gnat security, I have to tell Dad, but if it’s something else. . .

In the movie, the bad guys got killed. The police came and shot them all. I don’t want that to happen to Jason, even if he’s doing something he shouldn’t up in the tree house.

I think I’d better stop them, make them do something else.


***


Okay, I’m all dressed up. Got my batman costume on, except not the cape. Spies don’t wear capes. And I’m going to climb up and spy on them. Then I’m going to . . .

***

Geez, this is hard. No wonder not many people want to be spies. Too much work.

Mud pies? Dad said to make some mud pies. Maybe I could arm myself with some.

***


Four mud pies and Mom never caught me taking her pans. Now, all I have to do is creep up the ladder, spy on them, and if they’re doing something they shouldn’t, well then I’m going to take the whole place over. The mud pies are in my backpack, all ready to throw.

“Get out of here.” someone yells at me.

Who was that? Doesn’t matter. I’m gonna teach them to yell at a spy – a good spy, one’s who’s trying to keep them from getting shot by the police.

Smash. Smack. Pluush.

Shoot, missed with that one.

Whoomp.

Why they'd have to push me down?

“Ouch!” My elbow’s bleeding. “Daddy, Daddy. Jason pushed me down.”

Coming up from behind – my brother, madder than a bottled wasp. He’s got mud pie on his face and looks F U N N Y, but I don’t laugh. I have to cry, let Dad know I’m hurt.

“Dad, do you know what the little brat did this time?” Jason says even louder than my sobs.

But I’m not worried. After Dad fixes my elbow, I’ll tell him how I was only trying to keep Jason from getting in trouble. I’m sure Dad will understand. After all, like in that movie, I was on the side of good, trying to save the world.


900 words
© Copyright 2013 Shaara (shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1934384-Saving-the-World